Ferdinand may miss Man Utd run-in

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 17
  • Views Views 647

BBC Sport

BBC Sport News Headlines
Reaction score
Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand could miss the rest of the season after failing to recover from a calf injury.

More...

Although it is a big blow we have had cover from Smalling. Smalling is doing very well and we should have J.Evans back for the weekend.

Huge miss if this is true. And if it is true then i expect Utd to drop more points then i thought they would have done.

Smalling has done well, but I wouldn't be confident in Jonny Evans to fill in, personally should they get another defensive injury.

Big miss if true.

Huge miss if this is true. And if it is true then i expect Utd to drop more points then i thought they would have done.

Its a loss, but I don't think its as big as some people make out imo. They seem to be doing okay at the moment without him. And Smalling has plenty of experienced pros around to help him out and keep him settled

Huge miss. Even Vidic is not fit and wont be playing against Bolton. That makes it even bigger blow.

This is what Fergie said.

Rio has been out for a few weeks now," said Ferguson.

"We are not looking at this as a short-term situation.

"He has not started training yet. We will be lucky to get him back for some part of the season."

Not at all looking, Might be his season his over.

Possibility of mind games?

I think he might be making Rio seem worse than it is, maybe for a surprise return against City/Arsenal?

Its a loss, but I don't think its as big as some people make out imo. They seem to be doing okay at the moment without him. And Smalling has plenty of experienced pros around to help him out and keep him settled

Smalling has done very well, but with Rio we are completely different defensive unit. He will be missed in the crunch games for sure. He played very well whenever he was fit this season.

Lets just hope its not going to be the start, of the types of injuries that blights the latter stages of a footballers career. would hate to see that happen to him

Smalling has done very well, but with Rio we are completely different defensive unit. He will be missed in the crunch games for sure. He played very well whenever he was fit this season.
not as big a blow as you think, take a look at number of games Rio has missed over the last 3 years, its quite substansial.

If we survived last season with the majority of our defenders injured for a period of time then i'm sure we can survive this. Smalling is more than capable of stepping up and hopefully Jonny Evans can rediscover his form he showed in 09 to lessen the blow.

Ferguson has said that Ferdinand could be out for the rest of the season.

O'Shea out for five weeks.

Rafael out for three weeks.

---------- Post added at 04:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:09 PM ----------

not as big a blow as you think, take a look at number of games Rio has missed over the last 3 years, its quite substansial.

But when you consider our record with him and without him, you can see the difference. Smalling has done well, but there will be games where we will need Rio's experience.

Good News for Arsenal

bad news for Rio and Man u

shouldn't really make any difference as i'd say he'd have a fight on his hands to get back in to the first team 11 after the recent form of Chris Smalling. it's a blow for Rio though who just seems to be picking up one after the other.

Still confident we can win the league with these injury problems but I'm not sure we'll be able to get the other two...especially the CL.

shouldn't really make any difference as i'd say he'd have a fight on his hands to get back in to the first team 11 after the recent form of Chris Smalling. it's a blow for Rio though who just seems to be picking up one after the other.

I really don't think that's true tbh. Smalling has been excellent, admittedly, but Rio's experience plays a huge part in how good a defender he is, and Smalling still lacks experience. The game's that he has played, and done well in, haven't been the most difficult games (Not to take anything away from his performances) and I still think that his age hinders him slightly in the big games - for example, he didn't do so well at Anfield, and gave away a penalty against Chelsea.

In any case, Rio's injury means one less CB to cover if you get an injury or suspension to one of Smalling and/or Vidic. You've seen what happens when you have Brown at CB with Smalling at Anfield - you were ripped apart.

Just so I don't get accused of outrageous bias and trolling, I actually really rate Smalling. He was brilliant on his Fulham debut and looks right at home at Utd. It's also a ****** having Rio out for England, though I think we have suitable cover providing Capello doesn't pick Matty Upson again.

I really don't think that's true tbh. Smalling has been excellent, admittedly, but Rio's experience plays a huge part in how good a defender he is, and Smalling still lacks experience. The game's that he has played, and done well in, haven't been the most difficult games (Not to take anything away from his performances) and I still think that his age hinders him slightly in the big games - for example, he didn't do so well at Anfield, and gave away a penalty against Chelsea.

In any case, Rio's injury means one less CB to cover if you get an injury or suspension to one of Smalling and/or Vidic. You've seen what happens when you have Brown at CB with Smalling at Anfield - you were ripped apart.

Just so I don't get accused of outrageous bias and trolling, I actually really rate Smalling. He was brilliant on his Fulham debut and looks right at home at Utd. It's also a ****** having Rio out for England, though I think we have suitable cover providing Capello doesn't pick Matty Upson again.
the problems with brown and smalling camelargely from the lack of midfield protection. Its a blow but not as big as people make out (as i said before, check just how many games, and big ones at that, that rio has missed in the last 3 years). our run in doesnt include many hugely difficult games, bar arsenal, so he will cope just fine with vidic

Back