From Vallecas with love

Reaction score
View attachment 154685

Rayo Vallecano

Modern football is becoming more and more a sport of the riches. If you don't have the money, you won't be able to compete. The small neighbourhood clubs are more or less endagnered and clubs are more concerned about selling shirts and increasing their popularity in foreign countries then actually carrying about their own fans. But now and then you might be able to catch a glimmer of hope. In Germany there's FC St Pauli fighting a battle against facism aswell as homophobia. Using their position as a respected football club to actually make a difference.

In Spain that club is Rayo Vallecano. A left-wing club with a passionate fanbase in the outskirts of Madrid, in the Vallecas neighbourhood. Since winning promotion during the 2010-11 season Rayo Vallecano has been able to make an impression both on the pitch and off it. In March 2012 the squad was given a day off to join demonstrations regarding the political state in Spain. The people was fed up with how the country was run and wanted to make their voices heard and the Rayo players joined in.

View attachment 154687

Unfortunately in recent years Rayo has been demanded to follow in the footsteps of modern football by expanding their brand in Asia aswell as in North America. The Rayo president Raúl Martin Presa bought the american club Oklahoma City and renamed it Rayo OKC and gave it a logo similar to the one of the spanish club.
View attachment 154686

But throughout all this Rayo Vallecano and their faithful fans stayed true to their believes. In 2014 an 85 year old widow named Carmen Martinez Ayudo was about to be evicted from her home. A place in which she had lived for the past 50 years. The reason? She used her apartment as an guarantee on a loan that her son had taken and he wasn't able to pay it back. The story reached Rayo Vallecano and manager Paco Jémez and they weren't slow to act. They found Carmen another apartment and offered themselves to pay the rent. As if this wasn't enough the club started a foundation to help similar people in need. During Rayos following home-match their supporters held up a banner that read:

"The evictions of a sick state, the solidarity of a working-class neighbourhood."

Because thats what Rayo Vallecano is. A working-class club that cares of their own and with supporters who stands for solidarity and equality amongst eachother. Protests and banners with different political motives is common at the Estadio Vallecas and during matches you can hear the Rayo-faithful jumping and singing:

"Whoever doesn't bounce is a fascist."

View attachment 154688View attachment 154689

When presenting the new kits for the upcoming 2015-16 season, Rayo Vallecano decided to do something different. Something that could serve to help others. The first kit is, as always, white and with the River Plate-inspired red stripe across the chest. But it's their second and third kit that stands out. Their second kit is inspired by the pink ribbon to raise awareness about breast cancer. Whilst their third kit, the rainbow kit, is supporting the LGBT-commuity. But thats not all, each different colour in the rainbow represents something:

Red for people fighting cancer
Orange for people fighting for rights of disabled people
Yellow for people refusing to lose hope (mental illness)
Green for environmental campaigns
Blue for people working against child abuse
Pink for victims of domestic and gender violence

"The rainbow flag is going to fight against homophobia. We will wear it proudly. You can also see a series of ribbons each representing a cause." - President Raul Martin Presa.

View attachment 154691
"Love Rayo, hate racism."

Their constant fight against racism is another cause that the Rayo-fans does with a passion. The late Laurie Cunningham is an ex-Rayo Vallecano player and a front-name in the Rayo-fans campaign to fight racism. Needless to say: Rayo Vallecano is no ordinary club. And their faithful fans deserve some success...

View attachment 154690

View attachment 154680View attachment 154679

OFFICIAL: Paco Jémez extends contract with Rayo Vallecano

After a summer of numerous speculations regarding the future of Paco Jémez, Rayo Vallecano today confirmed that the outspoken manager had extended his contract until the end of the 2015-16 season. Paco Jémez had been linked with the job as Real Madrid and Valencia manager aswell as one of the candidates to take over the Spanish nationalteam. But the former Rayo Vallecano and Zaragoza defender opted to stay with his current employees for another season. Paco Jémez was appointed Rayo Vallecano manager the 22:nd of June 2012 and following an eight place finish that season he saw his contract extended until 2015. The Rayo Vallecano board is said to be delighted with having been able to tie down Paco Jémez for another season. Under the guidance of Paco Jémez the Madrid-based club has been able to play an very attractive possession based football and has finished 8:th(2012/13), 12:th(2013/14) and 11:th(2014/15) during his reign. With one of the smallest budgets in La Liga, Rayo Vallecano has been forced to opt for free-agents and loan-players to put up an competitive side. Something they have been very successful in doing.

View attachment 154666

View attachment 154665

View attachment 154664

View attachment 154577View attachment 154576View attachment 154575
Staff changes at Vallecas

Shortly after having announced the extension of my contract, planifaction started for the upcoming season and with it changes followed. I had requested more personnel to increase the traininglevel at the club and make my work alot easier. Several new faces where introduced to the club whilst two former coaches left Rayo Vallecano.

View attachment 154570

Two fitness coaches were relieved of their duties at Estadio Vallecas. Victor Paredes and Julio Muñoz wasn't quiet at the level expected to be able to help and push the club to the next level. Their departures left the us with no fitness coaches at dispossal, making that the top-priority to strengthen for the upcoming season.

View attachment 154566

Alot of new faces was brought into the club with the majority of the coaches coming from Spain making their adaption to the club smoother. Pedro Jaro a Madrid-born goalkeeper whom represented both Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid during his playing-career. He has previous experience from working at Real Madrid and Spain as a goalkeepingcoach, so he'll become a vital part in my staff setup and hopefully he'll be able to bring the best out of our goalkeepers. I have a feeling that we might need them to perform on top this season to reach our objectives. Manchester United legend Paul Scholes was the next arrival at the club. An unproven coach, but with an abundance of experience as a player himself. Technically gifted, something that I'll hope he can transmit to the players. Two fitness coaches leaving the club, meant two fitness coaches arriving at the club. Albert Roca, former fitness coach at Barcelona, and Jose Ramon Callen arrived to fill the vacant positions. I feel satisfied with the changes made and this will give me a higher traininglevel aswell relieve me from some duties.

View attachment 154560

View attachment 154559

Last edited:
View attachment 154541View attachment 154540
Pre-season

View attachment 154539

An seemingly easy pre-season schedule with matches against Marítimo and Getafe to evaluate the capacity of the team. Apart from that I'll be hoping for us to play some good possession football and score some goals in the process. Cause lets be fair, apart from Marítimo and Getafe, our opponents will be quiet weak and hopefully we can take full advantage of that. Coming in with high confidence into the new season is always a positive note.

View attachment 154537 vs Marítimo View attachment 154538

View attachment 154536

Our first match of the pre-season ended with a 1-0 defeat at the hands of Marítimo. As I thought, prior to the game, the portuguese outfit would be one of the better opponents during our pre-season. However I won't be reading to much into this game since it was our first game of the new season and we have a long way to go before we're ready for the start of our La Liga campaign.

View attachment 1048591: Roberto Trashorras - 7,3 rating

View attachment 154537 vs Trofense View attachment 1048600

View attachment 154527

Our second pre-season outing ended with the same scoreline, but thankfully this time in our favour. Trofense didn't provide much of a threat and we created an massive amount of chances but our finishing wasn't quiet there today. Patrick Ebert with the only goal of the game in the first half.

View attachment 1048591: Jozabed - 9,0 rating

View attachment 154519 vs Vallecas View attachment 1048600

View attachment 154523

A friendly match against an amateur neighbourhood team which we have an affiliation with. This match were always going to end with us winning and the 7-0 scoreline made it a bit sweeter. It was great for the lads being home in Vallecas and playing some pre-season football and the majority of the fans in attendance was actually 'Rayitos'. Former Manchester United player, oh boy to they need him now, Bebe was in fine form and netted a first half hattrick.

View attachment 1048591: Bébé - 9,6 rating - View attachment 154522View attachment 154522View attachment 154522

View attachment 154537 vs Segoviana View attachment 1048600

View attachment 154521

We faced yet another of our affiliated clubs and we managed to record another victory and kept a cleansheet in the process. 60% possession and alot of chances created leaves me pleased with the match. Patrick Ebert took his pre-season tally up to 3 and Real Madrid loanee Borja Mayoral netted the third of the game.

View attachment 1048591: Tito - 9,0 rating - View attachment 154520View attachment 154520

View attachment 154534 vs Getafe View attachment 1048610

View attachment 154518

We host our first home match of the season and we welcome fellow La Liga and also Madrid-based team Getafe to Estadio Vallecas. Unfortunately for our fantastic fans the match ends with a scoreless draw. We looked the superior team and managed to create the majority of the chances. We had "control" of the possession until the second half when I made 10 substitutions which clearly affected our performance. I'm pleased with the fact that we keep our fourth clean sheet of the pre-season, something that we'll hope to continue building on.

View attachment 1048591: Tito - 7,6 rating

View attachment 154537 vs Casa Pia View attachment 1048600

View attachment 154517

Our last pre-season fixture ahead of the new campaign as we travel back to Portugal to face Casa Pia. A comfortable 2-0 win, but I had hoped for a larger domination in possession aswell as a couple of more goals. But yet again we manage to keep a clean sheet and thats what we'll take with us into our opening game at home against heavily invested Valencia.

View attachment 1048591: Roberto Trashorras - 7,4 rating - View attachment 154520

View attachment 154516

4 View attachment 1048600 - 1 View attachment 1048610 - 1 View attachment 154538

13 View attachment 154522(scored) - 1 View attachment 154515(conceded) - 5 View attachment 154514(clean sheets)

View attachment 154522: 5 - Bébé
View attachment 154520: 3 - Tito
View attachment 1048591(player of the pre-season/month): Tito

View attachment 154513

View attachment 154512View attachment 154511View attachment 154510

Three first team players suffers injuries during or before our pre-season. Two of our three goalkeepers in Toño and Yoel is sidelined for the entire pre-season. Yoel recovered just in time for our final match against Casa Pia, but I didn't want to risk him getting injured again. Our central defender Ze Castro injured himself prior to our first pre-season match so he managed to make a full recovery come the third match against Vallecas, a match in which he featured.

View attachment 154509

Last edited:
I have a lot of respect for Rayo because of how socially aware they are. Delighted to see a story with them, good luck!

I have a lot of respect for Rayo because of how socially aware they are. Delighted to see a story with them, good luck!

Rayo is a great club, shame that they're pretty unknown for the majority of football fans. Should make for an interesting save anyways, thanks :)

Good luck mate! Any transfers?

Thank you :) Yeah, thought I would do the transfers in the next update.

View attachment 154421View attachment 154420
Transfers
With the club giving me a whopping €0 to work with in the transfermarket, I understood that we were going to have to rely on loans and free-agents if we were to strenghten the squad. Still I was a little bit concerned since we lacked depth in the centre of midfield and there were not that many great options available for us. Players like Angel Correa(Atletico Madrid), Oliver Torres(Atletico Madrid) and Divock Origi(Liverpool) all rejected the possibility of joining us on loan. Which meant I had to drop my expectations a little bit when it came to the quality of the players.

View attachment 154418

View attachment 154397View attachment 154417View attachment 154396

Two players were forced to leave Rayo Vallecano, I decided to tranfserlist both players as they would bring in some funds to work with aswell as the fact that none of them were first team regulars. Former Manchester United legend, well almost, Manucho left for Luzern for €450.000 whilst strikepartner Miku ended up in Bournemouth for €2.5M. Apart from that there were never any real interest in aquiring any of my players, a bit frightening.

View attachment 154408

View attachment 154400View attachment 154407View attachment 154399

Three players joined the club and all of them on loan. I tried to take advantage of the bigger clubs fringe players and youth prospects and this landed me two loan players from Real Madrid. The young striker Borja Mayoral was the first to join and did so on a two-year loan deal. This will mean that his first season is all about developing and hopefully come the start of the second season he can become my main man upfront. Just a day after Mayoral had joined his Real Madrid colleague Marcos Llorente joined aswell. A central midfielder that will provide much needed depth in our midfield. With Marcos Llorente's contract with Real Madrid expiring at the end of the season, I'll be hoping to take full advantage and tie him down on a free-transfer come january. Last player to arrive at Estadio Vallecas was another brilliant young talent but this time from Argentina and Rosario Central. Giovani Lo Celso looks very promising and he will be playing a backup role at the club this season. All in all a good transfer window from my side. We manage to bring in some funds by the sales of Miku and Manucho and add some promising talents and much needed depth. Unfortunately all the transfers made were loan moves, which leaves us exposed at the end of the season.

View attachment 154405

View attachment 154404
View attachment 154403
View attachment 154402
View attachment 154401

Aras Özbiliz was not highly rated by my staff and with overbooking at the wings I decided to cancel his loan from Besiktas, which also meant we freed up some wages. Sergio Akieme is my most promising youth prospect therefore I acted and extended his contract with Rayo Vallecano. Apart from him no player is highly rated and it doesn't look like I will be able to rely on my youth players to strenghten my squad for the foreseeable future.

Another contract extension and this time for Lass Bangoura, out on loan at Ligue 1 club Stade de Reims, which left me absolutely fuming!! My director of football Juan Pedro Navarro offered him the new contract despite knowing my feelings towards the player. A lazy player with an attitude that doesn't fit in at Rayo Vallecano. The only assignment he has is to offer contract extensions to promising youth prospects and at 23, Lass is hardly a promising youth prospect!! Ugh.

[video=youtube;T7P5pwB3Ry8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7P5pwB3Ry8[/video]

Last but not least was the contract extension of rightback Tito, whom clearly had been the player of the pre-season. Everton was sniffing around and showing some interest in aquiring the player. But I acted fast and offered him a new contract making him a key-player in the squad, very much deserved. This will be his seventh season at Vallecas and the passion he's showing for this club is setting an example for the rest of the players, hopefully for Lass Bangoura aswell.

View attachment 154394

View attachment 154388
Squad

View attachment 154383
(Juan Carlos)

View attachment 154378

Three spanish goalkeepers with Juan Carlos being a graduate from our academy. Toño is already 35 years old and wont be seeing any gametime this season, should our other two goalkeepers stay healthy. Yoel is on loan from Valencia and was looking to be getting the nod ahead of Juan Carlos but his unfortunate injury during pre-season has handed Juan Carlos the advantage. Two evenly matched goalkeepers in which I'll have alot of faith in during the season.

View attachment 154382View attachment 154380View attachment 154381View attachment 154379
(Nacho - Antonio Amaya - Diego Llorente - Tito)

View attachment 154377

At least two players to compete for each position which gives us great depth and it will hopefully bring out the most of our players. Starting at leftback we have Nacho making his fourth season for Rayo Vallecano with the experienced Razvan Rat as backup, and more than capable of competing for the starting position. At rightback we have our starplayer Tito on whom expectations are high, hopefully he'll live up to them. Quini and José Angel Crespo, when back from injury, will act as backups with the latter more than capable of playing as a central defender aswell. In the centre of defence we have three evenly matched players in Real Madrid loanee Diego Llorente, not to be confused with Marcos Llorente, and Ze Castro aswell as vice-captain Antonio Amaya. In total this will be Amaya's eight season at Rayo Vallecano, with previous stints at Real Betis and Wigan, and we'll be looking for him to use his experience and guide our defence. Diego Llorente is a very young and good central defender and we'll be hoping that Real Madrid doesn't realize his potential and offer him a new deal. Since his current deal is set to expire come the end of the season. Chechu Dorado is set to be our fourth choice centreback as he isn't quiet at the level of the other three players.

View attachment 154376View attachment 154374View attachment 154375
View attachment 154373View attachment 154372
(Manuel Iturra - Roberto Trashorras - Jozabed - Bébé - Pablo Hernandez)

View attachment 154371

The area in the pitch where we were lacking depth at the start of the season. But the arrivals of Marcos Llorente and Giovani Lo Celso secured that as they will be looking to make a contribution from their backup-roles in the squad. Two evenly matched footballers in Manuel Iturra and Raul Baena goes head-to-head for the starting position as a defensive midfielder, at the moment the chilean Iturra holds the advantage. Ahead of Iturra we find the captain of the team Roberto Trashorras making his fifth season at Vallecas and our starplayer Jozabed. I'm expecting as massive contribution from these two players during the season and it's vital that they stay injury free throughout should we be able to push for a more advanced position in the table. At the wings we look really good covered with Bébé and former Valencia and spanish international Pablo Hernandez starting. Behind them we find elderman Piti playing his eight season for the club aswell as Patrick Ebert, whom looked in fine form during our pre-season, and lastly Adrian Embarba.

View attachment 154363
(Javi Guerra)

View attachment 154362

Our main man upfront will be the 33-year old spaniard Javi Guerra whom will offer us some experience aswell as a proven goalscoring record. Behind him we have newly arrived Real Madrid loanee Borja Mayoral, hoping to get the chance to develop into a world-class striker during his two-year loan spell here at Vallecas.

View attachment 154357

View attachment 154356

I could clearly have hoped for an easier beginning to our La Liga campaign, as we are set to face Champions League-bound Valencia aswell as Celta Vigo, whom will be looking to push for a European spot this season.

View attachment 154355

Last edited:
View attachment 154294
August

View attachment 154288

Only two matches to play in August, but I'm expecting two very difficult matches against two teams eager to push for the European spots this season. We begin with the home encounter against Valencia before we travel to Galicia to face Celta Vigo at Balaídos. I'm hoping that we'll able to ****** three points from the two matches, but would settle for atleast a draw seeing as these are teams that will be battleling for the top-places and not against us in the long run.

View attachment 154292
View attachment 154282 vs Valencia View attachment 1048870

View attachment 154281

WHAT A FANTASTIC WAY TO KICK-OFF THE SEASON! I'm really proud of the boys, even though we will count ourselves a little bit lucky. Couldn't have asked for a better opening of the match with winger Bébé opening the scoring after 5 minutes, after a sublime throughball from Jozabed. 2-0 came just four minutes later in the 9:th minute as Sofiane Feghouli tripped up Pablo Hernandez in the area and the referee pointed at the spot. Up stepped captain Roberto Trashorras and calmly slotted home 2-0. After that the match cooled down and it seemed as we were heading into the halftime break with a 2-0 lead, but no.. A clumsy and totally unnecessary challenge from Antonio Amaya on Pablo Piatti awarded Valencia with a penalty in the 44:th minute. Dani Parejo made no misstakes and it was 2-1. The fourth official signaled 1 minute of added time and just as I was about to head in to the dressing room, Valencia captain Paco Alcacer equalized, 2-2 in the 45:th. Gutted. And yet again it was Antonio Amaya whom decided to chase down an already marked player, leaving Paco Alcacer totally unmarked behind him. A pretty dull second half followed with the teams exchanging a couple of chances. As the final whistle drew closer I ordered all of our players behind the ball in order to defend the point. And suddenly out of nowhere the ball dropped for Bébé whom stormed up the pitch, he picked out Roberto Trashorras just outside the penaltyarea who had a go... 3-2!! The shot took a deflection on the way towards goal and ended up behind a helpless Matthew Ryan in the Valencia goal. GET IN!

View attachment 154272

Not often you see this.

View attachment 1048872: Jozabed - 9,0 rating - View attachment 154280

View attachment 154271 vs Celta Vigo View attachment 1048870

View attachment 154270

Well I wouldn't have expected us to have taken 6 out of 6 possible points against Valencia and Celta Vigo but we sure did. Only 3 shots on target and 2 goals scored, both coming from striker Javi Guerra.

View attachment 1048872: Javi Guerra - 8,8 rating - View attachment 154269View attachment 154269

View attachment 154268

2 View attachment 1048870 - 0 View attachment 1048887 - 0 View attachment 154267

View attachment 154269 - 2 View attachment 154265 - 1 View attachment 154264

View attachment 154269: 2 - Javi Guerra
View attachment 154280: 1 - 4 players
View attachment 1048872: Jozabed

View attachment 154263

View attachment 154262

View attachment 154258

View attachment 154261

Nice start to the season, especially the Valencia win.

But, selling the legend that is Manucho is a brave move only Bendtner is better than him

Nice start to the season, especially the Valencia win.

But, selling the legend that is Manucho is a brave move only Bendtner is better than him

Thought that we screwed it up when dropping a 2-0 lead and had all but settled for the draw, but we got real lucky.

Yeah I know, had mixed emotions about it. Just hoping that it wont come back and haunt me in the end XD I'm hoping that keeping Bebe will make up for selling Manucho.

Last edited:
View attachment 153910
September

View attachment 153909

I'm not quiet sure what to expect from this month, given that we come in to it with a perfect record of 2 wins in 2 games against two very strong teams. Deportivo, Las Palmas and Sporting Gijón have all started the season poorly and we will be looking to take full advantage of that. For the last match of the month we travel to Andalusia to take on Sevilla at Sanchez Pizjuan, a top-4 contender with a strong 4-1 victory against Atletico Madrid in the back.

View attachment 153888

View attachment 153908 vs Deportivo View attachment 1049267

View attachment 153907

Frustration. Javi Guerra opened the scoring in the 19:th minute, assisted by debuting Giovani Lo Celso. Then Alex Bergantiños saw red in the 33:rd minute and I thought that we would take command and kill the game off, but no. Lucas Perez equalized, and that was it. To make matters worse Pablo Hernandez injured himself, but kept playing, just to end up being sidelined for 5 weeks. Tough blow, but a position that we got well covered.

View attachment 1049269: Giovani Lo Celso - 8,2 rating - View attachment 153906

View attachment 153905 vs Las Palmas View attachment 1049267

View attachment 153904

Boring.

View attachment 1049269: Tito - 8,6 rating

View attachment 153908 vs Sporting Gijón View attachment 1049267

View attachment 153903

Well another draw, which means that we are still undefeated.

View attachment 1049269: Jozabed - 7,9 rating

View attachment 153905 vs Sevilla View attachment 1049274

View attachment 153902

This team makes me cry. And not because I'm delighted with the result but mainly because we beat Valencia, Celta Vigo and now Sevilla but somehow manages to drop points against Deportivo, Las Palmas and Sporting Gijón?! Well the stats says it all, we didn't deserve that. But I'll take it anyday of the week. Another own-goal put us ahead early on but Sevilla managed to equalize just 9 minutes later. 1-1 at halftime and a result I would have been glad to taken home with me. But we were in for more. In the 86:th minute a delightful Tito cross reached the head of Bébé and 1-2 was a fact. Jubilation and still unbeaten.

View attachment 1049269: Bébé - 8,0 rating - View attachment 153901

View attachment 153900

1 View attachment 1049274 - 3 View attachment 1049267 - 0 View attachment 153899

View attachment 153901 - 3 View attachment 153898 - 1 View attachment 153897

View attachment 153901: 3 - Javi Guerra & own-goals (lol)
View attachment 153906: 1 - 6 players
View attachment 1049269: Tito

View attachment 153896

The top-2 was expected and Sevilla had a perfect record until their loss against us. But behind them there are some suprises with us and Granada leading the way and an underperforming Athletic Bilbao. Poor Getafe hasn't managed to get a single point in their opening 6 games.

View attachment 153895

Cristiano Ronaldo joint top-scorer with the hitman, of high-flying Granada, David Barral.

View attachment 153894View attachment 153893

View attachment 153892
View attachment 153891

Real Madrid destroys our dreams of securing Marcos Llorente on a free in January.

View attachment 153890

View attachment 153889

Nice win over Sevilla and undefeated after Barcelona is a good achievement

Nice win over Sevilla and undefeated after Barcelona is a good achievement

We've been overachieving against every top opponent, a bit irritated with the draws against the smaller teams, but hey undefeated I'll take that.

Although SI is doing EVERYTHING in their power to just ruin this game for me. 7(!) players has become unhappy with the "lack of first team football" (8 games into the season) and even though I've managed to persuade some of them I'm just so frustrated. I mean BOTH my leftbacks feels like they deserve to play more first team football and that their rotation-role isn't lived up to. Ehrm.. They have started 4 matches each. Idiotic.

Back