mattybagguley

Reaction score
Hoping to get some general help;

I'm new to fm2017 having not played it since 2008 but through various reading online feel I have an ok grip on formations / player roles etc.

Started unemployed for a challenge and got offered the TNS job in Wales which I thought would be a good way to cut my teeth. 1st year I did the league and cup double through a variety of big wins and some close fought, yet shot heavy, wins for myself.

In Europe i've played a 4-1-4-1 counter / structured system which seems to work very well and in our 2nd season we got the CL playoff round before eventually falling into the Europa league where I anticipate us struggling but being competitive. The main issue I have is in the league, in most if not all games we are the odds on 5/6-1 on favourite for a win and dominate proceedings with shots etc.

We play either 4-3-3 narrow with attacking full backs or a 4-1-4-1 formation with a view that we try and dominate the middle and attack down the flanks. Both work to a point, with a mix between attacking / counter / control mentality - I suppose my question is what is the best way to consistently breakdown teams where they set out the stall to defend and counter? Am I best sending out players to attack wide, or flood the middle? Is it best playing with a high tempo or a low keep ball tempo? With my players not being the best I am unsure loading them full of team instrcutions would have much benefit at all.

Just some general ideas as to what you do when you are a heavy favourite would be appreciated (just tried to give you some back up info to explain my problem)

I try to hit teams on the counter attack if they are parking the bus. This may sound stupid, but I try to 'open up' their defense by first going defensive myself and encouraging the opposition to attack me. Then I hit them on the counter. This way is not that effective, since opposition teams rarely attack, but it might be worth a try if nothing else works.