cityblues

Reaction score
Hi guys.

I did really well on FM08 with my own tactics, but iv'e been taken back by FM09 (). It just seems impossible. I win all the pre-season games by 11-0, 9-0, 5-0 etc etc, but when the first league game comes along, I get beaten by Hull everytime

So..........

Iv'e read through the TT&F 09 thread on The SI Forums and im still having massive problems with tactics.....

Im gonna detail a new tactic I quite fancy and was wondering if people could have a quick look and tell me what they think please?

Its a standard 4-3-3 with a flat back four, flat three in the centre and a flat three up-top, played narrow and at a slow tempo.

The central midfielders are all defensive quality players (Kompany, Veloso & Palombo) and their job would be to pass short (low mixed on the slider), tackle hard and rarely Shoot long or use through balls. for FWR & RWB, they will have mixed on the slider. The creative setting would be about a 6 and the mentality about a ten. Crossing for all these players would be mixed and from deep positions on the pitch. Tackling would be set at normal with closing down at 10.

Up top on the left and right the players would have a mentality of about 15, but again with a low creativity setting of about 6. their passing would be set to low short. The central striker (Robinho) would have a backwards arrow and ticked for freerole & playmaker. He would have a mentality setting of around 12, but with full RWB and through balls (FWR would be set at mixed) and a creativity setting of 15 (only player with a high creativity setting). Robinho's passing would be mixed (middle of slider). Crossing from Robinho would be mixed and deep. For the other two strikers higher up, crossing would be mixed, from the byline. Closing down from all players set at maximum with tackle hard.

The back four would be very defensive and all have the the same settings of mentality 7, creativity 5, rare RWB, FWR, LS & Through ball. They would rarely cross from deep and the passing set at short on the slider. Closing down would be set to about 5.

On the team settings, I would simply choose to select playmaker and man marking/ tight. For the three strikers however, I would change this to loose/ zonal. Passing would be focused mixed ans time wasting at about 7 with a deep defensive line.

So, on them tactics, what do you think as a starting point? Hopefully the tactics should be very disciplined and the team should control the possession without letting much past.

Thank you for tacking the time to read this and I appreciate any feedback

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First off i would like to say whoaaw :|

You seem to have put alot of thought into those tactics which is good. Is it just me or does it sound very Italian?

remember to give it time

Cheers mate.

The game is driving me insane and im desperate for a tactics to build from and bored of other teams getting to many chances on me (wh).

I heard that players dont really listen to your tactics at the beginning because your 'obscure', but that you can change yourself as manager to a well-known one? Is this true, and how do you do it?

:p

well am sunderland and am top of the league after 15 game only lost 1 and won the rest. never bought no one either. im using the standard 4-4-2 attacking style.

That tight midfield is leaving you exposed down the flanks, and however good your wing backs are they won't be able to cope with two players as your opponents wing back undoubtedly gets forward to exploit this space. You are also limiting your attacking options with this formation - again, lack of width is your enemy, and unless you have some players with supremely high ball skill, your opportunities will be limited. My first suggestion would be to widen the midfield, to offer yourself some width. As you clearly have a range of defensive midfielders, I would employ these in the defensive role centrally and try to build some attacks down the wings, putting in crosses, etc. If you are Man City? (I'm guessing from the players) you could possibly use Vassell as a target man to knock headers down for Robinho to do his magic. To carry this out, you would need to play a t a higher tempo as possibly invest in a pacey left winger - SWP would be superb for this role down the right.