Ursulla

Reaction score
I'm not talking about a classick wing back who plays a little bit higher on the field and usually play alone on the wing...
I'm talking about left back/Right Back...
you can play as LB/RB using 4 roles...Limited full back...Full backs...Wingbacks & inverted Wingbacks...Now for a full back and a wing back there are three duties defence/support/attack EACH...
So if have a left midfield/left winger and I see the left back can play better as wingback/support than fullback/support...Is it wrong to play him as wing back support on the position of left back since there is a left midfielder/left winger?...

This one puzzle me...What is the difference between full back support and wing back support...?

Why I see some player with more stars on one of them whereas looking at the the attributes you see the opposite?

For example wing back needs Work rate and Desicions while Full back needs Acceleration and Anticipation...
It is much easier to get better attributes as Wing backs than as Fullbacks generally speaking...So I want to employ him as wingback while in front him there is left midfielder/left winger...
Am I doing something wrong here...?If there is a left midfielder/left winger I must play him as fullbacks?And if the answer is NO how they play differently ?
An expert in Fullbacks and Wingbacks is needed....
progress.gif
clear.gif

I'm not talking about a classick wing back who plays a little bit higher on the field and usually play alone on the wing...
I'm talking about left back/Right Back...
you can play as LB/RB using 4 roles...Limited full back...Full backs...Wingbacks & inverted Wingbacks...Now for a full back and a wing back there are three duties defence/support/attack EACH...
So if have a left midfield/left winger and I see the left back can play better as wingback/support than fullback/support...Is it wrong to play him as wing back support on the position of left back since there is a left midfielder/left winger?...

The Wing back role in the RB/LB is identical to the RWB/RWL roles; with the only exceptions being where they hold their defensive position in relation to the defensive line.

RB/LB - Defensive position is in line with the CBs.
RWB/LWB - Defensive position is in line with Defensive Midfielders.

This one puzzle me...What is the difference between full back support and wing back support...?

Full Back (Support) vs Wing Back (Support)

View attachment 217934

The key here is that he supports forward play. He's not directly involved, he's there to provide extra options and assist the attack.

View attachment 217933

Again, look at the subtle difference in wording. He must fulfill all the attacking and defensive duties of wingers and full backs.

A Wing back is like a sweeper keeper: He's a regular goalkeeper but asked to take on the responsibilities of an additional role; in this case, a sweeper. So a Sweeper keeper is a Goalkeeper and a Sweeper.

A wing back is a full back but asked to take on the responsibilities of the wingers role as well as his full back duties.

Why I see some player with more stars on one of them whereas looking at the the attributes you see the opposite?

This I can't answer without you posting pictures of the player in question. Way too many variables at play to hazard a guess.

So I want to employ him as wingback while in front him there is left midfielder/left winger...
Am I doing something wrong here...?If there is a left midfielder/left winger I must play him as fullbacks?And if the answer is NO how they play differently ?

First off. Wide midfielders and wingers are completely different roles. They answer is very different depending on what you're pairing with what.

Wide Midfielders generally sit deeper and offer supporting runs. I like to thinking of them as CMs on the wing because they work with those around them and play with teamwork in mind.
Wingers try to hug their touch line and width is their sole thought. They try to be individualistic and carve openings for themselves.

Now, there is no reason why you can't play with a Wing back + a Wide midfielder since neither of them are trying to achieve the same task. The Wide midfielders is looking to offer with and support play; the Wing back (also a winger in this instance as explained above) is taking on the wide, hug the touchline, duties so they will not get in each-others way and could offer some really good overlap opportunities.

Having a Wing back + a winger is not wrong, but you have to ask yourself, why would you ask two players to do the same thing on the same side of the pitch. You're asking someone to go out there and be a winger, and you're asking your full back to also be a winger... They'll just get in eachother's way. Now you can compromise on this by having the Winger on an attacking duty and the Wing back on a Defend duty (support will push him too high and interfere with the winger). But I'd ask why you'd do this since it creates a very One dimensional attack down that wide channel. All they have to do is mark your winger out of the game and they've shut down that flank.

It's not wrong, but it's not an effective way of using the roles.

Last edited:
So I have a fullback on attack duty and a left winger on attack duty...He is not a Wing back...Is it ok then to employ both of them on attack duty...
I see opponents using full backs on attack duty coming out of the blue,umarked makes them the most dangerous player on the field and my assistant keeps telling me to always close them down...

So I have a fullback on attack duty and a left winger on attack duty...He is not a Wing back...Is it ok then to employ both of them on attack duty...

lets think about this rationally then and go through it step by step.

your winger is on attack duty and your Full back is on attack duty... what dose that mean for your flank? Where are the players positioned? What will they be doing during transitional phases? Who is covering the space left by the Full Back moving into midfield?

I see opponents using full backs on attack duty coming out of the blue,umarked makes them the most dangerous player on the field and my assistant keeps telling me to always close them down...

What is the question here?

I'm playing 4-2-4 with two wingers...If my left winger having problems with his full back...My attacking full back could help him crossing the ball coming from behind...
The left winger just pass him the ball backwards...cross...header...goal...!

I'm playing 4-2-4 with two wingers...If my left winger having problems with his full back...My attacking full back could help him crossing the ball coming from behind...
The left winger just pass him the ball backwards...cross...header...goal...!
For that you should use FB support, usually Attacking full backs or wing backs try to overlap your wingers everytime, with support they only do so if your winger is either on the inside or holding the ball, exactly for the FB to overlap him.
You should look to use Attacking duties on only a few situations:

1- The FB is the only wide player you have. For example, in a FM12 save I have, my team plays a 4-3-1-2 narrow, 3 CMs, therefore, my FB's roles are WB-A to at least have some crosses in now and then.
2- Your wide players (other than the FB) don't play on the wing. These are the Inside Forward, Raumdeuter (they play where they see fit, usually cutting inside) and Wide Playmaker. They ocasionally go wide but normally they either go inside and create plays, or they run to the box, leaving the flank all clear for the FB to explore.
3- Your wide players aren't fast, good dribblers and crossers. The roles of Wide Midfielder, Advanced Playmaker and Wide Target Man (I personally never found use for this, so I don't know much about this role, other than it sucks :p) are also very good candidates to use attacking FB, as they leave space for your FB to bomb forward, and they normally very much need the support the fullbacks provide while advancing up the field.

Here is an answer I got elsewhere for those who are open minded to explore further...

Q : So I have a fullback on attack duty and a left winger on attack duty...He is not a Wing back...Is it ok then to employ both of them on attack duty...

I see opponents using full backs on attack duty coming out of the blue,umarked makes them

the most dangerous player on the field and my assistant keeps telling me to always close
them down...

A: Yes, if that suits what you want. I do it. Currently I have a Full Back (attack) behind an
Inside Forward (Attack) but I have had him behind a Winger(Attack) when I wanted to exploit
the flanks more. You are right, the marauding fullback can be very dangerous. As I mentioned
above, I have had a few goals from fullbacks cutting into the box unmarked. Of course there
is the risk of leaving your flanks exposed, but everything in tactics is risk Vs reward. If
you have solid centerbacks and a good holding mid or two, it is worth it to me.

Here is an answer I got elsewhere for those who are open minded to explore further...

Q : So I have a fullback on attack duty and a left winger on attack duty...He is not a Wing back...Is it ok then to employ both of them on attack duty...

I see opponents using full backs on attack duty coming out of the blue,umarked makes them

the most dangerous player on the field and my assistant keeps telling me to always close
them down...

A: Yes, if that suits what you want. I do it. Currently I have a Full Back (attack) behind an
Inside Forward (Attack) but I have had him behind a Winger(Attack) when I wanted to exploit
the flanks more. You are right, the marauding fullback can be very dangerous. As I mentioned
above, I have had a few goals from fullbacks cutting into the box unmarked. Of course there
is the risk of leaving your flanks exposed, but everything in tactics is risk Vs reward. If
you have solid centerbacks and a good holding mid or two, it is worth it to me.
Yes, it always depends on your options, football is a dynamic game, and so should be your tactics, if the other team has weak flanks, you absolutely should take advantage of that, having both FB supporting the attack with attacking roles, leaving the midfielders to hold out any counter-attack, conversely if the other team is weaker at the middle of the park, dish out the holding midfielders for CM-A or BBM, leaving the FB to stay back and defend. It depends on your judgement of the other team tactics and your own faults.