FM13 shall I?

• Thread starter Thread starter vj531
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 15
  • Views Views 2K

vj531

Reaction score
Hi - I played FM12 to death in the spring but ran out of steam (no pun intended) after two premier league and and a champions success with Spurs - took about 4 seasons in play time.

Now FM13 is out I've downloaded the demo but is there enough freshness/difference in the new version to make it worthwhile?

Cheers.

After reading alot of reviews/opinions, I can summarize:

If you've always liked just buying better players than everyone else, downloading a plug and play tactic, and winning the league 10 times in a row without doing anything, don't buy it.

If you want an actual manager simulation, where you need to use your brain and micro-manage, definately buy it, as it's a big improvement over FM12.

Now FM13 is out I've downloaded the demo but is there enough freshness/difference in the new version to make it worthwhile?

Cheers.

Plenty of difference and freshness, definitely a challenge ;)

With FM12 I used to bid for players using the maximum length repayment terms. Got Cavani for £35m over 60 months or whatever the max was I'm almost sure the Spurs board should have said NO. Has this "feature" been squashed.

Danyul your description has me interested!

With FM12 I used to bid for players using the maximum length repayment terms. Got Cavani for £35m over 60 months or whatever the max was I'm almost sure the Spurs board should have said NO. Has this "feature" been squashed.
I don't do it often so I'm not sure. I think I read on here that it does still work, but it will cost you more than if you just paid upfront.

Shame as I think it is a bug - No one pays £35m upfront except maybe Chelsea and Man City.

also to add balance there are some damming reviews around on the net look here Amazon.co.uk: Customer Reviews: Football Manager 2013 (PC DVD)
Yeah I know, I've read them and that's what my post was kind of implying. Alot of them complain that the game is complicated, when that's the whole point. They obviously don't have the intelligence to cope with a managerial game more complex than FIFA.

Yeah I know, I've read them and that's what my post was kind of implying. Alot of them complain that the game is complicated, when that's the whole point. They obviously don't have the intelligence to cope with a managerial game more complex than FIFA.

Yes I get your drift.

Although FM12 was far from perfect - I did enjoy it. I'm just looking for a real improvement in FM13 not a just realigning of menus buttons.

What stand FM13 apart from FM12?

Graphical match engine does not hold any clout with me.

Shame as I think it is a bug - No one pays £35m upfront except maybe Chelsea and Man City.

also to add balance there are some damming reviews around on the net look here http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B0097662GO/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

And hardly anyone pays the full fee in installments. On FM13, you can pay with installments, but you will need to put up some of the transfer money immediately, with the rest going over how ever many months. I generally pay 20% of the full value immediately they get the rest paid over a period of time.

Also, reviews on Amazon are by people like you or I, you have no idea about the background of the person reviewing it, it could be someone that just lost 1-0 to Plymouth with Man United and are ****** off at the game and want to vent it somewhere, and ended up on Amazon. At the end of the day, try the demo out, if you think it's worth £20, then buy it, if you don't, then play FM12. :) I would say it's worth it, £20 isn't a ground breaking amount of money for a game you could easily clock up 1,000 - 2,000 hours on/

Playing since 1992, so i think i can say this without being shallow:

Buy it, it's worthy and the best CM/FM ever!

It as bugs? yes, also your basement and you still like to live in there!

Yes I get your drift.

Although FM12 was far from perfect - I did enjoy it. I'm just looking for a real improvement in FM13 not a just realigning of menus buttons.

What stand FM13 apart from FM12?

Graphical match engine does not hold any clout with me.
Well, putting aside the host of small features that improve the game, but could be overlooked (e.g. if someone approaches a staff member, you can just ask him to stay without offering a new contract), the main change that stands out:

- It's harder. As I said before you can't just put out the same team and tactic every game and expect to win. You have to manage everything. There are posts on this board that talk about games where, for example, they noticed a youngster starting at FB in the next game. The guy belittled him in the press interview, then set the 'focus passing' to that flank, and his winger opposing this young fullback got 3 assists in a 4-1 win (my memory may not be 100% correct, but that was the general idea). This change is enough for me to say the game is worth buying, as it really does make a managerial game reguire management.

I can't really put a finger on other significant changes that explain why I enjoy this game. Most of them tie into the 'it being harder' point. Another example being that the cost of young regens is more alligned with real life (think Alex Chamberlain). Although it is sometimes annoying as some youngsters are massively overvalued.

If you're still not convinced though, I would just say don't buy it. It's such a time consuming game that if you're undecided about buying it, you probably won't get immersed in it.

Micro-management? Like what? Keeping your players happy? praise if they did a good match or tell they werent good enough?
Because unless you play in a lower league you wont see much space to play mind games against top teams. Its really nice the example you gave, about the young FB, but that wont happen more the once in a year, or so.
I just wanna know what you, and the whole forum mean with micro-management,
thank you

Micro-management? Like what? Keeping your players happy? praise if they did a good match or tell they werent good enough?
Because unless you play in a lower league you wont see much space to play mind games against top teams. Its really nice the example you gave, about the young FB, but that wont happen more the once in a year, or so.
I just wanna know what you, and the whole forum mean with micro-management,
thank you
It's true that the way in which you keep players happy is generally the same as last year (although there are more situational team talks and chat options), but by micro-management I meant tactically. Actually tbh, team-talks are more important this year. You can't simply use the same 1 or 2 every single time and get perfect responses. I've found all the options have been useful atleast once.

I was playing away against PSG, who had Pastore (their main threat) playing on the left of their attacking midfield. So instead of a winger, I played a more defensively minded midfielder, with good teamwork and work rate attributes (Moussa Sissoko) infront of my right FB. The result? Pastore did nothing and I won 2-1.

Playing against 10 men this year seems more realistic. On FM12, if the opponent got a red card, you would increase width, push the fullbacks up etc to stretch the play. Yet the game played out in the same way. On FM13 I've used this more than once to great effect.

There have been times where my opponents had weak fullbacks/wingers, so I played wider, focused passing down the flanks, used the 'exploit the flanks' shout and had a landslide win. Other times they would be weak centrally, and I'd use the narrow tactics. Maybe even drop an extra player into midfield. So, similar to the example I gave in my last post, but it works more than you believe it does.

I could be playing a weak team at home, and notice that their defense, whilst good, is pretty slow. So instead of just going all out attack, I played deep, on the counter, and used my two fastest strikers. They both demolished the opposing team.

At the end of the day, I can't be certain that these were all the sole reasons why I won a match; let alone convince you. But it's working for me and I'll keep doing it.

It's your money, you decide whether to buy the game (as unfortunately you can't trade in PC games if you change your mind). I bought it, I'm enjoying it and that's all that matters to me. But I can't guarantee you'll also enjoy it.

Last edited:
Thanks for that answer, gave me a much better idea how the game works now

And hardly anyone pays the full fee in installments. On FM13, you can pay with installments, but you will need to put up some of the transfer money immediately, with the rest going over how ever many months. I generally pay 20% of the full value immediately they get the rest paid over a period of time.

Also, reviews on Amazon are by people like you or I, you have no idea about the background of the person reviewing it, it could be someone that just lost 1-0 to Plymouth with Man United and are ****** off at the game and want to vent it somewhere, and ended up on Amazon. At the end of the day, try the demo out, if you think it's worth £20, then buy it, if you don't, then play FM12. :) I would say it's worth it, £20 isn't a ground breaking amount of money for a game you could easily clock up 1,000 - 2,000 hours on/

Where can I buy for £20 best price I've found is £30

Back