From the North East

Ian Caithness

Reaction score
"Caithness Announced as Newcastle Manager"

In a press conference brimming with sports journalists, Newcastle United Chairman Mike Ashley announced the appointment of Ian Caithness as their new manager following the departure of Alan Pardew. Speaking to journalists, Caithness said that "Newcastle is my home and it is a true mark of how great this club is that it is now fighting among Europe's greats in the Europa League. I'm delighted to be invited to take this opportunity and hope that the success I bring to the club will be enough for the fans."

Asked about transfer targets and his policy, an initially sheepish and quiet Caithness confirmed that he was looking to strengthen the defense which he said "was relying too heavily on players from the Championship era of two years ago" and that "young players are paramount" in his consideration.

Taking questions from the press, Caithness announced that Chelsea were in talks to sign Demba Ba following the activation of his £7 million release clause and hoped for a quick and speedy resolution to the matter. Asked whether he would look to bring in another striker to compliment Papiss Demba Cisse, Caithness said that he had a "wealth of targets in mind" and would be "discussing those targets with the board in the coming days."

Back