FM Experiment - Which Decade Produced the Best EPL Players?

ShalomBrotha

Reaction score
Introduction

Okay. So I may have become a little too bored but I decided to put together a fun FM experiment based around deciding which decade produced the best premier league players.

I put together three 23 man squads, one for each EPL decade (90’s, 00’s, 10’s). The manager of each team was the best manager of the decade.

The main rule I kept to was that no player or manager could be replicated across decades. So Ferguson only appears once, and player like Keane/Vieria/Gerrard/Lampard were all only eligible for one team despite their primes potentially spanning two decades.

The idea here is to simulate a decade of football and see which of these teams come out on top. To help with tracking the performances of players I created some new awards in the EPL.

90's

Team: Manchester United (Class of 99)

Manager: Alex Ferguson

1990s - Start.PNG

00’s

Team
: Arsenal (The Invincibles)

Manager: Arsene Wenger

2000s - Start.PNG

10’s

Team: Manchester City (The Centurions)

Manager: Pep Guardiola

2010's - Start.PNG

Disclaimer: These attributes aren’t going to be perfect representations of the players, particularly the older we go as I never had the chance to watch those players week-in week-out. I have done my best using a combination of footage on youtube (watched the highlights for every single Invincibles games for example), classicpesstatsdatabase.com, and some more general research on play styles and strengths/weaknesses.

Results

[Premier League Titles]

Team1st2nd3rd
1990's262
2000's531
2010's316

[Champions League Titles]

TeamChampionRunner Up
1990's22
2000's51
2010's01

[FA Cup Titles]

TeamChampionRunner Ups
1990's32
2000's42
2010's24

[Carabao Cup Titles]

TeamChampionRunner Up
1990's35
2000's40
2010's30

Hot Takes

So, according to this highly scientific experiment there are some clear indisputable facts. Thierry Henry is the best EPL player of all time. He won the EPL player of the year 6 times *in a row*, along with 4 Ballon D'ors.

Ben Chilwell is... somehow, the best left back in the world over the course of the decade 2019-2029.

And most importantly, the 2000's have produced the best batch of footballers in the premier league thus far. They honestly just swept shop and won the most titles in every cup. Though weirdly enough they're the only decade team to finish outside of the top 3 in the EPL over the course of the decade.

I have more screenshots of various pieces of information if anyone would like to see it. So things like match details/stats from specific finals, or tallies/reviews for specific players over the course of the decade.

Star Players
Thierry Henry - Best EPL Player of All Time

Thierry Henry.PNG

Thierry Henry - Overall.PNG

Kevin De Bruyne - Best EPL Playmaker of All Time

Kevin De Bruyne.PNG

Kevin De Bruyne - Overall.PNG

Alan Shearer - All Time EPL Top Scorer

Alan Shearer.PNG

Alan Shearer - Overall.PNG