Everton - Targeting Europe

• Thread starter Thread starter Aracnyd
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 13
  • Views Views 3K

Aracnyd

Reaction score
A changing of hands...

Everton FC have revealed that they and David Moyes are to part ways effective immediately. While the decision is being touted as amicable, there are reports that agitation between the board and manager, plus the lack of funds for the transfer market, have forced Moyes' hand and he had issued an ultimatum to the board of directors. This was seemingly disregarded and Moyes was given his marching orders.

The hunt for a new manager has begun and while the book makers have differing views on the favourite for the role, the candidates may have some concerns over the reports of the manner of Moyes' axing and the alleged difficulties in dealing with the board.
-----------------------------------------------------​

Everton, have announced the signing of a relative newcomer to the managerial profession. Adrian Colenso, who has previously only managed some minor league teams, will be taking charge as the manager for Everton FC.

Reports suggest that the club were forced to look outside their preferred targets when negotiation talks continuously broke down over their stringent policies. Colenso, who has had some success in his managerial history - with teams without high funding, was chosen to take the club forward.

How he will deal with the high level of pressure that the Premier League provides, and the respect he will need to gain from fans, players and staff at the club remains to be seen. Football fans across the country will look on with interest to see how Colenso copes.

I would like to note a couple of things, before I kick off the story:
A) I have a pretty poor track record when it comes to Football Manager and I generally fail to succeed at many of the clubs I manage - so this may be a short story :)
B) I will leave some of my thoughts in Italics like this and encourage anyone who has any thoughts of their own with regard to my ponderings and story to share with me.
C) I'll be playing sporadically. I might smash out half a season in one day and then take a week to play another in-game month. So try not to get frustrated if I don't post for a while here and there.
Oh, and
D) I realise that B & C are both making the bold assumption that people will be actually following my story with interest, which may be expecting too much for a relative newcomer like myself. But I will try to make it entertaining to keep people reading. :D

So, squad report.

View attachment 307131

I feel like I need:

Right Back - Probably back up for now
Goal Keeper - Back up, possibly young player to take over eventually

I am interested in signing a decent defensive midfielder as well though. I prefer Heitinga as a CB and I'd really like to free up Fellaini to play in a more advanced role.

A sticking point I am going to have is that I have a transfer pool of £1.4 million. Which makes it hard to sign someone decent for any of the roles, let alone all three!

I may have to look at loan deals for these players and maybe pick up a young player or two on the cheap. We'll see...

I thought, since Fellaini has a long term contract already signed, I can afford to keep him as a DM for the first season whilst I look at a couple of young replacements with good potential. I was looking at trying to sign Steven N'Zonzi but I can't see that happening until at least January, since at the moment He has informed me that He has no intention of signing with Everton. Hopefully I am well ahead of Stoke when January comes around, and that the board frees up some money for me because he won't go for 1.4 million. Haha. Any other ideas? Keep in mind, Everton's reputation won't attract the best of the best...

My pre season results weren't the best they could have been, but I have made a fair few tactical changes that has unsettled the players - I'm only a week out of round one and the team is only 50% proficient in the tactics I have laid out.

I found this interesting though, Anichebe came off the bench in every match and he scored in all but one of the games, somewhat like his real life counterpart.

View attachment 307133

During this pre season I received the customary interest in both Baines and Fellaini. I made my asking price 30 million for each to warn off the suitors, this however freaked out both players and I had to convince them that it was only since I really valued them. And in the case of Baines, this took a new contract worth £30,000 per week more...

It will certainly be an interesting start to the season.

So, that contract really set me back with my salary budget. Now I am even going to have trouble bringing in older players since they'll want a fair bit of coin...

I have mixed emotions about my team and the month of August. Firstly, transfers...

Minimal transfer activity.
I sold Coleman to Bolton for £3 million
+ loaned out around 5 reserve & U18 team players

Brought in David Albelda on a free transfer. He only recently finished his contract with Valencia and I picked him up.

I only signed him until the end of the season and I added a clause to have him stay on for one more after 20 league games. I brought him in for his experience mainly. He is a great leader for the team and I am hoping to pick up more players in January - including a young DM. Albelda will be right there to tutor him and improve the mental side of his game. Look at his mental stats!

View attachment 307295

Even though he has lower Technical stats, he can hopefully provide some inspiration for the other players and will be ready to step in come September.

I am going to have my scouts furiously scouring the globe to find this young DM prodigy by January. Any ideas as to where I should be looking? I'm thinking that a South American nation would be my best bet, but if I recall correctly, they wont let any youngsters go before they are 18 and I was hoping to have him in the youth or reserve team come Jan.

August, fixtures & performances...

View attachment 307299

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't expecting to set the world alight in my first month in charge, and the team only just got comfortable with the formations before the Arsenal game, but my loss to Villa was frustrating, I think that there were only 4 goal chances in the entire game. Bradford gave me a scare and keeping up with arsenal was a real plus.
------------------------------------------------------

EPL - Norwich - Home
1-0
Pienaar

M.O.M - Neville
End to end game against Norwich. Plenty of chances, just managed to sneak in for 3 points on opening day.

-------------------------------------------------------

EPL - Aston Villa - Away
1-0
Hutton

M.O.M - Hutton (a 50th min substitute too...)
As I said earlier, a boring game. I did start Coleman, to put him 'in the shop window' since I had a few potential buyers at this point (one of which was actually Villa). He played as well as anyone else on the field, with the exception of Hutton of course, but nothing exciting to note.

-------------------------------------------------------

Capitol One Cup - Bradford - Away
1-1 (1-3 extra time)
Jones Anichebe, Barkley, Jelavic

M.O.M - Baines
Cup competition that I probably should try harder to win since I probably wont be chalenging for the title, but I rested a couple of players for the Arsenal game coming up. I gave Anichebe a start and he didn't disappoint me. He scored the equaliser to get us into extra time, where I gave our most promising youngster, Ross Barkley a run out for 30 mins. He scored the goal to get us the lead and the momentum to win the game, I'm hoping for big things from this young attacking midfielder in the coming seasons.

-----------------------------------------------------

EPL - Arsenal - Home
1-1
Anichebe Podolski

M.O.M - Arteta
Anichebe on as a substitute this game and scored the equaliser after Podolski got Arsenal the lead. I was fairly impressed with the team's effort, I started this game defensively and we held them out until after half time, but once we went down, I brought on Anichebe and Naismith and ran with two fresh strikers, which payed off in the end. I didn't shut up shop after that though, and ran the last 10 minutes out chasing 3 points instead of just settling for the draw.

I am going to persist with Barkley since he is my brightest talent at the moment, but I am curious to know if anyone has given him some time and effort. How did he turn out? How did you use him? Minifletch did you give him a run with your Everton save?

I thought I'd share with you the formations I have been using through Pre-Season and August.

I have rotated between these two so far. Occasionally moving a player forward or back here and there during a game, but no real heavy deviations from these.
I also have a 4-4-2 formation with a flat back and mid setup lead by a ST and an AMC. However I havent used this one yet and am saving it for a suprise tactic later on to catch my opponents off guard.

I don't like to play too negatively but I may create a 5-4-1 later depending on how many goals I'm scoring. If I start banging in more then I can afford to not sit on a lead, but If i'm only winning by a goal each time, or start drawing heaps I may have to harden up my defence. I have 3 very good CBs in Jagielka, Heitinga & Distin so this could work if need be.

September fixtures

View attachment 308668

Not really a great second month at the helm either. Most dissapointing was the loss to Fulham. Losing to Utd wasn't a shock, but at least we put in a good display. Otherwise, not an awe inspiring month of fixtures...
-----------------------------------------------

EPL - West Ham - Away
0-0

M.O.M- Tomkins
Only 2 major chances, Jelavic hit the crossbar and Carrol headed over, an unremarkable draw to be honest, I'm a little surprised that Tomkins got man of the match really, its not like there were many chances on goal for him to close down and block, but I guess nobody else really played good enough to warrant it either.

EPL - Fulham - Away
3-0
Duff, Petric x2

M.O.M - Petric
From everton's point of view, rubbish game. Anichebe hit the crossbar. That was it. Our defenders went to sleep, I am pretty sure Duff's goal was a cross gone wrong though. He hit it from outside the box and 2 yards in from the touchline with his outside foot...

Capital On Cup - Birmingham - Away
0-1
Anichebe

M.O.M - Distin
Only real chance Birmingham had was in the 60th minute and they hit the crossbar from inside the area. Otherwise it was Everton, Everton, Everton. Should have won by more, but at least this showed some promising signs against a League Championship side that wouldn't be out of place in the top flight.

EPL - Man Utd - Home
1-2
Anichebe Kagawa, Nani

M.O.M - Fellaini
Again the woodwork cost us dearly, 3 times we struck it. We created plenty of chances but poor finishing let us down. Utd dominated us though, we just created most of these chances on the break. Possession was dismal for a home game...

I was starting to get concerned by the results that I was having, but found that a couple of changes in formation helped to turn it around. I really do enjoy the affect that some minor changes can bring. I am still trying to find a tactic that can be a steady fall back though. Any suggestions? I'm considering a simple 4-4-2 even but I don't know that it would suit my playing staff...I have a team with plenty of advanced midfield players, but not enough consistency to rely on that attacking style of formation.

Can an injured player still act as a tutor? Will they actually be doing anything? Or will it just be a waste of time? You'll see why I ask in my next post...

October fixtures and results

View attachment 308696

A little better in terms of results. Still points dropped, however I feel that we may be stabilizing at least. Not very lucky this month for injuries though, we may be looking at a poor November coming up.
------------------------------------------

EPL - Sunderland - Away
0-6
Pienaar, Jagielka, Jelavic, Baines x2, Barkley

M.O.M - Baines
Dominant. Possession, shots on target, tackles, passing percentages - all ahead. Goals speak to that tune, both of Baines were penalties, but they were late in the game and therefore would not have caused Sunderland to have been demoralised and leak more.

EPL - Wigan - Home
1-2
Pienaar Boyce, Di Santo

M.O.M - Boyce
I don't really want to talk about it...my defence were lazy and in contrast Wigan were very tight and drilled. Our goal came from a quick break, but Boyce ran through the whole team and banged it in. What was that all about? Also, just to put a dent in us turning our fortunes around, Pienaar was injured with 15 mins remaining...a broken arm, caused by the man of the hour Boyce as well. Sigh...

EPL - Reading - Away
1-1
Pogrebnyak Mirallas

M.O.M - Baines
Played majority of the game was played in Reading's defensive third, however we didn't make them pay (just for a change) and it ended up in the draw. I did laugh however though, Steve Round, my assistant manager, kept telling me how bad Baines was playing. Then he gets voted man of the match. haha, Round must have some high expectations.

-----------------------------------------

Capital One Cup - Fulham - Away
0-1 (extra time)
Vellios

M.O.M - Neville
When I got drawn against Fulham I groaned out load. Considering how we got thumped by them last time I was less than impressed. I was encouraged though to see that Berbatov was starting the match but hadn't scored for around 6 or so games. We had the more possession, but Fulham had more chances. I reckon Howard should have recieved man of the match, but Neville was also outstanding. Vellios, what a masterstoke by the manger there. Handed his first team debut and scores the winner in the second half of extra time!

With Pienaar injured, I am concerned as to how Barkley will progress. I have him tutoring him on his mental attributes, so I hope that it will be ok, but I'd hate to waste his potential because of this unlucky turn of events. I have developped a 5-4-1 formation to start to lock down these tougher matches or sometimes to start off withy to soak up the pressure at the beginning. Looking ok so far...

Transfer update.

I have secured the services of some young players who will be joining us in the fast approaching January transfer window.

View attachment 308713

View attachment 308714

The two of these players combied will cost me £1.3 million so I'm not complaining too much. I reckon I will at least have them ready to go off on loan by next season with some tactical tutoring and a little bit of game time, here and there.

As you can see one of them is the young DM I was hoping to bring in for Albelda to tutor. Even if I'm not getting the results I'm wanting at least I'm building or the future.

That last part sounded like another Premier League manager that I know of. Oh well, as long as they possess great 'quality' and 'potential' lol.

November fixtures

View attachment 309527

More consolidating I guess you could call it. At least I stopped getting thumped, but this may have something to do with the quality of my opposition this month. A little dissapointing that I couldn't ****** more points but there were a few well earned draws too.

EPL - Stoke - Away
0-0

M.O.M - Shawcross
Played really well, but A congested fixture list at the end of last month left my team with some tired legs. I need to add some depth to my team in January I think. Plenty of possession and chances, but tiredness may have contributed to some lack of composure?

EPL - Southhampton - Away
1-1
Schneiderling Barkley

M.O.M - Bardachow
Stats were fairly even through this game. Plenty of chances all around. I am very pleased with the performances of Barkley. He is really putting in some good contributions in his last few games. Got a couple of goals too!

----------------------------------------

EPL - Tottenham - Away
0-0

M.O.M - Walker
Howard made some key saves to keep us in this match. My centre halfs were beasts also. Jagielka and Distin were making plenty of interceptioons and goal mouth challenges. Yes, they shouldn't be getting in there in the first place, but at least they were dealing with them when they did. Oh, Lennon got a yellow card for diving. I laughed.

---------------------------------------

EPL - West Brom - Home
1-2
Anichebe Morrison, Gera

M.O.M - Morrison
Dissapointing in this game. coneded twice late. Anichebe scores off the bench again. But by far the biggest let down was Albelda. He started, which was a rarity so far since he is only slowly gaining match fitness. He got injured after 25 mins and had to be substituted. I find out after the match that he has done cruciate ligament damage in his knee. Out for around 9 months. He then goes to the media and proclaims that he will be seriously considering retiring now! I have only just finally organised his understudy and this happens....

------------------------------------

EPL - Liverpool - Home
1-0
Jelavic

M.O.M - Jagielka
By far the most pleasing result for my fans and the board. It will definitely buy me some time to turn the season around. We actually dominated in the stats and it could truely have been worse for our rivals. Jagielka earned his man of the match honor because he stopped so many chances before they materialised. He was cutting out passes, tackling players outside the 18 and generally hassling the opposition to keep them off their game. Piennar made his return from injury towards the end of this game and did well.

I hadn't been paying a great amount of attention to the league table and I realised after this last match, that Liverpool were sitting dead last in the league! 4 points from safety. I generally like to raid teams for players that get relegated at the end of each season. Buy them cheap and lure them with the chance of top flight football again. Liverpool would have ghreat stocks of players to choose from. But I realised immidiately that this would not be happening. I would be hung by the suppporters if I went and bought 'pool players. I was wondering though, is there any way to minimise the fans' reaction to purchasing players from your rivals?

December fixtures

View attachment 310427

I would say this was my best month to date. Some wins finally, and good results against tough opposition.One extremely frustrating result, but all in all a good month. Hopefully I can steer the team a bit better and get into the european placings. Not out of my reach just yet, I've still got half a season to go.

EPL - Chelsea - Away
0-0

M.O.M - Distin
Solid game by the boys here. I went against my philosophy and played defensively. But the players were well organised and they kept chelsea at bay. Any one of my defenders could have got the MOM award, except for Baines, who got injured...that was a real dissapointment. Out for 3 weeks. Not impressed at all.

Capital 1 Cup - Millwall - Away
1-3
Marquis Gueye x2, Aichebe

M.O.M - Gueye
I'm thinking that I should give a new player a debut each game. Every time I do, they have a great performance. Gueye's first run out in the senior squad and he didn't let me down. Yes, Millwall aren't a top flight team, but they weren't weaklings either. Anichebe is a beast in the C1C too! He is leading the scoring charts. Yes, 3 goals isn't that many, but its more than the rest!

EPL - Manchester City - Home
1-1
Mirallas
Nastasic

M.O.M - Mirallas
Played our socks off in this game. Really unlucky to lose it in the end. Very even stats between both teams and their goal was only a scrambled trike off a Howard parried save from a corner. Mirallas has been hot and cold so far this season, so to get a good performance out of him gainst top opposition was very pleasing.

This may be my most favourite part of the City match. I responded to comments from Mancini leading up to the match an I couldn't resist using the second comment that I did. My backroom staff were advising me to get on his good side, but I figured that I wouldn't be getting any players from City at this point in time anyhow. It probably hasn't done me any favours though. See below attachment. Haha

EPL - Newcastle - Away
0-1
Gibson

M.O.M - Gibson
I played Gibson today and he cost me 750k due to a clause in his transfer from Man Utd. He payed it back though with a screamer of a goal! All of 35 yards out and he smashed it into the top corner. Krul had no hope of stopping it. All in all though, we controlled the game again and deserved the result.

EPL - Swansea - Home
1-1
Mirallas Graham

M.O.M - Fellaini
Fairly quiet game, Mirallas left it late for the equaliser through...90+1 mins...but we got the point that I needed. A quick look at the stats showed that Swansea only had one shot on target. How frustrating...the only save Howard had to make and he stuffed it. Oh well. This month I have been hounded about my job security from the press so these results have been giving me some breathing room.

Also, Pienaar came off injured and I feared the worst. But it turns out that he'll only miss one game.

EPL - QPR - Away
5-1
Mbia, Cisse x2, Maloney, Zamora Neville

M.O.M - Cisse
I don't even know what to say about this. I guess I had to lose sometime this month, but not by so much... My defenders all went to sleep, let the opposition run and shoot without pressure. I play a high pressing tactic, but the players obviously had other ideas...

EPL - Norwich - Away
0-3
Jelavic x2, Gibson

M.O.M - Jelavic
Jelavic played like the target man that he should all of the time. both goals came from him attacking the ball in the air. He has been really hot and cold this campaign and seems to be very moody i guess. I don't think I have once had a team talk that gained a positive response from him. In fact, he criticised me in the media for saying the wrong thing earlier in the season...

Any ideas for dealing with my performances? I have really close results most games even if I have more scoring opportunities. For some reason my team isn't clinical enough. none of my forwards or AMCs have a composure stat over 14, but with the amount of chances they are missing, It can't just be that...I don't know.

Last edited:
Back