Gap between midfield and forwards too large?

Greg W

Reaction score
First up, very new player to both the game and the franchise, so I am learning a lot as I go (so go easy please). Tried the search function and it didn't come up with much.

Picked Blackburn for my first season and have adopted a 4-4-2 formation. Basically, trying to play to their strengths (as I see them anyway, lol) have one midfielder mostly attacking (Dunn/Andrews) and one defensive (Tugay/Grella), both sides of midfield set to a winger style mentality, forwards set to forwardy styles...

Now, my assistant is telling me that there's too big a gap between my midfield and forwards. I was kinda hoping that playing one midfielder in a more attacking mentality would take care of this, but apparently not. In my one and a half trial games to date, we're doing very well. So well that Metz only got off a single shot in the entire first game.

Anyways, on to the question. Why is this gap there? Something to do with closing down, forward runs, mentality, a mix of all of the above, or something else entirely? Never had this problem before in a few other attempts to play the game and it's got me stumped a bit. Any help much appreciated.

ignore your assistant when he says stuff like that, it don't make much of a difference really, as long as your team is winning then it should be fine

Individual mentality's,your forwards and midfieilders need to be closer together in their mentality's.Have you read the TT&F guide?

Ah, thank you very much for that. I shall indeed have a good read.

id lower one of my strikers a couple of clicks that should sort it

Oh my. After a quick read of the first bit of the guide, I had a look at my settings for mentality...

13 16
7 5 13 11
6 5 5 6

Odd thing was that the gap was really between the two portions of my midfield. And the fact that it actually worked. I guess just because Emerton is so fit that playing (with 11) so far ahead of his defence and the more defensive midfielders, he could cope. Well, against weaker warm up teams anyways, I think I would have been found out once the season proper started. oO)

Methinks some tweaking needs to be done after that initial read anyway. As well as a lot more reading to see what else I am doing wrong. :p