Reaction score
header.jpg

[FONT=&quot]Background :
Having played the Football Manager series since the humble days of Championship Manager 93, I very quickly moved away from the big money big name clubs. In previous incarnations of FM I have managed ( or created ) such giants as Aldershot, Southport, Cambridge Utd , Salisbury and Blyth Spartans. Having become somewhat disenfranchised with Blyth following my FM10 Premiership save I thought it was time to move on. When selecting a club I normally go on one of two things.
1) Does the kit / club badge look good ?
2) Is the club local to where Im living.
I try to ignore things like the club potential for expantion of stadium , facilities or fan base. I never use scouting or 3rd party programs, the only thing I do is start life as a retired International football, I can at least dream right ?

This time around I choose Guiseley based on the simple white kit and the badge which I found somewhat attractive.
The club nickname of the Lions reminded me to much of Millwall and the affiliation and proximity to Leeds also disapointed me ( Im a IRL Norwich City season ticket holder.... someone has to be I guess !! ) however I did not let this get in my way !

[/FONT]

---------- Post added at 11:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:26 PM ----------

teamsheet.png

This is my current squad. I have captured all of these on free transfers. Having sold / released / free transfered my entire squad. I do this because often the players already in the squad wages do not reflect thier skill. Most of the time I can get 2 better players in for the same wages as an existing no hoper.

Currently the American MLS season has just ended and I am furiously trying to get a few people who lost out in the draft over to England. You might well think this is daft due to the Work Permit problems but sometimes you find a gem.
Cue : Alex Zotinca, 33 year old Right and Left back who holds American and Romanian nationality !

I am currently trying to gain a pacey striker because other than Younghusband my stikers are a bit low on goals.
Edozian suffers from low workrate and I have recently promoted him to player / coach.
Mania has become my second striker, hes getting the goals but is let down by his strength of 4.

Also having problems with my midfield not performing very well.
Ashmore is a bit of a let down and O'Brian is quite lazy, although I dropped him for 2 weeks only to have him score a hattrick on his return so I cant really complain.

Stars :
Phil Younghusband : Goal machine as you can see from his stats.
Jean-Paul Kissock : Already a fan favourite the Trequartista
is frequently a part of every attacking move.
Danny Murphy: Really what is he doing at Guiseley ?! On his stats I would scout him for League 1 ! Bit dirty though.
Alexis Nikolas : New signing to back up the lazy midfield. Seems to have an eye for through balls.
Ibrahim Sissoko : Really found some good form of late, hitting some nice 25 yarders and the main Anchor / Ball Winner in midfield.
Oliver Nicholas : The 19 year old seems to have displaced original first choice Callum Reynolds with consistant defensive duties.

Last edited:
tactics.png

Lionheart 4-3-1-2

Bog standard set up which has been used in the majority of my games. Other options used are the 4-2-2-2 utilising Attacking Wingers and the more defensive 4-1-3-2 used to slow play down.

My tactic employs :
2 Full Backs Automatic.
2 Central Defenders : Both set to Defend
2 Central Midfielders : Set to Automatic and Support
1 Ball Winning Midfielder set to Support

1 Trequartista set to atttack
1 Advanced Forward set to attack
1 Poacher set to attack

I always play a normal defensive line and push up if dominating possesion home or away.
Away I start with a deep defensive line and push up if dominating.
If my assman suggests otherwise I normally take his advice.
I drill crosses, the fact I have 3 men in the box means someone will get on the end of it and bully it in rather than float them and let defenders have a clue.
I pass direct to feet and play a normal high tempo ( slider is still normal but futher to the right ) this ensures a quick turn around and pace for the likes of Younghusband.

In game I tell my team to Retain Possesion and Work the Ball into the box. This will ensure they keep the ball and dont try smashing the ball out of the park from 30 yards. This can backfire with Sossoko and Kissock being the main villans, however Kissock has a free role and for good reason !

Before every game I look at the opposition and ensure my pacy centre back ( Nicolas at the moment ) is lined up against the fastest opposition striker.

Then check that my poacher ( Younghusband) is set up to face the weakest and / or slowest centre back.

I normally change between Team Blend and Attacking Movements.

I Tight Mark / Close down / Weaker foot enemy strikers
Close down enemy wingers
And hard tackle any one with fitness below 85% or dribblers.
I also check the refs stats, if he is a bit card light then I will set Team Hard tackling in an attempt to kick the opposition off the pitch.

Does it work ??

leagued.png

So far so good :)
Got knocked out of the Fa Cup in the 2nd round so was quite happy considering it was a 2-3 home loss to League One Dagenham and Redbridge.

However I was beaten by 1-2 away by AFC Telford in my previous game.

This little roll of poor form started with a crushing first round exit in the League cup to Harogate ! 2-3 loss at home ( and the only time ive used my winger strat to counter... that needs tweaking ! )

Following that 3 game losing streak ( 2 cup 1 league ) back on form again and on a 4 game winning streak... also got revenge at Harogate :)

---------- Post added at 01:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:18 AM ----------

YouTube - Guiseley vs Kendal Town - Milne Goal 16th minute

Andrew Milne prooves just why he is one of the most highly rated youngsters in the Blue Square North.
This game finished 7-1 with Jean-Paul Kissock scoring 5.

YouTube - Guiseley vs Droylsden - Sissoko Goal 44th minute

Ibrahim Sissoko adds a whole new meaning to lurking outside the box.
Game finished 5-1, Gregoz Mania netting a hattrick.

YouTube - Gainsborough vs Guiseley - Younghusband Goal 31st minute
Phil Younghusband does what he does best.
5-0 victory for Guiseley.

YouTube - Gloucester vs Guiseley - Kissock Goal 38th minute
Trequartista !
2-0 victory over Glouster

Last edited:
Its been a busy couple of weeks at Nethermore, despite not playing a tremendous amount of games.
The rush for hot American signing's met with two hurdles. Firstly being the American draft stage 2 and secondly being the inevitable work permit ! The only clear cut signing remains Alex Zotinca, although there are a couple of options still in the mix.
An injury to Grzegorz Mania also insured that player / coach Connally Edozian found himself on first team duty once again.

Following this a active trial period began as the Irish league finished for the season which saw a influx of free agents. At this busy point I thought it would be good to profile a few of the Guiseley stars and a couple of stand out goals.
leaguej.png

Firstly, Guiseley are still rocking the top of the BSN and using the 4-3-3 Lionheart as the prefered formation. This of course is tweaked every game depending on coach feedback and opposition players.
When deciding which players to profile I was very aware that the FM series always has its "must buy" lower league players. I was somewhat dismayed yet not surprised that the likes of Younghusband is a name floating around a lot ( he was big in FM10 yet I always choose Maximo Irazebel also available in FM11 yet I have left him alone as new game new players :) ) Therefore I have decided to profile some of the lesser known's rather than give you the normal Man Utd no brainer that some guy called Rooney is good and if you have the money its not bad getting hold of some chap called Messi.
So without futher addo....

Connally Edozien :
This Nigerian also holds American and English passports, originally signed as a first team player Connally seemed to lack a bit of drive and workrate. However when he was dropped for Mania and promoted to Player / Coach a fire seemed to have been lit under his behind. At 32 Edozian still has atlest a couple of decent seasons in him and my hope is that he will still be representing the club when we are in League 2. Regardless his coaching stats seem top notch as well at this stage. In regards to his coaching, I suggested in a private chat he might want to look into coaching and his response was that he could start right away if I wanted. On agreeing his coaching stats appeared as if by magic (mmmmm thanks SI very refreshing ! ) However, I did have to re-negotiate his contract, I felt that £20 extra a week and a futher year (2013 ) was justified.
connally.png

connallycoach.png

Bellow is a demonstration of what Edozian brings to the club, as he steped in for an injured Mania with the 2-0 victory at Boston.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrAufliMIx4"]YouTube - Boston Utd vs Guiseley - Younghusband Goal 60th minute[/ame]
Phil Younghusband , doffs his cap to the art of Poaching

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHE6ibn8Eg0"]YouTube - Boston Utd vs Guiseley - Edozien Goal 90th minute[/ame]
They think its all over.... EDOZIEN !!! it is now !Guiseley cruise past Boston 2-0

Ibrahim Sissoko :
Sissoko has represented Mali but holds a french passport. His primary role is that of the ballwinning midfielder. Something he excels in as he holds the 3rd highest tackles per game rate in the league. He also holds the leagues best passing rate at 83% completed making him the complete midfielder. If this was not enough Sissoko has a knack of being in the right place at the right time just on the edge of the box collecting a nice handfull of goals.
ibrahimsiss.png

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DO6leADwZ_E"]YouTube - Guiseley vs Workington - Sissoko Goal 13th minute[/ame]
Ibrahim Sissoko scores a cracking effort to open the score line in the 2-1 victory against Workington.

Hope you have enjoyed this update.
Currently I am trying to fill out my first team squad a little and would like to sign another Defender, Midfielder, AMC and pace striker.
With the league in the home stretch I want to only sign quality as the end of the season will result in a scramble for free agents who should in theory be far superior to 50% of my squad. I am also aware of the fact that much of my squad have become targets for League 2 clubs. I am pretty much willing to let anyone ( dont tell the fans !! ) go for a decent price as I am well aware of lower league finances and the plethora of free agents available in 4 months time. Will keep you updated :)

Season End 10 / 11

[FONT=&quot]Well, the season 10/11 is over and finished with a somewhat ironic / poetic 4-1 victory over Eastwood. I say this because I hold a season ticket for Norwich and witnessed them take apart our arch rivals Ipswich Town 4-1 yesterday morning! What a great day for football both real and fictional ! The only downside of the game was John Paul Kissock going out for 4-5 weeks with a thigh strain and a rather confused journalist asking if we will miss Kissock in our next game ?! Where is the option to say "It was the last game of the season you spud" the good news however is he can rest up in the Coasta del Sol... although on his wages its more likely to be Sunny Scunny !
The final league table see's Vaxhaul and Reddich going down and AFC Telford winning the playoffs.

league.png

The end stats were also pretty succesfull with Guiseley players being named amongst the high achiveres in the league. Phil Younghusband also picked up both BSN Player of the season and Fans player of the season. A few sharp eyed people will also notice the addition of 28 year old Welsh midfielder Chris Bale who was signed for £85 a week just to add a bit of bite to the midfield. Unfortuntaly due to the steam rolling of the league many of my players were seeming to get complacent and it came to the point where I was having to really pay attention to all team talks / media interaction and drop people quite frequently. This gave me some pretty severe midfield problems.

1011leagstats.png

1011stas.png

The close of the season saw a few additions to the squad which will be mentioned in the next pre season update as well as a back room shake up.Danny Jackson joined Edozien as Player / Coach and Alex Zotinca became Guiseley's new Player / Assistant Manager.
I also decided it was time to change my skin and liked the look of Galaxy, so thanks Nick Jones for that !

With the season over its time to now assess the squad and see who needs to move on and who needs to come in. There are a few members of my squad who , despite playing well did not really enamour me with their attititude or week in week out performance.

[/FONT]

Last edited:
Season 2011 / 12

The post season saw Guiseley running a few friendlies to generate both fitness and cash. No real surprises other than a 4-0 win against Championship Portsmouth. A 1-1 draw with Tottenham Reserves saw the games out of the way to set up a BSP opener against Mansfield.
Before kicking off the game the ritual pizza has been thrown into the oven and I thought it was time to sumerise my transfer activity.
Firstly the backroom had 2 new additions in the shape of Stuart Morgan and Stephen Fennel. A pair of scouts signed on one year contracts both will be assigned to finding me new players.

A few players were allowed to leave the club, those include Musa Rassaq(Free - Hednesford), James Ashmore (3k - Luton Town ), Stephen Shirley (6k - Accrington)
Rassaq had not really featured and was only signed as a backup defender as he was able to play anywhere across the back.
Ashmore unfortunatly did not deliver last season and seemed on the arrogant side and Stephen Shirley was the clubs highest earner on £475 a week. His ability did not reflect this wage so he was reluctantly told to move on.
James Milne also currently sits on the transfer list in the reserves. Although he showed glimmers of excellence his attitude and progression did not merit a feature in the clubs long term plans.

Bellow is the current squad list for the season.
teamsheet1112.png

New additions include :
Stephen Cleary - Highly rated 16 year old defender
Derrick Williams - 18 year old Irish defender product of Aston Villa's accademy
Chiek Toure - 18 year old Ivorian product of Fulhams youth accademy
Matthew Lund - Released by stoke this midfielder fufills the hole left by Ashmore.
Ronnan Finn - The diminutive midfielder is both aggressive and determined. He should add some bite to the midfield

John Thorrington - Former USA international , John is Guiseley's major coup signing. Holding American, South African and English passports it was easy to sign John when he was released by Chicago Fire. Able to play anywhere in midfield his mental game ischampionship standard !
throrringtonk.png

Micah Evans - With pace and determination capable of lighting up a defence Micah joins as a pacey impact striker. Released by Blackburn, he was snapped up as he was exactly the type of player needed to bolster Guiseley's strike force. Arguably let down by his finishing he could well become a frustration rather than a revelation, but this is the Blue Square Prem baby !
mevans.png

---------- Post added at 01:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 AM ----------

Opening game vs Mansfield, Micah Evans seems to be worth the gamble. Coming off the bench in the 63rd minute Evans manages to turn the game around scoring twice ! The match end's 2-1 Guisley with this dramatic goal !

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQrLxH7zcCI"]YouTube - Mansfield vs Guiseley - Evans Goal 90th minute[/ame]
Micah Evan's uses his pace to skin Mark Preece in the 90th minute to bring the misery down on Mansfield fans !

---------- Post added at 02:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:37 AM ----------

I had not really anticipated 2 updates straight after the close season but it seems Guiseley has become the Micah Evans show !!
In the second game of the season, Micah gets his first start and is yet to play 180 minutes for Guiseley. In a game that unfortunatly ended 3-3 Micah finished his Hattrick and 5th goal in 2 games with this peach !

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eycFB-svTEc"]YouTube - Grimsby vs Guiseley - Evans Goal 36th minute[/ame]
Micah Evans, 36 minute Hattrick

However football is ****** anoying as Mansfield managed to pull the game back to 3 - 3. A rediculous penalty (well we never really see it do we, we just go on what our players say and get an Fa bollocking ! ) cost me a warning and us the 3 points, but WORSE was Micah Evan's 4th in the 87th minute that was CLEARLY onside and disallowed... although the ref had an Excellent game apparently ?! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Oliver_(referee) ??

Then just when Im still fuming the news reporter asks me a real screamer of a no brain question, one of those moments when you just have to tell it how it is with an > Insert additional comment <
dumbjurno.png

Phil Younghusband 1 of the vest in the lower leagues

tactics.png

Lionheart 4-3-1-2

Bog standard set up which has been used in the majority of my games. Other options used are the 4-2-2-2 utilising Attacking Wingers and the more defensive 4-1-3-2 used to slow play down.

My tactic employs :
2 Full Backs Automatic.
2 Central Defenders : Both set to Defend
2 Central Midfielders : Set to Automatic and Support
1 Ball Winning Midfielder set to Support

1 Trequartista set to atttack
1 Advanced Forward set to attack
1 Poacher set to attack

I always play a normal defensive line and push up if dominating possesion home or away.
Away I start with a deep defensive line and push up if dominating.
If my assman suggests otherwise I normally take his advice.
I drill crosses, the fact I have 3 men in the box means someone will get on the end of it and bully it in rather than float them and let defenders have a clue.
I pass direct to feet and play a normal high tempo ( slider is still normal but futher to the right ) this ensures a quick turn around and pace for the likes of Younghusband.

In game I tell my team to Retain Possesion and Work the Ball into the box. This will ensure they keep the ball and dont try smashing the ball out of the park from 30 yards. This can backfire with Sossoko and Kissock being the main villans, however Kissock has a free role and for good reason !

Before every game I look at the opposition and ensure my pacy centre back ( Nicolas at the moment ) is lined up against the fastest opposition striker.

Then check that my poacher ( Younghusband) is set up to face the weakest and / or slowest centre back.

I normally change between Team Blend and Attacking Movements.

I Tight Mark / Close down / Weaker foot enemy strikers
Close down enemy wingers
And hard tackle any one with fitness below 85% or dribblers.
I also check the refs stats, if he is a bit card light then I will set Team Hard tackling in an attempt to kick the opposition off the pitch.

If it's not too much asking, can you upload your tactic? :D I played same formation but different roles, now I feel like changing it but I don't wanna go too far with tactics. My players need to learn it, and I'm in mid-season :p

Thanks, in advance!

Great stuff getting them promoted and sounded like a pain in the **** game there against Mansfield :(

( I have uploaded the 4-3-3 Lionheart, give it 72 hrs to be Ok'd. Then it should be available under FM11 downloads / tactics )

---------- Post added at 01:19 AM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 10:33 PM ----------

I had not really decided to do an update until around December ( game time ) but figured due to everything going on ( and boredom ) I would do a pre pub Guiseley AFC update.
league1.png

Well the new season is rolling on quite well and its a whole lot different than last year ! I find myself tweaking my strats and employing a more defensive 4-1-3-2 Lionheart defend at the 50 - 60 minute mark if in the lead. Gone are the set up the game hit play and take a **** / get a cuppa days of the BSN ! Despite this Guiseley are sitting top of the BSP although its really tight. A 2-1 loss at Stockport set us down to 3rd only to recapture the top spot after a hard fought 3-2 victory against Southport. I was forced to change my Trequartista for a 3rd striker in the dying minutes only it was John Thorrington who got the winner, well...technically... A sliding tackle on Thorrington who was clean through resulted in the defender playing the ball perfectly into his own net ! Gutting for Southport but dancing in the streets for the Guiseley fans...
Hmmm the fans... well looking at the stats there are not many of them ! ( now I know what it feels to be an Ipswich fan :( ) I am sincerly hoping that these gates will raise as the club gains fortune :)

attendancey.png

A new face has also joined the squad, Irish striker Anthony Flood. The 26 year old joins on a free transfer as Phil Younghusband is out with an injury for 6-8 weeks. The game currently tells me hes out for roughly a month more. Although Mania is filling in well an injury to Mania or Evans could spell disaster for Guiseley.
That brings me to my next issue, I am thinking about dropping the whole Trequartista as a AMC and pulling him forwards to make a 3rd striker . Kissock blows so hot and cold its anoying me ( although the fans love him ) and new boy Lund although settling in well just doesnt seem to do very much, or should I say hes not setting the world alight ! Edozian has come off the bench and only had 2 starts so far as hes concentrating on his coaching. I am thinking that playing the Trequartista as a Striker will force him to play more attacking. The reality however seems to be that I just cant attract a player of the right standard to play in the role how I want him to !( Wonder if I can attract Wes Hoolihan from Norwich when hes 40 ? only 11 years to wait ! )

That said I am pretty happy with most things at the moment. Stand out players are :
John Thorrington : Hard working midfielder really reflecting the fact he has represented the USA.
Micah Evans : Utter revelation pace striker 13 goals 7 assists and 6 MoM in 13 apperances !
Grezgorz Mania : Stepping in for the injured Younghusband Mania has a impressive 4 Goals and 5 Assists from 6 starts and 3 Sub apperances.
Derrick Williams : Seems to have shoved Jackson out of the pecking order to partner Nicholas in defence.

Oliver Nicholas also begins a new chapter in his career as he has chosen to represent Eritrea at International level. Before you think I have sneezed, Eritrea is a small North Aftrican place just outside Ethieopia ( Yes I googled it !! ) Great debut saw Nicholas scoring !
nichint.png

Due to Nicholas international career and Williams away with the Irish U-21 the 3-2 win over Southport was made ever sweeter by the debut of 16 year out Stephen Cleary who partnered Danny Jackson. Cheik Toure is currently out of favour having 2 dreadfull sub apperances and a sending off in the 2-1 loss over Stockport. I never have a lot of patience with players so currently I am debating what to do with him. At this level of play players can be replaced very easily if slacking !
He played very well considering I classified the game as "must win" It was a risk not giving him any let up on the pre and half time talks but post game I was sure to tell him in the team talk and then privately how impressed I had been !
cleary.png

I will finish up the update with a couple of goals that were important or stand out for me :)

YouTube - Guiseley vs Darlington - Mania Goal 67th minute
Mania rounds off his Hattrick in the 4-0 vicory over Darlington.

YouTube - Bath vs Guiseley - Finn Goal 45th minute
Ronan Finn rounds off a fluid passing display on live Tv in the 2-1 win vs Bath.

YouTube - Guiseley vs Kidderminster - Younghusband Goal 32nd minute
Evans is not just a striker ! 2-1 win vs Kidderminster