• Thread starter Thread starter sunilvk7
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 18
  • Views Views 1K

sunilvk7

SAF greatest ever.
Reaction score
United boss planning for keeper's retirement at the end of the season

Sir Alex Ferguson expects Manchester United goalkeeper Edwin van der Sar to retire from playing at the end of the season.

Van der Sar turned 40 at the end of October and the Dutchman remains a reliable presence between the posts for United.

He has yet to give any firm indication of whether he will continue his career beyond this season, but Ferguson is planning for the keeper's retirement.

Ferguson believes that Van der Sar would not want his form to drop and also confirmed he wanted to spend more time with his wife Annemarie, who suffered a brain-related illness last year.

Big loss

"I have come to accept this will be Edwin's last season," Ferguson told The People. "It's sad but the difficulty for a goalkeeper when he gets to 40 is something which happened with Peter Shilton.

"All of a sudden, because of age, Shilton's form just collapsed and I don't think Edwin would want that. He is such a proud man and it's going to be a big loss.

"We had a chat last season about how he saw his future and he explained to me his plans, and nothing has changed from then.

"It's difficult because he has his wife's health to consider after her *illness.

"She is fine now and seems to be really good but she still has treatments to get in Holland, with physiotherapy and things like that. So for him to be here with us would be difficult."

The Red Devils have already agreed a deal to sign Denmark international Anders Lindegaard, but Ferguson is considering bringing in another keeper after being linked with the likes of Maarten Stekelenburg, Manuel Neuer and David De Gea.

He added: "We haven't finalised our thoughts on the goalkeeping situation.

"Edwin has massive experience and you can't buy that, so it's a difficult one because he has been a great *goalkeeper and will be hard to replace."

Sky Sports | Football | Premier League | News | Fergie expects end for Edwin

He will be missed. He brings so much calmness to our defense and always an option to pass. His distribution is top class. I think it will be very hard to replace him. WE took around 6 years to find a replacement to Great Dane, hope we find it much earlier than that.

SAF said, We haven't finalised our thoughts on the goalkeeping situation. So De Gea is still a possibility.

Last edited:
Yeah I think most people expect him to retire this season as he postponed it last season. His wife has been ill, and he's reaching 40 so as Fergie said, he'll want to retire at the top and what better way than that than to be the #1 goalkeeper for Manchester United when they break the League Title Record ;)

It's logical to think it will be his last season. Such a good keeper, but 40 years is a lot.
Plus, I also think he'll want to spend more time with his wife, since it happened what happened about her illness.

It'll be hard to replace him, as he's been a legend regarding european goalkeepers.

Let's see who is the chosen one.

not really surprised to be honest, but he will be missed as a goalkeeper

Hope he joins our coaching staff. He has so much experience to pass on to our youngsters. I think he will take a year or 2 break, then will be back to join coaching staff.

great keeper who has proved you can never be too old to be keeper and will be missed.

legend IMO, will never be forgotten, thank you edwin for the champions league 2008

He is a legend. No disrespect to Fulham but he wasted a good few years of his career there. He should have angled for a move before 2004.

Akinfeev or Buffon as replacement. De Gea wouldn't be too shabby but he needs more time to become an excellent goalie. Edwin will be missed.

Sensational goalkeeper but this could be really bad news for Utd, even if they bring in somone like De Gea etc he still has to bed in the PremierLeague, learn a new language etc.

Sensational goalkeeper but this could be really bad news for Utd, even if they bring in somone like De Gea etc he still has to bed in the PremierLeague, learn a new language etc.

They have signed Lindegaard

I reckon if Fergie does bring in another keeper, it will be Stekelenburg. Dutch (like VDS), can speak English well (like VDS), good aerial presence (like VDS) and is very similar to VDS.

Man Utd just need to make sure they have a replacement ready straight away rather than ******* about with dross keepers like they did after Schmeichel left.

Yer i know that but its the same with him, he is unproven and if he is the only keeper signed he will be thrown stright into the first team.

I don't think Keepers have to be sensational to go to "big" clubs, there are few keepers who move from one big club to another, usually they are found as gems in lower leagues and become good. Lindegaard could be something special maybe, and also buying a player like De Gea for 11 million more could so easily backfire as he's young enough to be pressurised too much, has to learn the language and get used to the Premier League.

VDS is a legend, one of the best keepers around and also he really does show that footballer's aren't stupid, he's a very clever and well respected man, I hope his wife has no more problems and they can come back to Manchester with Edwin as a coach.

I'd like to see De Gea at United.

Wishing Edwin luck in all he does at the end of his career.

De Gea's fav player is VDS, isn't it. It will do him world of good if he can work with VDS. But if we sign Neuer, i will treat all my mates. neuer :wub:

Back