Playing against teams that 'park the bus'

Coupdhaha

Reaction score
After winning my first season with Manchester United with 100+ goals scored, I've found in my season season a lot of teams operate very defensively against me.

I play a 4-1-3-2 (1 CM, 3 AM), so yes, it's attacking football and it was very exciting to watch in my first season. However, now it's extremely frustrating to see your side trying to score goals when the opposition literally have 10 players in the penalty area and they just try to park the bus and hit on the counter.

In order to play against teams with ultra-defensive tactics (e.g. 2 DM or 5 midfielder) I order my team to play higher tempo (normal tempo) football (slider set right in the middle). This is in an attempt to have my team already firing at the goals before the opposition is able to flood that penalty box.

Also, when at home, I play with max width. This is done in attempt to stretch out the opposition and allow more space for my players to operate in.

I've also found that recently that the team-shout "run at the defence" has been effective. This allows my silky and talented AM and forwards (such as Gotze and Willian) to dribble past that last line of defence and cause havoc amongst the defence.

What are your ways to play against teams that park the bus?

great thread mate,will try this on my save,having similar problems!

wouldn't this thread be better positioned at the tactical discussion section?

Was planning to put in tactics sections but that section seemed more dedicated to full blown team formations.

I have Hazard as my AML set as an inside forward attack and he works wonders as well. Having inside forwards rather than the classic wingers which play the short pass instead of the cross may also work against defensive teams. However obviously you gotta make sure they're technically skilled and have a bit of pace.

I've had a similar sort of thing in previous FM's when I've been a highly creative team, with lots of possession. Luckily at the time I had an insane Complete Forward that would destroy teams.

Could you not try playing them at their own game?

Try to find ways to bring them out of the box. Bring them onto you. either by playing deep in midfield, with deep play makers or play very defensive and try countering .

Interesting. Playing defensively and countering is definitely a possibility but a route I rather not take.

I like your suggestion about playing deep in midfield. Maybe I'll try experimenting with a 4-2-2-2 (2 CM, 2 AM wingers) and try to draw the opposition to my 2 CM before striking quickly via my wingers.

The thing I like doing is switching my wingers (if I have any) into wide forwards, from the AML/R to the FL/R slots. This ensures they play high up against the opposition full-backs, pressuring them and exploiting any gaps they leave ruthlessly. I also find tall forwards are a help in this situation.

If i find someone parking the bus i personally try to play a possession game and draw them out rather than force through. If you have the ball floating between your defence and midfield, their attacking players will tire early from chasing you reducing their counter threat. If they sub their attacking players, then you switch to more aggressive play and overwhelm what should be their tiring defence. It may not get you 100 goals a season, but you won't concede many either and ultimately you will still win games.

If the AI gets wise and stops parking the bus it's easy, just go back to your original tactic.

I've had a similar sort of thing in previous FM's when I've been a highly creative team, with lots of possession. Luckily at the time I had an insane Complete Forward that would destroy teams.

Could you not try playing them at their own game?

Try to find ways to bring them out of the box. Bring them onto you. either by playing deep in midfield, with deep play makers or play very defensive and try countering .

Like he said let the other team have the ball and let them get up in the field and then f*ck them up with an fast and objective counter-attack, it works for me at leverkusen since I have Sidney Sam Schrrule(sp) an Kiessiling(sp)

How would I play this counter-attacking game? Should I just tick counter-attacking box?

You can try playing deeper and close down less but hard tackling. This will lure them out from their area and when they're out your player will tackle them and launch attack asap!

I had a problem with a team who didn't quite park the bus but were playing for a draw when they were the home team. I played the match and it ended 0-0 with them having 70% possession and 0 shots, me about 7 shots but no good chances. I was so confused as to what happened I reloaded and watched the game in full. They sat very deep and played passes between their defenders and goal keepers for 100% of the time until their randomly cleared the ball. My players defensive line and closing down wasn't high enough for my players to even try and win the ball because they were passing it inside their own box. I changed my tactics 5 minutes in to push all of my players up one line in the formation (DC -> DM, FB -> WB, MC ->AMC)> We hassled their technically poor defenders off the ball instantly and won the ball back.

There was still the problem of them having 10 men behind the ball, but at least I had the ball.

To elaborate on my suggestion a little more... you could try playing a 4-1-2-2-1 (4-3-3) with inside forwards.
I'd give one of the centre backs the role of a ball playing defender, this allows to counter from defence. This should work as you don't seem to be having problems in defence, so you can afford the risk.
The defensive mid, just give him a simple defensive mid role, this should invite attacks.
then the two central mids in front of him is up to you what roles you give them. I'd suggest a deep lying playmaker (support) or a Box-to-Box and an Advanced play maker (attack). If you choose to do this then I'd also suggest that the Advanced playmaker has a high creativity. in order to pick up those sweet through balls to the front 3.

Most of the time you'll find your out numbering them in their half.