Flaws of Match Engine - Have you seen similar? Obscure

• Thread starter Thread starter gji1992
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 8
  • Views Views 2K

gji1992

Reaction score
Okay, so I've just finished my first season in charge of Tottenham, finishing 2nd in the process and winning the Europa League... Disappointingly easy if I'm honest... Man City dwelled in mid table for the whole season and Everton got relegated, which I found thoroughly unrealistic.

However, there are two lesser discussed flaws of the ME that have really irked me, albeit they are seemingly both beneficial to myself. Ignoring the over-powered crossing/set-pieces and ridiculous amount of injuries, I've noted two other flaws... I was wondering if anyone else has experienced them?

1) When I shoot from afar, the opposing keeper parries it and my player just saunters up to the re-bound, totally untracked and just slots in the re-bound. I've scored 20+ goals from this... As nice as it is to get such a cheap goal, it ruins the challenge of the game if I'm consistently gifted such goals.

2) In my whole season, 50-60 games played in all competitions, I have NEVER conceded a goal that wasn't a direct result of a cross or a set-piece. This has to be my main gripe with the match engine so far, I can almost guarantee 75% of the time a cross or set-piece is chucked into my area by the opposition, it results in a goal.
However, any balls in behind my defence, any other type of plays... Have NEVER resulted in a goal against me. This is thoroughly ruining my experience of the game as it makes the matches turgid, I find them taking very similar patterns. It may sound great to others to never concede from any other means, as I do admit it keeps me goals conceded vastly down... It just destroys the realism of the game.

I can't even re-call (I have my highlights on key only) a shot/chance from the opposition that hasn't been a result of a set-piece or cross.

Am I alone with suffering from the two aforementioned problems?

I honestly haven't encountered either.

I don't conceed many set pieces and most of my goals come from thru-balls into a striker stooting just outside the area.

You're not alone, I'm similarly frustrated as well. The tackling in the game seems to powerful, anyone and everyone is tackling perfectly. My wingers get dispossessed rather easily, even Juan Mata is diving into tackles. I'm succeeding in general play but ME is frustrating, I'm contemplating switching to 2D.

I also concede a lot from cross and near post run.

I recently switched to comprehensive highlight mode and realized it's not that bad, though if it could be averaged out with other goals it'd be lot less frustrating. Pressing is also working in a weird way, when opposition is near my 18 yard box, whole team forms a back line instead of pressing midfield, giving all the time to shoot from range.

Btw, a question, did your board confidence show that fans are unhappy with "less than exciting" football? My team is averaging pretty high goals per game, board is happy with attacking football, and there are a lot of normal play goals as well and plenty of them are amazing, yet fans are unhappy unless I play possession football with high CCCs even if I score less.

Edit: I forgot to add, after being frustrated from opposition corner, I put signed a tall DM and put him on zonal marking of 6 yard box, he wins many aerials, passes it to my playmaker standing just outside 18 yard box who then passes long to my fast winger upfront with only 2 defenders to beat, a lot of 1v1s. Suck it ME!

Last edited:
most of my goals come from thru-balls into a striker stooting just outside the area.

View attachment 327765 View attachment 327764

I've played over 4 seasons with 2 different teams, played many different styles, even them most of my assists comes from wide areas, from outside or inside the box. And how can CAM assist when middle of the field is totally stacked? The only way my CAM got assists as when opposition were attacking and he'd lump the ball up for wingers/strikers to get on it.

I honestly haven't encountered either.

I don't conceed many set pieces and most of my goals come from thru-balls into a striker stooting just outside the area.
Thanks for the reply but I meant their goals not mine.

My goals too, come from a variety of ways, what is irking me is the fact that I've only ever conceded a goal from set-piece or a cross, never from any other means... This is throughout a whole season

i agree... i stopped playing until the next update. I really like this fm but its pretty much a guarrantee for corners to go in...

It's not a guarantee if you set up your defenders properly.

Can't agree on this one. Getting goals from set pieces or corners its completely solved by changing to zonal instead of man marking. Check the forum for more details.

Also, changing the role of the wingers and FBs to support instead of attack, helps tracking opponents to not cross.

Ofc, players like Hazard are very hard to keep away, but you cannot be perfect.

If you are scoring loads with rebounds, include "get ball into box" on team instructions, and shoot less in all players. This can also solve your problem on scoring too much.

I wish my game was so frustratingly easy. Perhaps your tactic and the ME just don't match up to create a realistic scenario. My game consists of countless 0-0s and 1-0s whilst others complain of terribly high scoring games. My team goes through ridiculous phases. 10 games no win, 21 games unbeaten, 9 games without a win, sacked. When on a good run, it seems like you'll never lose, but as soon as I lose I know it's the start of another run. I don't really like this year's FM. Some aspects of it are great but some are completely all over the place.

Back