Football Manager. Pathetically unrealistic.

• Thread starter Thread starter pukka-pie
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 3
  • Views Views 5K
Status
Not open for further replies.

pukka-pie

Reaction score
Here's a little story. In the first 18 games of the season, with what I believe to be a very good team, I lost 3 games. We were brilliant, we defended well, we scored almost at will. We were near unbeatable. Then suddenly and for no apparent reason whatsoever we went 12 games.... that's TWELVE! Without a win. Now I understand that teams can struggle but I honestly believe that a brilliant team does not become a dire one for no reason at all and in such a short space of time. This does not happen in football very often at all but in FM it is entirely expected.

Now when you ask people about how to get out of a losing streak they tell you to change your tactics. Well i'm sorry but in real life a manager does not need to change his tactics often just to avoid losing streaks. Should Swansea ditch the way they pass?? No of course not but in football manager it seems to be generally accepted that you should keep changing your tactics; that somehow tactics that were superb one month ago are now utterly ineffective (do SI think Swansea are going to be playing long balls in the second half of this season?!?!??!?!). Now you tell me that this is realistic and i'll tell you to refer to ANY team currently in the premier league and contrast their tactics at the start of the season to their tactics now. Frankly i'm completely sick and tired of my team turning into a bunch of idiots that can hardly kick a ball for no reason, it's unrealistic and worst of all it makes FM thoroughly unenjoyable.

And then there's morale. Your team lose 1-0 against the best team in the league and they're suddenly crushed by the weight of depression. Give me a break! They spiral into the most crippling, depressive state imaginable, their form gets worse and worse. You drop out of cups, you plummet down the table. I mean what the **** is this?! They lose a game so they all become little babies crying themselves to sleep?? And don't even get me started on the 'Talk to Team' feature, the laziest feature in any game I have ever played, or the Team talks that reputedly "Fire Up" or "Motivate" your team only for them to go out in the second half and be WORSE.

Honestly I don't mind losing, I even enjoy the odd relegation battle, but the way the game clearly goes out of its way to undermine the choices you make by throwing in these losing streaks it is just pathetic, unrealistic, unfair and damaging to the game.

If in real life Spurs, Everton, Arsenal or Liverpool go on an historic non winning streak for the rest of this season or in fact ANY season that's started well then I take it back but some teams are too good to plummet like a rock and football manager will be a frustrating joke until SI iron out this nonsense.

Haven't found this... ever?

seen a few threads now about this but when i have a slump i drop poor performing/jaded players, and i play with high rotation anyway, my team is quite deep in quality aswell but i find that alot of my players (eg. redmond) out perform their 'better' positional rivals (eg. Rodriguez). playing badly or having a bad couple of games you should abuse your team ^^ when they are low morale big them up, talk to them 1 by 1 and be sure to manage their morale and form carefully.

tactics are a big deal, against weak teams attack, against good teams control and i see form really have a impact play negative style (like counter) when form is low because you can get those odd goals whilst not leaving yourself exposed due to a unhappy team. Also i find training team cohesion the BEST as it keeps the squad together in a lose, and keeps you happy when you win, my team is normally very good or better and they all have favored personnel as most of the team (and me).

Look at arsenal as a team they can win or be unbeaten in 10 games then lose one game and get so demoralized that they struggle for games, they have a weak core and a weak manager (in terms of player management cause he seems to always shift the blame).

Look at man utd. they have played the SAME tactics for the past 5-6 years 4-5 strikers and a counter attacking/ out scoring outlook, if they win 10 games in a row then lose one the 'old alcoholic' gives them the hairdryer treatment and they know to buck up their ideas.

Just my outlook/successes.

Always run into this on FM myself, every single year. Always hear the change tactics nonsense. Sad fact is it's the only way to get out of the slump until you get to build an OP team that steamrolls everything. Tell me what you will but having to make MASSIVE changes mid season every time is not realistic, minor tweaks are what's realistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back