• Replies Replies 19
  • Views Views 5K
Status
Not open for further replies.

sunilvk7

SAF greatest ever.
Reaction score
http://www.liverpool-kop.com/2010/10/exclusive-liverpool-vs-man-united.html
EXCLUSIVE: Liverpool vs. Man United - Transfer spending comparison: 1990-2010 *Never published before*

How much money have Liverpool FC and Manchester United spent on transfers between 1990 and 2010? For the first time ever, either online or offline, here is a comparison between the two clubs for that time period.

NOTES

* The figures include all transfers up to and including Roy Hodgson's activity in the transfer market.

* The figures (bar Hodgson's transfers and Ferguson's transfers since July 2009) have been compiled from the club's official financial accounts, i.e. a factual, irrefutable source. The club accounts are inalienable; there is a legal duty to provide accurate, correct figures on a yearly basis. Thus, any other figures in the press/on other websites that do not match these figures are WRONG.

For the purposes of this article, I've used the official LFC website for Hodgson's figures and the official Man United website for Ferguson's 2009-10 transfers. Obviously, both are reliable sources.

* Adjustment for inflation is not necessary here. It’s ridiculous to even suggest it (as many did in my last article). I am merely presenting the facts - a like for like comparison between the two clubs.

LIVERPOOL FC vs. MAN UNITED: TRANSFER SPENDING - 1990-2010

EVIDENCE

Below are snippets from every set of accounts detailing the transfer spending figures:

Liverpool

1990 | 1991 | 1992 | 1993 | 1994 | 1995 | 1996 | 1997 | 1998 | 1999

2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009

Man United

* In the process of being added.

KEY POINTS

Recently, I posted a transfer spending comparison between Rafa Benitez and Alex Ferguson for the years 2004-2010. It showed that Benitez had a higher gross and net spend during that period. Inevitably, the same old lame excuses started flowing: 'what about before 2004?' 'Ferguson had years to build a team'; and the best one: 'You have to look back to 1990 to get an accurate picture'.

So - here it is: a comparison from 1990. And what does it show?

* Contrary to what everyone seems to think, Liverpool has actually spent MORE than Man United since 1990.

* United dominated the Premier League in the 1990s despite having both a lower gross and net spend than Liverpool.

I could go on listing countless conclusions but I'm not going to - these figures prove once and for all that using net spend as an indicator of a manager's effectiveness in the transfer market is absolute nonsense.

The bottom line is this: Man U have spent less on players that Liverpool since 1990, yet they have 11 league titles and 2 Champions League trophies.

What these figures show is the importance of spending your money WISELY. It's not just about money though; the manager has to be good enough to get the best out of the players he has, and far too often, Liverpool managers have failed in this regard.

These figures are damning indictment of how poorly the club's money has been spent by *all* LFC managers. £528m spent on players, and what does the club have to show for it? A spend of £58m per trophy. Given the huge amounts of money *wasted* on the wrong players since 1990, it is no surprise at all that the club has not won the league for 20 years.

Souness had enough money; Evans had enough money; Houllier had enough money, and Benitez had enough money. To varying degrees, all 4 of those managers wasted lots of money on dross, which had a knock on, cumulative effect on the club's ability to consistently compete.

Now - sit back and watch the Pro-Benitez brigade throw out more desperately lame excuses that in an attempt to argue *yet again* that he hasn't had enough money to compete (!).

Excuses to watch out for:

"But United had the benefit of youth players coming through (Beckham, Giggs etc)"
Yes, so did Liverpool with Fowler, Owen, McManaman, Redknapp etc. The difference is in the management of those players. Ferguson got the best out of his youth; Evans, Houllier and Benitez did not.

"But what about inflation!"
Utterly irrelevant here for obvious (already explained) reasons.

"But Benitez had bad owners to deal with"

That didn't seem to matter when Liverpool finished 2nd in 2008, did it? Plus, Benitez has spent 54% of the club's TOTAL available transfer funds since 1990 (!). And the net spend cult has the chutzpah to suggest he has not been funded?!

"But Benitez had to buy to sell"
Using that logic, surely Ferguson had to as well? That didn't make any difference to United's march to success in the 90s though, did it?

"But Liverpool has a lower net spend between 1990 and 2010".
The net spend cult will argue that this means Liverpool have spent LESS than United. God, the idiocy of such an argument is amazing! How can £528m spent on players be less than the £486 spent by United? Any reasonable minded person can see this is nonsense, but that is precisely what the net spent cult will argue. With a straight face.

Here is another example of the net spend cult's ridiculous logic: turn the figures around a minute: if it was Liverpool with a lower spend than United then they would all be foaming at the mouth arguing how we could not compete because of having less money. Apply that to United: how on earth did Ferguson compete over the last 20 years? He spent less money that Liverpool but won more trophies, and this was coming off a barren spell of 26 years without winning the title (!) whereas Liverpool were coming off a 15 year streak of superb form.

"But you have to back to start of Ferguson's reign to get the most accurate picture"
And if I do that and the figures don't reflect what people want them to, I'll be told I have to go back the start of the 80s; then back to the 70s; basically as far back as I can until the figure match what some Liverpool fans want to see.

I'm so sick of this net-spend nonsense. Ultimately though, this article is not about that; it's important to have accurate figures out there, which is why I've provided them.

Going forward, it's clear that the club's money has to spent smartly over the next few years. The RIGHT players have to be bought; no more expensive mistakes; tens of millions cannot continue to be wasted on dross/players who don't fit in/players with injury histories.

http://www.liverpool-kop.com/2010/10/exclusive-liverpool-vs-man-united.html

Everyone just blatantly believed that Liverpool had no money to spend, but that was not the case.They have spent more than us. Its not about only money, its about how well you have spent it.

It is explained in detail. This was posted in Kop.com.

p.s Posted this thread not to create arguments, just to prove the famous notion wrong.

Your net spend is higher. Therefore, you have had more money given to you to spend...

p.s Posted this thread not to create arguments, just to prove the famous notion wrong

So you're trying to cause an argument :P

Your net spend is higher. Therefore, you have had more money given to you to spend...

The article said:
"But Liverpool has a lower net spend between 1990 and 2010".
The net spend cult will argue that this means Liverpool have spent LESS than United. God, the idiocy of such an argument is amazing! How can £528m spent on players be less than the £486 spent by United? Any reasonable minded person can see this is nonsense, but that is precisely what the net spent cult will argue. With a straight face.

They can read your mind..

I can say your gross was higher so you spent more but still with difference of 22M, you can see what we have achieved.

this doesn't factor in wages, nor is any of this even new. It only tells us what we already knew, souness massively did the damage to them lot and they've been paying for it ever since.

this doesn't factor in wages, nor is any of this even new. It only tells us what we already knew, souness massively did the damage to them lot and they've been paying for it ever since.

It was very detailed, so only posted this.

You may well include wages and revenue too. Even then we have lowest wages to turnover ratio in league.

It was very detailed, so only posted this.

You may well include wages and revenue too. Even then we have lowest wages to turnover ratio in league.
yeah,but we have a frankly massive turnover.

yeah,but we have a frankly massive turnover.

That comes with Business model isn't it. I got what you implied in your first post, i just wanted to make it clear that we can even talk about how well clubs were run in that era.

I can say your gross was higher so you spent more but still with difference of 22M, you can see what we have achieved.

You have had a much better manager than we have, and your batch of youth players for that time were jammy (Scholes, Giggs Etc) meaning you didn't need to spend as much. But as someone's mentioned, is the wages which are massively important

You have had a much better manager than we have, and your batch of youth players for that time were jammy (Scholes, Giggs Etc) meaning you didn't need to spend as much. But as someone's mentioned, is the wages which are massively important

Like DMF said, the writer has read all your minds.
Excuses to watch out for:

"But United had the benefit of youth players coming through (Beckham, Giggs etc)"
Yes, so did Liverpool with Fowler, Owen, McManaman, Redknapp etc. The difference is in the management of those players. Ferguson got the best out of his youth; Evans, Houllier and Benitez did not.

Blaming Benitez for not bringing through Mcmananan, Fowler, Owen ETc is silly, Rafa had none of those players, apart from Fowler for a few months at 33/4 year old.

but as the comments show even his argument is flawed:

he says net spend is irrelevant, but as one person put it:
Net spend is the most accurate way of looking at it. Lets go to the extreme to prove this point.

Imagine Club A had no cash in 1990 but a squad of players with high transfer values. Every year, they sold the 2 oldest players in the squad for 25m each and replaced them with two younger players for 25m each. They did this for 20 years. During that time, the net spend would be ZERO. Gross spend would be 1000m (50m X 20 years)

Now for Club B. They have bought a new player every summer for around 25m but just kept their older players until they retire. In that period they dont sell a player. At the end of the 20 years, their net spend is 25m X 20 = 500m. Their gross spend is also 500m

Now, I know this is an extreme and completely hypothetical scenario but the fact is that using your theory, Club B has spent less and been more efficient in the transfer market, just because their gross spend is less. Can you not see how ridiculous your theory is? Seriously?!!

Blaming Benitez for not bringing through Mcmananan, Fowler, Owen ETc is silly, Rafa had none of those players, apart from Fowler for a few months at 33/4 year old.

Yes, I agree and have no clue why he brought Rafa's name.

Even then the difference is only 22M. And we can see the difference rite.
I could go into why i disagree, but to be honest the last few weeks have been about nothing but liverpool and or United, and for this reason im out. Cant close the thread for the sake of it, but it seems most people are beginning to get sick of the constant mention of our clubs. I know I am.

I could go into why i disagree, but to be honest the last few weeks have been about nothing but liverpool and or United, and for this reason im out. Cant close the thread for the sake of it, but it seems most people are beginning to get sick of the constant mention of our clubs. I know I am.

Then close the thread. I didnt start this thread for arguments. Found it interesting.

Yes, because this wont cause any arguments at all.
Even Madsheep is arguing/disagreeing, and he's a united fan.

I think the more important thing to look at, would be, how much of that has been spent on £20M + players, and how much has been spent on £2/3 M players, i'd say United have had more of them...

Ok, I;m closing this thread as it might really cause arguments and heated discussions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back