Financial crisis hits football fans

Jack Fulham

Reaction score
Percentage of Premier League club supporters considering cancelling their season tickets next season

Manchester United 59%
Wolves 54%
Burnley 31%
Fulham 29%
Everton 28%
Blackburn 28%
Portsmouth 28%
West Ham 27%
Aston Villa 24%
Sunderland 23%
Wigan 21%
Tottenham 19%
Manchester City 18%
Birmingham 17%
Chelsea 17%
Hull 17%
Arsenal 14%
Bolton 13%
Liverpool 9%
Stoke City 9%

Key word being considering, rising prices however are causing a lot of problems for football fans.

Last edited:
This will inevitabely end up in an argument, with only 9% of Liverpool supporters considering cancelling their season tickets and 59% of Man United fans considering it.

Well I currently have a season ticket at Bristol City, had one at Plymouth the two seasons before this one, Might get a Bristol Rovers one next season. I don't partually support the teams, but like going to football every other weekend.

This will inevitabely end up in an argument, with only 9% of Liverpool supporters considering cancelling their season tickets and 59% of Man United fans considering it.

Ha' it's mainly due to the fact that United season tickets include all cup and European matches which is quite frankly disgraceful, those things should be optional.

A financial crisis hit the fans ages ago. Boro's attendance has dropped from 28k to 14k and although many of that you can probably put down to poor football and relegation, financial crisis will probs contribute a fair chunk of that 14k+ drop.

Where did these figures come from? some seem ridiculously high. Also do you have figures for those people considering getting a season ticket next year? Fans of the likes of Birmingham, Stoke and other teams performing well (all things considered) may have people deciding to get a season ticket.

However, I think this thread could rumble on to a debate about ticket prices which again, would have an effect.

Last edited:
Figures all wrong. More like:

Liverpool 100% ;)

No surprise Portsmouth have a high percentage, we all know what's coming next season.

Football has changed from a workmans game to a coporate thing, just a business now, nothing is about football and its ******* ridiculously priced too

Big difference is also the availability of season tickets.

The Glazers have gradually ramped the prices up of Manchester United's season tickets so they're pretty much at the extreme end of what their fanbase can afford to pay, plus there's a lot more available every year (50000 STs at Castle Greyskull). They've already had about 25000 STs returned under the Glazers, and they still get sold at their inflated prices.

Liverpool's season tickets have stayed fairly cheap in comparison and our waiting list still would take decades to clear at Anfield (think club confirmed fewer than a couple of dozen season tickets are given up every season) and there are relatively fewer available in total any ways (total of about 23000 STs at Anfield). If 2000 odd Liverpool season tickets came up for grabs, they'd vanish within a day.

Different circumstances really - the Glazers are aware that they will get sufficient daytrippers to Old Trafford to fill it up even at inflated prices (plus the daytrippers will spend in the club shop). Hicks and Gillet are fully aware that a similar business model just wouldn't work with Liverpool.

I gave up my season ticket for this season, well i didnt renew it for this year, was spending so much

Im suprised Wigan aren't near the top.
Whenever i see them play, half of their ground is empty.

think you should include more than prem teams leeds have offered exsisting season ticket holders a renewal price of £450 and the dnt even no what league they will be playing in yet they say for a new season ticket holder could be closer to £600 for league 1 football thats pathetic.....

Im suprised Wigan aren't near the top.
Whenever i see them play, half of their ground is empty.

They generally have a poor support, they are slap bang in the middle of Manchester and Liverpool pretty much and there are many other clubs around them, Wigan is primarily a rugby town as well.

I think Part of uniteds is that the Green And gold campaign. if the galzers where brought out tommorrow. All the fans would probaly renew.

Back