Financial issues from a lower league manager

• Thread starter Thread starter cdefghij
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 12
  • Views Views 6K

cdefghij

Reaction score
I'm currently managing a lower league team with a financial status of "insecure".
So I decided to set my priority to improve the financial status of the club and do not have to win every game.
I have cut the salary for the players, down to ~600/week, from the total budget of 1,800/week given by the board, in the hope of getting a good balance.
However, it doesn't help. I still got a balance of about (10k)/week, and the club will get back to insecure very soon.
So I checked the itemized expenses and tried to find out what happened.
I did find something that seems weird to me.

First, the largest part of my expenses is "other expenses". It really cost me a lot. I'm wondering what costs are included in this part, and how can I lower it?
I have one assistant coach who is paid 50/week, and one scout who is paid 9/week. Rest of the staff are not paid at all (including myself). But the salary that I'm spending every month is 836, which is 209/week and 150/week more than what I should have paid. Is there a way that can I get these back?
Finally, I added up every itemized expenses and compared it with the total amount that I spent, and they did not match. For example, the sum of all itemized expenses last month in my club is less than 9k, but the number showed up in the last row is more than 12.5k. So I'm losing ~3.5k/month for no reason. If anyone has this same experience before, and how can I lower this part of expense?

These several thousands pounds may be trivial to premiere league teams, but they do mean a lot to me, a lower league manager. This is my first post here, so sorry if this is not the right place to post it. And I apologize for my English.

Thanks in advance.

From my experience, the "other expenses" are the board taking money out of the organization. In other words, you can't touch it. What I have found to be the case is this, the board gave you salary guidance knowing full well you would go into the red so, go into the red. Just don't go above their salary guidance. What happens next year is that they will keep cutting your salary cap and you will do a death spiral. Since the game gives you no options to raise money, I believe that this is a technical mistake in the game. Just my opinions though, others may have had different experiences.

Which team are you? The best way to stabilize your finances is to win matches and get promoted to the top tier as fast as possible. A good run in a cup competition can garner some income too.

i'm seeing something similar... even winning my fa trophy matches (i only got through 1 round of the fa cup - unlucky draw...) Team: Fleetwood Town Cod Army - currently 1st in the BSP playing an attacking 4 3 1 2 at the start of february 2012 (a bit past halfway) and we're swimming in red Now - if I were to *totally eliminate* player salaries and bonuses altogether - my costs would be 92k per month (needless to say they're higher) Currently - my revenues are 74k per month - which includes 5k in prize money from the FAT first round win. So - how to make up the difference... gate receipts aren't going up (i'm a winning team playing attractive football - i dont see anyway to con more locals into shelling out 10 quid for a seat). I have fairly minimal underage facilities - and ownership wants no part in any improvement on that front. This year i spawned 1 player worth 20k - the others are all 1.5k and fairly worthless - but even the 20k player has no interest from any other clubs - and there's only so much one can expect with regards to winning silverware. I can win promotion - i hope - but i cant imagine that the only path to profitability in the lower leagues is not being in the lower leagues. i suppose the question is - is the game intended to be balanced down here? I mean - from a 'reality check' standpoint - all these teams in real life cant be losing money faster than a hedgefund trader in love with groupon - right? If i cant start with no players and turn a profit as if i had salaries - then starting over and releasing/selling everyone is pointless. Is the youth system the only path? If so i need to find a lower division squad somewhere near the homes of the wives/girlfriends of john terry's teammates - and hold on for 16 years...

To improve finances at smaller clubs try playing friendlies against bigger teams.:)

From my experience, the "other expenses" are the board taking money out of the organization. In other words, you can't touch it. What I have found to be the case is this, the board gave you salary guidance knowing full well you would go into the red so, go into the red. Just don't go above their salary guidance. What happens next year is that they will keep cutting your salary cap and you will do a death spiral. Since the game gives you no options to raise money, I believe that this is a technical mistake in the game. Just my opinions though, others may have had different experiences.

I've found that the "other expenses" are probably travelling cost, since I spent a lot after an away game and nothing after a home game. Anyway, I agree with you that there's probably nothing to do with it. So what I'm thinking is that if the team is not able to cover this cost, it probably means (a) you need to shrink the squad or (b) this league level is too high for your team. Even if you can win every game in this league, you're not financially compatible in this league. I haven't test this idea because I haven't got a chance to delegate. But I'm trying to keep my squad less competitive and not to promote too fast by selling out my top 3 stars in the team, after I finished 2nd halfway down the season. Now I'm using 300 p/week for player's salary, and will try to limit big signing and using more youngsters from the reserves. (which I think would be more realistic, and of course better for the finance)

Also, I'm fine with the red numbers (I'm still losing money even with 300 p/week), but the red number won't get the board happy and there will be no chance for me to improve the club facilities. If the facilities is not improving, I don't consider the club is improving, no matter how many promotions they've got. So the red number can get my position safe, but I don't see the future of the club with these red numbers.

What do you think?

Which team are you? The best way to stabilize your finances is to win matches and get promoted to the top tier as fast as possible. A good run in a cup competition can garner some income too.

Sorry I'm using a team out of Europe, so I guess my team is less familiar.
I think getting promoted is much easier than keep the club finance healthy. With getting promoted, you will need better squad and of course larger salary budget, which I think is unrealistic with a small stadium and low reputation. I am trying to collect money from the cup matches and friendly games as much as possible, but if that's still not enough to cover the expenses, is there anything else can I do?

i'm seeing something similar... even winning my fa trophy matches (i only got through 1 round of the fa cup - unlucky draw...) Team: Fleetwood Town Cod Army - currently 1st in the BSP playing an attacking 4 3 1 2 at the start of february 2012 (a bit past halfway) and we're swimming in red Now - if I were to *totally eliminate* player salaries and bonuses altogether - my costs would be 92k per month (needless to say they're higher) Currently - my revenues are 74k per month - which includes 5k in prize money from the FAT first round win. So - how to make up the difference... gate receipts aren't going up (i'm a winning team playing attractive football - i dont see anyway to con more locals into shelling out 10 quid for a seat). I have fairly minimal underage facilities - and ownership wants no part in any improvement on that front. This year i spawned 1 player worth 20k - the others are all 1.5k and fairly worthless - but even the 20k player has no interest from any other clubs - and there's only so much one can expect with regards to winning silverware. I can win promotion - i hope - but i cant imagine that the only path to profitability in the lower leagues is not being in the lower leagues. i suppose the question is - is the game intended to be balanced down here? I mean - from a 'reality check' standpoint - all these teams in real life cant be losing money faster than a hedgefund trader in love with groupon - right? If i cant start with no players and turn a profit as if i had salaries - then starting over and releasing/selling everyone is pointless. Is the youth system the only path? If so i need to find a lower division squad somewhere near the homes of the wives/girlfriends of john terry's teammates - and hold on for 16 years...

I think we are one the same track, though your team is paying and earning money 10 fold of what I am. There are various ways of managing lower league teams, with all of them aiming to bring a weak team stronger. I've heard someone saying that your team is not a real strong team unless it will stay strong after the genius manager (the player) retires. And I totally agree with that. So I'm trying to find out the way to do this, and I believe it's same for you. Unfortunately in a game as real as FM, there's no quick way doing this, as in real life. I guess all we need to do is to be more patient, hopefully our clubs will thrive someday.

To improve finances at smaller clubs try playing friendlies against bigger teams.:)

I heard someone sent team to Marianas or Guam for friendlies and getting a huge revenue. But seems like my board will not approve any friendlies that far. I play friendly games with the biggest local team that I can get a yes from the board, and get ~2k/game. Is it because my team is financially tight, or the reputation is low, that I cannot play friendlies abroad?

I heard someone sent team to Marianas or Guam for friendlies and getting a huge revenue. But seems like my board will not approve any friendlies that far. I play friendly games with the biggest local team that I can get a yes from the board, and get ~2k/game. Is it because my team is financially tight, or the reputation is low, that I cannot play friendlies abroad?

I think that you should be able to go onto tours and cups etc in pre-season. In pre-season I was aloud to play Birmingham and Derby generating around 30k but cost me 7k. I'm Havant and Waterlooville atm and they were one of the least popular teams in England. Don't try Real Madrid and Barcelona they reject as they don't see it benefitting them (they're just scared).

A non league team organising a friendly cup competition or mini league with premiership teams at the beginning of the season.. Do this at ythe start of the season as soon as friendlies are announced. Remember they play each other on your ground so you sell out and get revenue for every game. If you do 2 cups with big teams you can clear 200k in a stdium of 6000. If your capacity is higher you make a lot more. The "mid tier" premiership clubs like aston villa, fulham and everton are the best in my experience.

Gamey? Maybe, but its the only way to stay afloat!

yeah - started over with AFC Telford - and scheduled so many friendlies that the pitch looks like a dirt lot. Still semi-pro though - i wonder how much cash management feels they need in pocket before they'll actually let me sign players... I'd rather the system was a bit more strict with some of the realism - but then again, if leicester will shell out 1m for jamie vardy then maybe i should just shut up with my realism worries...

In my save, for the first few years as Crewe Alexandra I can do little more than balance the books. Rely on loan signings and a couple of free transfers. My squad is never more than 20 players. I was unlucky in the playoffs two times, and I have little success in cup competition. Only after two full seasons are my finances truly profitable. Most lower clubs have debts and unhealthy expenditures.

Back