• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 20
  • Views Views 2K

BBC Sport

BBC Sport News Headlines
Reaction score
sGG8E.jpg

Paul Scholes reveals that Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson wanted the midfielder to prolong his playing career.

More...

Not shocked by this at all. He was ageing but he can certainly still do a job.

One of the best players to play in the premier league. A true role model on and off the pitch.

A true great, its a shame he never carried on playing. Never really got the recognition he truely deserved.

not suprised really what vision n creativty even zidane said he was the best player of his generation will be missed hugely maybe now he will get recognition he deserves we love you scholesy!

Not a real shock, Whilst Schole struggled again top class teams late year, towards the end, was still good enough to fill in against the mid tabl/ lower Prem sides, but As scholes is, Didnt want to be anything but a big game player, and made a good decision to go out at the top.

Could of definately stayed on atleast another season or two but end of the day its his choice when to retire and has ended his career on a high really.

When does he get a testimonial? Or does he not get one, gingerist much? :S

There is one in August.

Against the New York Cosmos, managed by Eric Cantona.

Zidane has been asked to make an appearance with Iniesta. :)

I plan to attend

August 5th vs New York Cosmos. Eric Cantona will manage them, and Pele will kick off for them.

There is one in August.

Against the New York Cosmos, managed by Eric Cantona.

Zidane has been asked to make an appearance with Iniesta. :)

I plan to attend

August 5th vs New York Cosmos. Eric Cantona will manage them, and Pele will kick off for them.

The testimonial on the 5th August against New York Cosmos. Both Cantona and Pele will be at the match :)

That will be a nice little publicity stunt for them then :P

That will be a nice little publicity stunt for them then :P

Yep, I am more impressed that Scholes lets players on lesser ability them him compete. :P I suppose he needs to fill it ;)

Ferguson probably did ask him, out of respect, but I imagine he was secretly thinking "Ignore me; retire as planned."

Hopefully Modric plays 10 mins as a mark to take over baton from the Ginger prince..

Last edited:
I personly think it was the right time for him to step down. Neville went on for 6months too long and Scholes has timed it just right and Giggs for me proberly has one more year left (especially the ammount of abuse he will recieve from supporters next season).

I personly think it was the right time for him to step down. Neville went on for 6months too long and Scholes has timed it just right and Giggs for me proberly has one more year left (especially the ammount of abuse he will recieve from supporters next season).

Doubt he'll get that much abuse. More or less everyone likes Ryan Giggs, whereas the stick that Terry got was exacerbated because he's a ******** to everyone who isn't a Chelsea fan. ;)

Doubt he'll get that much abuse. More or less everyone likes Ryan Giggs, whereas the stick that Terry got was exacerbated because he's a ******** to everyone who isn't a Chelsea fan. ;)

I wouldnt count on it, Chelsea fans were giving him stick about it before it even got out properly in April.

I wouldnt count on it, Chelsea fans were giving him stick about it before it even got out properly in April.

One game a season and a silent libary, I bet giggs is shaking in fear as he ploughs into another bird. ;)

Back