Equilibrio

Reaction score
So I am currently doing really well with man Utd on my demo game(unbeaten in 19 games)but I have now drawn 3 games to teams playing the 4-1-4-1(or in PSV's case 4-1-2-3)sitting back and not allowing me to score.I don't believe there is anything wrong with the tactic seeing as I have had some great wins(6-0 vs Liverpool, 3-2 vs Chelsea in Capital one, 3-2 vs Leicester after going 2-0 down 5-1 vs Man City and 5-1 vs Everton also 3-1 vs Arsenal) Rooney has scored 25 goals this season(I am in December- beginning)I will post photos of my tactic later, but are there any specific pointers for playing vs teams parking the bus?Also, my team usually scores from crosses, is that a problem?

It is your tactic. Without seeing it, not much more can be said, really. You get great wins against teams that give you space to attack into, but you seem to struggle against teams that don't.

In general, you'd need to provide good movement. This is either by providing intelligent runs or creating space by pulling defenders with players dropping deep or pulling wide and then exploiting those gaps. It's possible that you're also getting the ball forward too fast or too slow.

pass into space and play wider. opens gaps to exploit. also play at a higher tempo

Great advice from above posters. Two ways to create gaps - move the ball wide and force defenders to chase your wide players. Use up down movement as well to force defenders to chase out of their usual position.

For example an AF/DLF combo for a striker pair force the defense into vertical movement to chase.

Wingers playing wide and crossing after beating their man can cause serious issues for defenders.

A combo that works is two Inside Forwards on the wings cutting in plus a False 9 or DLF striker who drops back and forces defenders to chase, meanwhile the inside forwards kick into one of those vacated spaces.