Masoaoki

Reaction score

Hi, so I have a bad habit of starting saves that I think will make a great story then getting bored of them and not continuing them but I've been trying to do a Gladbach save since this game came out and finally I've got an idea for one to make it more fun and so here I go!

View attachment 184689

I've set out a couple of rules to make the save more interesting, well one rule really, so here it is:

Excluding Germany as it is the home nation I can only sign players from 1 country per continent. This will make it harder for me as I can't just fill my team full of the usual big names. Having a look at the squad and some players I've decided on 2 of these countries and will add the others as I go on but I plan on choosing odd countries so I don't just get loads of Argentinian regen wonderkids in. Any players not from Germany or these chosen nations will have to be sold by the end of my 2nd season. What I've chosen so far is:

Europe : Switzerland
South America : Uruguay
North America : United States

I am allowing 1 exception to this rule in my squad, this mean I can have 1 player who is not from a designated nation in my squad, this player has already been decided though as he started at Gladbach and I want to develop him.

Meet Mr Exception Mandela Egbo of England:

View attachment 184690

I'll update again tomorrow with some key players, squad info and preseason!

Cheers guys :) Going to be slow at first with the updating because I've got a busy weekend but once I get into next week I'll have nothing really to do so should be able to get through a decent amount :)

Preseason and Transfers 2015

View attachment 184308

Okay so I started the game with a very small transfer budget, only £1.5M, and had a few signings I wanted to make so some outgoings would also be necessary. I didn't actually do all the business I wanted to but I managed to bring in my main target and offload the main player I was looking to sell:

View attachment 184306

So I only sold 2 players. Ibrahima Traore was the main player I wanted to sell, with my tactic a left-footed winger doesn't really fit and he was also the worst winger I have at the club. The fee for him wasn't the largest but it could rise by another 3 million if he plays enough for Watford and his national team (which he should he's Guinea's best player pretty much). Branimir Hrgota was another one who didn't really fit my tactical plan, I like using a complete forward up front and he's not capable of playing that role, his contract also ends in one year and he wanted a pay increase that his goals to games record just doesn't suggest he's deserving of.

As You can see I made 3 incomings and here's a more major look at them:

View attachment 184305View attachment 184304View attachment 184303

Gokhan Gul is a good prospect for the future, he might get a game or two this season but he won't play much. He'll start to play a lot more from next season and will probably spend a lot of this season with the U19s and Second team. He has well rounded stats for his age though.

Rodrigo Bentancur
was my main target for the summer. He's a great prospect but he can also play now. I need to train him to be able to play AMR and once he's capable there his versatility will come into full play. He could be a future starter as either my winger or part of my central midfield 2. I'll have to see how he develops and also which players leave/join to decide where his future truly lies but I love how he could be a world class operator in 2 distinct positions for me. Potentially in the future he could even play AML as my inside forward or DM, his potential versatility is incredible and his stats are already fantastic for his age. He'll need to improve his decision making quite quickly though.

Olivier Kleiner has been brought in as backup at LB. He might never play for us but I was planning on selling one of my LBs this summer and noone has come in for either of the 2 I'm trying to sell. At only £80,000 this transfer will be worth it though, if he plays even once he's been value for money and I'll undoubtedly be able to make a profit on him. A win-win situation with next to no risk involved.

So with those signings that took my squad to this:

View attachment 184302

There's a good mix of established talent and future prospects in there at the moment. I particularly like Xhaka and Dahoub in midfield, they could be a partnership for years. I'll take a more in depth look at my squad next time.

So we had a lot of friendlies lined up, let's see how we got on:

View attachment 184301

Not great overall to be honest, we didn't score enough goals and considering we had our first choice front 3 available for most of these that's disappointing. I did play youngsters a fair bit too to be fair but still a lot of work to be done if we're to achieve my goals. Our performances, if not results, picked up quite dramatically after the friendly cup to be fair and we finished with 2 good victories although again with a caveat, Gladbeck are a regional team in Germany and Wegberg are probably the second worst team we played.

Still I'm optimistic for the season ahead and believe we can make some noise.

Next time I'll take a look at tactics and some key players both now and for the future within my squad :)

Got to go to work now though so thanks for reading​

Key Players and Tactics

View attachment 183109

Sorry for the delay in my updating, been busy the past few days.

So last time we looked over preseason and my summer signings, this time I'll be looking over a key player in each area of the pitch and a couple of key youngsters as well as my tactics for this team.

In terms of my defence, there wasn't really anyone in my back 4 who stood out as a key man as they're all fairly similar and so for my key defensive player I've actually chosen my goalkeeper, Yann Sommer:

View attachment 183108

With Yann in the team, it allows me to player a higher defensive line than normal due to the fact that he's not just a goalkeeper, he's actually better as a Sweeper Keeper. For a goalkeeper he has very good technique and first touch as well as retaining the key attributes of being a good keeper like his reflexes and the command he has over the area. He's a top quality keeper and one I plan on keeping for a long time.

In Midfield there was only one man it could be for me, Granit Xhaka:

View attachment 183107

Granit is really a top class Central Midfielder, he can play very well both in Centre Mid and Defensive mid however I think for at least the first season we'll see him playing Centre Mid all the time. He has outstanding passing and vision which makes him ideal for my system but it is his all around game that makes him so key. He is probably our best player at the moment, at worst he's in the top 3.

In attack, again there was only one player I could select. Patrick Herrmann:

View attachment 183104

The winger is undoubtedly our best creative force and I'm hoping he'll chip in with a few goals from the right wing too. Although technically not the best player he makes up for it with a brilliant work ethic and some fantastic physical attributes, he's a real speed merchant. I'm expecting big things from him as there were rumours of Bayern having an interest throughout the summer. I signed him up to a new contract with a much higher release clause (now £60M whereas before it was £14.25M) to ward off any potential interest as I want Herrmann for the long haul.

In terms of youngsters there's 2 boys who will likely have starting roles for me in my best 11:

View attachment 183103View attachment 183102

Firstly Marvin Schulz, he's likely to be my starting DM however he will have a battle on his hands with Nordveit for the starting spot. Due to Nordveit being Norweigan though I'll be looking to play Marvin more as he has a more long term future with us. He's only 20 and so does need some work to his game but he already looks as good if not better than my other options in that position. I'm looking forward to seeing him develop into one of the best DMs in the world hopefully.

Mahmoud Dahoub
is the real jewel of the club though. He's my second best CM behind Xhaka and he's only 19. He's brilliant already in most facets of the game, his only major downside being his lack of pace but this shouldn't be too much of an issue as I'm looking for him to be more of a Xavi and dictate play in the centre of the park. Again, like Schulz, I'm looking forward to seeing him hopefully develop into one of the world's very best in his role.

So with those key players I had to decide on a tactic and this is what I've got:

View attachment 183101View attachment 183100

I've always admired the Barcelona style of play with 2 playmakers in the middle dictating proceedings and 3 players up front to do the damage. Xhaka and Dahoub play the key roles in my team as I expect them to not only dictate our short passing, possession based game but also to help out a lot in the defensive side of things. Obviously Schulz plays a key role too as he guards the back 4, like Sergio Busquests does for Barca (incidentally I think Busquets is one of the world's most underrated players). Our front 3 of Herrmann, Drmic and Hahn are who I'm expecting to score the vast majority of our goals, they can all finish well and are all quick so I'm hoping we can catch a few opponents on the counter as well as passing them to death.

That's all for now, August will be up very soon :)

August 2015

View attachment 183099
Mahmoud Daboud, our present and future central star

So a quiet month to start off the season as we only have 4 games, 1 in the cup and 3 in the league. It is essential to try and get off to a good start. Anything less than a win in our cup game would be an absolute disaster. So how did we get on?

Bahlingen 0 - 1 Gladbach
Drmic (11)

A nice start to the season but a game that we had to win so not much to note really. Good to see Drmic start the season off with a goal though.

We draw Nurnberg in the next round

Werder Bremen 0 - 1 Gladbach
Galvez OG (61)

We were the much better team throughout this game and deserved to win by more if I'm being honest. Some wasteful finishing up front and we only won through a defensive error on their part. Obviously I'll take the 3 points though.

Gladbach 1
- 0 Hertha Berlin
Drmic (35)

Another 1-0 win, 3 on the row now! Again we were the much better team and again some wasteful finishing was what stopped us winning this game a lot more comfortably. Drmic now has 2 in 3 but to be honest he could (probably should) have double that.

Gladbach 0 - 1 Bayern Munich

No shame in this, they're comfortably the best team in the Bundesliga. We gave it a good go but in the end their extra quality in attacking areas was what made the difference. Both teams defended very well and it was a game of few chances, they took the 1 clear cut chance that the game offered up and managed to get the win because of it. Like I said, no shame on our part as I was somewhat expecting a hammering.

So with those few games how does the league table look at this early juncture?

View attachment 183098

We're up in 5th already which is the minimum I'm hoping for this season. The only problem is that most of the other big teams have also started well, I was hoping one or two of them would start very poorly like Dortmund and Schalke did last season. A long way to go obviously but so far so good.

Our champions league group was also drawn at the end of this season and the footballing gods were not kind to us:

View attachment 183097

Arguably we got the toughest draw possible. All 4 of these teams could realistically finish anywhere from 1st to 4th in the group but we'll probably be the favourites to finish last. In all honesty as long as we put in a good showing I don't mind where we finish as this season is more about the league for me

Player of the Month
Julian Korb

View attachment 183096

The Right back has started the season very well. He's only playing because I've had to push my first choice (Tony Jantschke) into CB due to injuries but he's taken his opportunity very well. This season will be the season for either Julian or Tony to establish themselves as first choice as Mandela Egbo needs game time and so next season will be second choice meaning one of Julian and Tony will likely be sold at the end of the season to accommodate for Egbo.

September should be up later tonight :)