Gary Parkinson to be handed scouting role despite debilitating condition

• Thread starter Thread starter ajt09
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 2
  • Views Views 577

ajt09

Nice Guy Gramps
Reaction score
I've literally just seen on the local news in Newcastle, that former Middlesborough defender Gary Parkinson is to be given a scouting role by the club, even though he is suffering from the debilitating illness "locked-in syndrome".

Parkinson who is 43, who played for Boro between 1986 and 1993, had been Blackpool's head of youth, until tragically he suffered a severe stroke in September 2010, leaving him totally paralysed. Despite this, his mind is still active and he is now helping the Boro manager, Tony Mowbray, scout players by watching DVDs and then rating them by blinking to his wife Deborah – which is the only way he can communicate.

"Tony and his coaching staff, like Mark Proctor and Stephen Pears, have been fantastic for Gary," Deborah told the Northern Echo. "When Tony first came to see Gary, he could see Gary was still aware of everything that was going on around him, so he asked Gary if he wanted to do some scouting for him. A DVD comes down to us, with a sheet of paper. There is a description of the player, his name, his age, his position and the clubs he has played for. Gary still loves his football, knows all about youth football from his time as the youth coach at Blackpool, and you can see he picks up when he is doing it. I have done it with him and so has my son, Luke."

Mowbray, who wrote in the match day programme on Saturday: "We were determined to give Gary a role, where he could feel involved. Not only that, I genuinely value his opinions about the game. We let him have a look at some of the players who come to our attention and it gives Gary something to concentrate on. Long after he ceases to be headline news, we will still be there for him."

When everything is looking bleak football wise with corruption, players not caring about their clubs, scandals etc etc, it's this sort of story that always puts a smile on my face. Proper heart warming stuff. Wish nothing but for the best for Gary for the future.

''Long after he ceases to be headline news, we will still be there for him."

Mowbray really represents the football club extremely well, just like on Saturday at the Riverside a minutes silence was held and black armbands were worn for Brad Jones' son Luca, who sadly passed away from Leukaemia, at the weekend. For people unfamiliar with the history of Middlesbrough the Parkinson/Mowbray era is probably the most revered era of the football club. You hear a lot from fans about 'the spirit of '86' when Gibson and those young local players rescued the club and essentially everything since is owed to them.

Immensely proud of the football club to give him a role, he's probably going to be twice as good as the jokers Boro currently employ as scouts like Steve Staunton. Shows the club is going in the right direction, Mowbray made a strong statement 2 days ago in an interview saying Middlesbrough didn't need to sell any more and money was now available. Couldn't wish for a better manager, he's the Dalglish of Middlesbrough FC... Unsackable.

I like Mowbray a lot. I remember the 86 era well, and seeing the highlights on the news reminded me just how good they really were. My opinion of the club and Mowbary has increased immensly after this. Deserve a **** of a lot of credit for looking after him, and more importantly keeping him occupied. That sort of thing in some cases speeds up a recovery because of the positive motivation.

Back