Geordie Shore. A Tale of One Man's Dream.

• Thread starter Thread starter DYYZERZ
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 0
  • Views Views 1K

DYYZERZ

Reaction score
Geordie Shore:

A Tale Of One Man’s Dream.

Prologue

As I looked up at the mass of concrete, steel and iron above me for the first time, I knew it was more than just that. I felt the passion and heart, the belief and soul pouring out from the massive structure. Its name was St James’ Park, and I was already hooked.

I still think of this day often, and it shot into my head once again as I drank my tea while watching a horrific piece of news unfold on SkySportsNews.

Alan Pardew in critical condition following a 3 car crash in Newcastle.

My jaw dropped, along with the 'Best Son' mug my mother bought me for my 35th birthday. “Pardew is in a very unstable state at the moment and will be unable to continue on as Newcastle United manager. Our thoughts go out to Alan, his family and everybody associated with Newcastle on this dreadful day in football.” The words used to describe what had happened in the early hours of this morning couldn’t explain how I felt.

As a child I grew up in a small Irish village during the 80’s i.e I had nothing to do or no-one to play with. I spent my days reading or drawing pictures of the river. My Dad left us when I was 2 years old but we lived a happy life. One day, two weeks before my 15th birthday, my Mum said I had to go live with my Dad in England. No amount of complaining, arguing or crying would change her mind. I couldn’t even get an explanation.

My feelings towards my Dad were cold to say the least, but in order to try and get along, I agreed to go to some ‘stupid’ football match. “Football is everything here in Newcastle. You’re gonna have to get used to that son. It's not that bad, you might even enjoy it! Keegan's got the boys playing some attractive stuff aswell!" The only thing that's supposed to be attractive is women was my view.

I can’t remember the game. All I remember is loving Newcastle from that day on. I wanted to be a part of the club. Playing was out of the question, but coaching was certainly not.

As the searing pain of hot tea soaking through my jeans dawned on me I realised I had been sitting there a stranger to the outside world. The news came back on after the ad break and they were showing the ‘front runners’ for the job. Rafa Benitez was the favourite, at 4/1, but at the bottom of the list, below McLeish, Martinez and Shearer I saw a familiar name, Dylan Mangan. “Surely this is a mistake,” I said to my cat, Muffin. Me, the Newcastle manager? Fat chance! “I’m only managing in League 1.” Yeah my Gillingham side had just missed out on promotion to the Championship against the odds last season but League 1 and the Premiership are two very different things....

Back