Ferguson fears resurgent Arsenal

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 16
  • Views Views 826

BBC Sport

BBC Sport News Headlines
Reaction score
Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson says a rejuvenated Arsenal have "rearranged the pecking order" as the Premier League's top two renew old rivalries.

More...

I'd love Arsenal to win the league. I think next season the Prem will be between 3 or 4 teams properly going for the title. More so than this year where its relistically just the two

It's about time for a change.. See ya int' fog, Chelsea!

I think with United still being in the Champions League, and will probably qualify when they see off Marsielle in the last 16, they'll have Tuesday night games, just after the Saturday which will wear them out.

Arsenal being knocked out by Barca I'm sure will be a wounded animal, and will want to push United right until the finish, but tbh, it always happens.. United will win the league..

I hope he's right. For the past few seasons I've been sick of seeing Arsenal do so well right til the very end just to have one bad game, morale goes down, heads go down, we head down the table.

I really don't care for the match on the weekend; in fact I hope we do lose so we're back to playing once-a-week football (after the game in hand). I mean if we win or even draw Saturday, our match vs. Liverpool (I think) might have to be re-arranged which means ANOTHER midweek game, and with our players made of chocolate, it's something we don't need.

Your heads can't go down with Wilshere driving you forward, the kid never stops!

I hope he's right. For the past few seasons I've been sick of seeing Arsenal do so well right til the very end just to have one bad game, morale goes down, heads go down, we head down the table.

I really don't care for the match on the weekend; in fact I hope we do lose so we're back to playing once-a-week football (after the game in hand). I mean if we win or even draw Saturday, our match vs. Liverpool (I think) might have to be re-arranged which means ANOTHER midweek game, and with our players made of chocolate, it's something we don't need.

Although your players will be fitter if you do get knocked out, whoever wins will have a psychological advantage in the title race which could prove to be vital.

Classic mind games.

Sir Alex is simply attempting to shift the focus on to Arsenal to take some pressure off United, which is basically his job.

The fact that he can be ever so suttle about it shows how good he is at this, should be a good game at the weekend, really up for it.

interesting, not once does SAF use the word "fear". Good work BBC...

I don't mind not winning the FA Cup, but I don't want to go out this weekend. You talk of morale dropping and heads going down - imagine what effect being knocked out of two competitions in a week will have?

It'll be really interesting to see the teamsheets this weekend - Utd have Marseille coming up in a game they are by no means guaranteed to win (Which they'll have to do having not scored in France) & Arsenal will be shattered from giving it their all on Tuesday.

Fabregas is definitely out. I expect Chamakh will start, together with Arshavin, and hopefully Song will have recovered.

It will be a very interesting game and SAF is clearly looking to get an early lead in the mind games.

Your heads can't go down with Wilshere driving you forward, the kid never stops!

Let's hope so!

Although your players will be fitter if you do get knocked out, whoever wins will have a psychological advantage in the title race which could prove to be vital.

This. Would have a huge impact on Utd if they lost for the thrid time in a row, though equally of course, both teams could come back better than ever..

Classic mind games.

Sir Alex is simply attempting to shift the focus on to Arsenal to take some pressure off United, which is basically his job.

The fact that he can be ever so suttle about it shows how good he is at this, should be a good game at the weekend, really up for it.

This. I expect a thriller - no pressue Arsenal and Utd..

I believe ManU:s fixture list and away form might drop them to 2nd.

Arsenal can concentrate on the FA cup and league now and United still have the CL.

But let's see...

I believe ManU:s fixture list and away form might drop them to 2nd.

Arsenal can concentrate on the FA cup and league now and United still have the CL.

But let's see...

Tbh Man Utd's fixture list is easier than Arsenal's. Excluding Chelsea at home and Arsenal away, the rest of our fixtures aren't too difficult.

I hope ManU wins this weekend so they'll be in 3 competitions. The squad rotation might cause them to drop some points in the league and maybe Arsenal can win it. I could definitely see Arsenal somehow getting past ManU, making it to the final (causing them to drop vital points in the league along the way and barely miss out on the title to ManU) and then barely losing at the end to whoever their opponent is, probably ManCity. Making it another good, consistent season without a trophy.

Tbh Man Utd's fixture list is easier than Arsenal's. Excluding Chelsea at home and Arsenal away, the rest of our fixtures aren't too difficult.

Well you have Newcastle, West Ham and Blackburn all away from home. You're away form/performances have been poor this season.

Still - if you're only saying big teams: Arsenal have Liverpool & Utd at home - again, neither team has been that good away from home and they're perfectly winnable.

Then we have Spurs away, too. If we keep at least the same distance from the top as we are now up til that point, we can go top if we win that.

Well you have Newcastle, West Ham and Blackburn all away from home. You're away form/performances have been poor this season.

Still - if you're only saying big teams: Arsenal have Liverpool & Utd at home - again, neither team has been that good away from home and they're perfectly winnable.

Then we have Spurs away, too. If we keep at least the same distance from the top as we are now up til that point, we can go top if we win that.

Yeah you do have the bigger teams and home but looking at all the fixtures I would still say we have an easier run plus to go top you'll have to beat Tottenham away by 3+ goals which is unlikely. IMO the games on the 1st and 7th May will decide the title.

Last edited:
Arsenal will focus all their concentration now on the premier league. If ManU continue to struggle against the big teams (Chelsea, Liverpool, ...) they will have a lot of problems to become champion. arsenal deserves to win the title this time. They have a really good and it's unfortunate that they faced barça in the 1/8 finals. But I think Barça is in a top form this season and they are not to blame to lose against such a team

Back