Fleetwood Town - The Cod Army

• Thread starter Thread starter gazEdanger
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 3
  • Views Views 4K

gazEdanger

Reaction score
I have just taken over Fleetwood Town. Known affectionately as The Fishermen. I did a little bit of research on them and they have a nice little ground called Highbury which has just undertaken massive refurbishment and they are also referred to as 'The Cod Army', which to me is the greatest nickname for a club i've ever heard.

They are a team in the Blue Square North and they get about 900 there each week so hopefully it should be a good basis to start from. Hopefully Mr. Chairman will sort me out with some free fan days or something. If he is feeling generous he might do what the Burnley chairman did and say whoever gets a season ticket this year gets one next year for free if we are in League 2! However, I somehow don't think Fleetwood are in the position to give away free tickets.

Anyway... let the game begin!

Fleetwood - The Story of the Cod Army

Well i'm just up to the start of the season so here is an update on what happened in the first couple of weeks in charge.

Well the team was pretty poor to start with. There were some pretty decent experienced midfielders in the mix but nothing shone out too much other than Chris Holland previously of Huddesfield, Birmingham and Newcastle and John Hills, ex Everton, Sheff Wed and local team Blackpool. Hills is pure quality and he could probably still kick it at League 1. Hills is only 30 too so i'm sure he will be ever present in my potential rise through the leagues.

There is a decent RB called Walmsley who is decent at corners and freekicks. I might have to play him purely on the basis that i'm hoping to score a lot from set plays. With the poor technical skills the teams in the league possess I need to get scoring from corners so i'm sure he will be priceless in my first season.

Basically if i'm to do anything i'm going to have to think big and bring in pretty much a whole new squad. I don't really like doing this but at the end of the day my team wasn't going to do much with the current set of players.

After scouring the thousands of free transfers I picked out 20 players and played the percentages thinking most will reject as we are relatively unknown. I offered a couple of fairly big contracts to a few key players that I thought would be integral and out of the 20 I went in for I got 14 which is pretty impressive.

A few highlights were Max Cream... maybe just for his name but he still looks a decent midfielder for BSN.

Guy Melamed - Former Israel U21 player and decent either at CB or MC/DMC. Good stats and pretty luck to beat Torquay to him.

James Pangagi - Strong CB who bags a good couple of goals a season. I had im in my Wimbledon days and he was a rock.

Giannis Kyriakou - Looks far too good for this league but he chose me over York and i'm sure he will be ever present with his amazing technical skills.

Anton Greyling - Another former U21 international but this time for South Afria. He is DR and will be intergral I would have thought. He seems to be 10x better than anyone i've got stats wise.

I was looking at free transfers by nationality and seemed to find some American gems. Cream, Sagare, Wexler and Smith all yanks and now starting some sort of American revolution in the North West of England.
A couple of players went out but not as many as I would have liked. A lot of my team had just joined and didn't want to leave so I will have to wait until January till they go. Unfortunately this makes me bordering on exceeding my wage budget and that is always asking for trouble. Hopefully my gamble of bringing in quality can prove fruitful and get me a sexy cup run and fill the coffers with green. Fingers crossed anyway!

Managed to do a deal and get Blackburn as my parent club so i'm sure Big Sam will throw some youngsters my way to hone their skills.

The Backroom:

I started the game with no staff so I was quick to bring in John Lukic.. yep.. THE John Lukic as a coach. Steve Constantine as my Assistant, Chris Vinicombe as a coach and Peter Malone my 3rd and final coach.

I forgot to get a physio to start with and a couple of players got injured and I wondered why they weren't healing or had a time scale of when they were back.

Luckily, Steve Constantine was on the ball and told me we needed someone to fix those knocks and niggles so in comes Roger ***** as my sole physio.
To finish of the backroom staff I brought in old Bobby Saxton and John Williams as my scouts.

Pre-season went as well as I had expected. I had a good few friendlies lined up against good teams and all at home so that helped quite a lot. A highlight was losing 1-2 to Leicester to a sold out Highbury Stadium with us putting up a good fight.
We also played Hamilton Accies, Brentford, Newcastle Reserves, Queen of The South and drew 1-1 each time. Our only other defeat was at the hands of Blackpool infront of 2,000 0-1.

On pre-season form i'm hoping we can hold our own at this level but who knows. Lower league can be tricky business but I am quietely confident of a playoff position come the end of the season.

Club captain is Guy Melamed and Greyling as Vice. Both as I said will be rocks at the back and get me mounting a serious promotion bid.

Well the first game is upon is and it's is away at probably the best team in the league, Southport.

I will let you know how it goes tomorrow!

View attachment 5652

View attachment 5653

Last edited:
I was given odds of 7-4 to get promotion so I wasn't far off the initial favourites which gave me a boost.

Going into my first game I had a full bill of health ready for my short trip to Southport and Haig Avenue.

Southport vs Fleetwood

The game started well with me dominating the first 10 minutes or so and then Southport looked like they were slowly getting a foothold in the game. After 20 odd minutes in I was still having a decent amount of possession and from a corner their keeper Drench fumbled it into his own net. Half time came with me on top and that continued into the second half. I managed to dominate for the rest of the game and score 2 more goals from Max Cream and Chris Joyce respectively. 80 odd minutes in one of their midfielders got sent off as I continued to dominate and by the end of the game I had restricted them to just 3 shots. All in all a pretty good game and I was suprised at how much I domintated.

Cream of the crop was non other than, yep, you guessed it Max Cream with a man of the match performance.

2 games in a week next with Redditch and home and Droylsden away.

Sorry if these reports get a bit wordy. I get carried away whilst typing and I sometimes don't know when to stop. 8-|

nice one, but keep an eye on your finances because i see you haven't sold many players to keep the wage bill down

Back