Every Season... Unbeatable Team Becomes The Opposite During October

• Thread starter Thread starter Zeldja
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 7
  • Views Views 2K

Zeldja

Reaction score
Hello FM Base,

I'm fairly new to Football Manager and am hoping to learn a few extra things from various sites such as this and guidetofootballmanager. Right now I'm producing a let's play series which is going superbly, I haven't dropped any points in my season with Swindon Town thus far (I'm around 8 games in I believe). However, I have played with Swindon before and as soon as October time comes around, my results seem to go downhill and rapidly.

It's first noticeable with a drop in shots/shots on target, then we will be scoring fewer goals during games... soon enough, we'll be chasing one or two goal deficits every match and there seems to be no answer to this.

I have also started playing a season with Cambridge City and have brought in some great performers into my team including Gareth Seddon who at the start of the year was averaging 8.0-8.1. During the first few weeks we shot up the table to reach second place behind a Mansfield team that had yet to lose a match. When facing them for the first time in the league I thought it would be time to try and reduce the lead they had on us by attacking late on in the game (when they - Mansfield - tended to concede most goals). However, Mansfield managed to counter and grab two goals in quick succession - fair enough - my players were still very happy after the game and I didn't think much of it, it was just a poor decision to attack.

Now however, it's the 26th of November and we're heading to Wrexham on the back of three losses and a draw and I can't see my squad improving any time soon...

From looking at other posts here is what I have tried:
  • Bringing in youth players to shake up the squad a little.
  • Creating a new 4-4-2 (rigid/counter) tactic instead of relying on my current 4-3-1-2 and 4-5-1 formations.
  • Holding a team meeting (which significantly boosted squad morale but to little avail).
  • Playing my youth squad in the FA cup to give my entire first team a rest.
============================================================================

For a graphical representation of my problems,

============================================================================

TL;DR

Essentially what I'm asking is this: is there a way to turn around results in a team that has suddenly started losing every match?

Thanks!

EDIT: I may have got Stockport and Mansfield mixed up a little :S

Last edited:
Anybody? I mean seriously, doesn't anybody else get this?

I'd like to say that all the stuff you're doing except the team meeting you've done is aggravating it you just have to let it pass and you'll do well again. It's all about boosting morale and getting hammered in the FA Cup isn't helping.

Just have team meetings and say the right things. Shuffle your squad well, make sure players are well rested and aren't doing too much training. I've been through similar patches before, and trust me, it's not Sports Interactive somehow conspiring to make their customers lose towards the second half of the season so they are forced to play more of the game to try and avenge defeats. Although it does feel like that at times :S

Thanks for the feedback, gogogo I've had a look at squad morale and have been talking to players individually. Also, for the team talks I've been a little more sympathetic (especially in away matches). On top of that, I have stuck with a new 4-4-1-1 formation (making use of a quality CAM and my main striker who has decent positioning-kind-of stats to run on to through balls). Malhar, I've been making sure nobody in my squad starts a match below 90 condition or has got a 6.5 rating or below in the previous game, it seems to be working a little better than before.

This is what I'm hoping will be a turning point in the season,

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/823/whyss.png/

Thanks for the feedback.

good to see...good luck for the rest of the season!

Can I (strongly) suggest you download fm-grid-system-tactic!!

I am currently using with Bristol Rovers, Clyde, Celtic & Liverpool - and they are all leading their respective leagues by a country mile.

It has also given me the chance to play youngsters in the first team (who all perform to expectations - particularly Rovers & Clyde). Each of the Strikers are banging them in for fun - 30+ goals guaranteed!!

You wont be disappointed and will see immediate results :D

Back