Fifa officials 'offered to sell their votes over 2018 World Cup'

• Thread starter Thread starter Mike.
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 24
  • Views Views 2K

Mike.

Reaction score
Fifa officials 'offered to sell their votes over 2018 World Cup'
Committee member caught on camera allegedly asking for £500,000 in return for supporting England rival

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/oct/17/fifa-officials-votes-2018-world-cup

fifaexecutivecommittee0.jpg

Fifa committee member Amos Adamu. Photograph: Kambou Sia/AFP/Getty Images​

Two Fifa officials have been accused of offering to sell their votes in the contest to host the 2018 football World Cup, it emerged last night.

Amos Adamu, a Fifa executive committee member from Nigeria, was caught on camera asking for £500,000 for a "personal project" in return for supporting one of England's rivals for the 2018 contest, according to an investigation by the Sunday Times. Reynald Temarii, a Fifa vice-president and president of the Oceania Football Confederation, was also said to have been recorded asking for £1.5m for a sports academy in exchange for his support.

The newspaper reportedly has footage showing Adamu pledging his vote after requesting cash from undercover reporters posing as lobbyists. The money would be used to build football pitches in his home country.

In the video, Adamu said he wanted the money paid to him personally, half of it in advance, adding: "Certainly if you are to invest that, that means you also want the vote."

Reporters spoke to six senior Fifa officials, past and present, who offered to work as fixers for the World Cup bid. They all suggested paying huge bribes to Fifa executive committee members, according to the newspaper. Bidding countries, officials and national football associations are strictly forbidden from even the "beginning of a collaboration" to influence voting.

The investigation has also uncovered allegations that supporters of two countries competing to host the World Cup have offered up to £750,000 a vote for other "personal projects".

One former member of the Fifa committee warned that the failure of the England bid to offer such deals could lead to its rejection. "England have got all the good reasons why they should host it but they don't strike the deals," he said.

Fifa has yet to comment.

Argh, corruption ****** me off, big time.

Argh, corruption ****** me off, big time.
Its a ridiculous joke. look at this bit:
One former member of the Fifa committee warned that the failure of the England bid to offer such deals could lead to its rejection. "England have got all the good reasons why they should host it but they don't strike the deals," he said.

basically, becuase we're not willing to be backhanded, we risk not winning the bid :S total ****. I mentioned it before, if we lose the bid, it wont be becuase we werent the best bid

Isn't this what Triesman was on about? This is absolutely disgraceful tbh.

Isn't this what Triesman was on about? This is absolutely disgraceful tbh.
pretty much. he may have named the wrong countries, but he was right about the issues, and lets remember this is the Times, they are very unlikely to run a story like this without having the evidence to back it up

its hard to beleive in this day and age that people can still get away with these things.

I hope England get it though that way i wont have to travel far to see Ireland win it.

They should just discard any countries that have 'bought' votes, and the people that have 'sold' their votes, should never have the chance to vote again, for any future world cups.

pretty much. he may have named the wrong countries, but he was right about the issues, and lets remember this is the Times, they are very unlikely to run a story like this without having the evidence to back it up

Thought so. (+ Guardian..)

Glad they've been found out, or at least some of them have, but it has no place in football, and the sooner we get rid of corruption, the better the game will be.

Fifa has yet to comment.

Why does that not surprise me? No doubt Sepp will eventually come out with his usual crappy immitation of the Churchill dog whilst trying to baffle us with his own unique brand of rambling nonsense. How he remains head of FIFA is beyond me.

Why does that not surprise me? No doubt Sepp will eventually come out with his usual crappy immitation of the Churchill dog whilst trying to baffle us with his own unique brand of rambling nonsense. How he remains head of FIFA is beyond me.
this. he cant comment because officials have seemingly been caught bang to rights.

Two days ago he was absolutely waxing lyrical about englands bid's, making big comparison between our policing and the italy scenes, and our fantastic stadia and infrastructure. There is no doubt that england offer the best bid on pure merit, and its no real secret that only way we could lose it would be on "politics". Now it seems we know what those "politics" really are.

At least the english press have finally done something that favours our national team rather than hindering them

I applaud England for releasing the news, rather than paying up & sweeping it under the carpet!

Would like to see them host it now!

updated news from the Guardian:

Fifa confirmed last night it will investigate allegations that two members of its committee have offered to sell their votes in the bid to stage the 2018 World Cup.

The race to host the tournament became clouded in controversy after the Sunday Times reported that Amos Adamu, a Fifa executive committee member from Nigeria, was filmed negotiating a deal with an undercover reporter where he would be paid £500,000 for his vote. Adamu requested the money, which would be used to build four artificial football pitches in Nigeria, would be paid to him personally.

The deal was allegedly finalised last month in Cairo when Adamu confirmed he would vote for the USA to host the 2018 World Cup. The USA has since withdrawn from the race and will focus on the bid for 2022.

It was also claimed that the president of the Oceania Football Confederation, Reynald Temarii, asked for £1.5m to fund a sports academy in exchange for his vote. In his meeting with an undercover reporter in Auckland, Temarii alleged that Oceania had been offered sums between £6m and £7.5m for their vote by supporters of two rival bid committees.

A statement from Fifa last night said: "Fifa and the Fifa ethics committee have closely monitored the bidding process for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups and will continue to do so.

"Fifa has already requested to receive all of the information and documents related to this matter, and is awaiting to receive this material.

"In any case, Fifa will immediately analyse the material available and only once this analysis has concluded will Fifa be able to decide on any potential next steps.

"In the meantime, Fifa is not in a position to provide any further comments on this matter."

England are competing to host the 2018 World Cup with Russia, and joint bids from Spain and Portugal, and Holland and Belgium.

The Sunday Times quoted a former member of the Fifa committee downplaying England's chances of succeeding because they refused to offer such deals. "England have got all the good reasons why they should host it but they don't strike the deals ... It's sad but true."

Idiots...

...I would have held out for a million.

Wouldnt suprise me if this sort of thing has been going on since early 80s/90s and not just with the World Cup either. I have to admit and i knows its wrong but if someone offered you £500,000 just for you to vote for them wouldnt you do it? I know i would.

I'm not suprised this has been going on at all. Fifa need to clean house and get rid of the corruption associated with its officials once and for all. I'm glad a top broadsheet paper has reported this and not the usual **** that comes from the tabloids.

No doubt Fifa will come back with "The report is not true, normal process will resume"
Would love the WC to be in England.

Back