Geordies 4-3-3 formation || Tiki Taka style ||

Reaction score
Welcome guys to my first upload to FM-base, I hope you enjoy it. I am sure I am not the only one who really wants to achieve that dominating possession football which Barcelona use and aim to achieve their amazing passing figures. Well dream no more as I believe I have cracked that formation to the best we can possibly achieve on Fm.

Now before we begin I should give you the background of the team I used to test this for uploading purposes. Viktoria Plzen are a club in the Czech Republic and although they are a good team in their country, they do not pose a threat to Europe. I found this team perfect because I got a chance to see my tactic against weaker, stronger and much stronger sides. Their quality is very lacking especially in the attacking department which means although I dominated bigger opponents they able to block my attacks much easier as you will see.

View attachment 237434

THE PLAYERS

Goalkeeper
Nothing special here. Your typical Victor Valdes character. Needs to dominate his box and be able to make snappy decisions in the event of a 1 on 1. Not much I can say other than get a good goalkeeper.

Defenders
Two quick wing backs are helpful with this as they will join the attack a lot. Picture a Glen Johnson character or Ashley Cole. Not only good at tracking back to defend but can make a run up the pitch and cross the ball into the box. Your wing backs will be where most of your crosses will come from so make sure they have good crossing stats as well as speed and dribbling to aid them in runs. Tall defenders are a must. Look at Barcelona with Gerard Pique, the man is huge. They will help in both defending and attacking corners more than anything so make sure they have good heading stats.

MidfieldersFirstly the big defensive midfielder. Must be able to pass the ball around the park and defend. He is your first line of getting the ball back, if he is effective your defenders could take a break. Picture a Cheik Tiote character, on his day the man will dominate the defensive duties of midfield, winning the ball back in the middle of the pitch. That is the kind of player you want, a big tank but also a guy who can move with the ball. The central midfielders are your Iniesta and your Xavi. Passing is their game, these are your architects for the game. They manipulate the game more than anyone on the pitch. The ability to pass the ball is essential as is great vision and creativity.

Wingers
Fast , agile and the ability to score. David Villa and Alexis Sanchez pop up a lot for Barcelona because they play an inside forward role more than a winger. These are the kinds of characters you want in these positions, players who can cut in and get on their strong foot. Picture Hatem Ben arfa or David Villa for this one. They make their run down the wing then cut in to be on their stronger foot, that is my recommendation for this one.

Striker

For this one we need technique more than height and strength. Look at Lionel Messi he is 5'6 yet is scoring for fun. You need a player with pace who can be quick to run onto the ball. Crosses will be rare so heading isn't essential although will help. More than anything they need to have control on the ball and the ability to finish with a deftly touch. Remember technique will win you goals with this position.

Having high passing and vision stats it a huge help in this tactic. You need these too be able to find the passes and make them, low passing stats will cause this tactic to fail as you continue to lose possession. Flair will help you out as well as your players can find their way out of tight situations whilst retaining the ball.

VIKTORIA PLZEN V GENK

(The possession figures)
View attachment 237435

(Genk's passing figures)
View attachment 237436

(Viktoria Plzen's passing figures)
View attachment 237437

Notice how many passes I attempted and completed in comparison to Genk. Although they were stronger I managed to see just short of 700 passes attempted and just under 600 were compeleted.

TOTTENHAM V VIKTORIA PLZEN

(Home Leg)
View attachment 237438

(Away Leg)
View attachment 237439

Once again Tottenham were always going to win this match based on the sheer quality but notice how even at White Hart lane I still did not drop below 50% possession.

VIKTORIA PLZEN V OTROCOVICE

(The possession Figures)
View attachment 237440

(Otrocovice's passing figures)
View attachment 237441

(Viktoria Plzen's passing figures)
View attachment 237442
Finally a display of how good my team is when they are winning. This is how your team would succeed when you successfully deploy the right players. I managed to break the side down to the point of smashing 6 goals past them.

LATEST VERSION

View attachment 237997View attachment 237998

This is version 3.0 of this tactic. As you can see I achieved a 80+% possession and succeeded in making 650 successful passes. This is the kind of figures I have been hoping to hit so that I can call this tactic successfully done.

CONCLUSION

View attachment 237999
I know some of you will be put off by the fact I failed to win all of these games but no tactic on earth could have seen me beat Tottenham and Genk were always the side with more quality. This team lacked attacking options but even against Tottenham I managed to break them down at some point and find a goal. I can guarantee that with the right players in the right positions you will dominate and win the majority of your matches.

Truth be told even Barcelona do not win 100% of their matches, what I have shown is that against any opposition I can find a way to dominate the possession, and that is the first step to winning. Please download and enjoy!

Download Link

version 1.0-
http://www.mediafire.com/?77ji4e4e9aq1ie7

version 2.0-
http://www.mediafire.com/?77ji4e4e9aq1ie7

Version 3.0-
http://www.mediafire.com/?m1ckqvcw5u17cou

Last edited:
thank you very much, but how about the player requirment of each position~~~?

ah of course sorry, I never really thought about posting that. I shall think over it and post my recommendations. The general census is Barcelona style of players. Vision and passing are too essential stats for this to work especially in the midfield

updated now with the players and my recommendations. Would love to see some screenshots of how people get on with this tactic for feedback reasons

hey bud, welcome to Fm-base ;)

just looking at the two results you posted, your passing is not really Barca esque to be honest mate, the passing is extremely direct and barely gets over the halfway line where most of Barca's play takes place :) there is barely anything around the box, it looks more like a winger type tactic..

the away was clearly against a really week side, but still nice possession, the home game (there was a red card) had 3 shots on target, Tottenham are good however, for a home game more is needed...

Against Genk looks decent, pity you lost mate! only 3 key passes as well... 1:1

this looks like a very good step towards perfecting a good possession tactic, it takes a long time to get one exactly right, trust me ;)

if you would like any other tips, feel free to take a read through here :)

have a good day.

(please be aware that this is purely constructive, I am in no way slating your tactic, just trying to offer my help)

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...ic-discussion-creation-centre-hints-tips.html

thanks for the feedback, i did test this with barcelona and had much more successful results. This viktoria Plzen team though possess the attacking ability of swansea :( Their ability to attack is really bad and they tend to be hugely wasteful apart from in that 6-0 match.

I see what you mean by it takes a while to perfect it, I am still tweaking stuff every game to get that fine blend between controlled patient build up but actually making killer passes. Perhaps switching my width to narrow rather than wide might be a step forward as I'm not looking for much on the wings

View attachment 237526
View attachment 237527

after reading through raikan's thread I made some tweaks based on it and this is the results of my latest version (yes this is a working progress). I took on a strong top 4 team and made a good 3-0 win. My attacking was the best I have seen all season and definitely I have fixed that issue. My new issue is although i made 334 passes and held the majority of possession, I don't feel the passing is at Barcelona level. More testing will be done, new link posted for this version and the old

Seems to be a good tatic. Can you post league table results? I like to see how manu gaols you do and conceed.

View attachment 237996
that is the league table. Will post it to the OP as well. There is a newer version of it which i used in my final 10 games. In one of the games i managed 650 completed passes. Will have to update the OP with all this

View attachment 237996
that is the league table. Will post it to the OP as well. There is a newer version of it which i used in my final 10 games. In one of the games i managed 650 completed passes. Will have to update the OP with all this

I see that you have the 2nd best attack... Can i assume that this tatic is just for passing, not for goals?

well i've spent a lot of time going over it and trying to perfect it but the idea is to be able to shut teams out and more importantly get goals whilst not conceding. It's a defensive but attacking formation where your aim is not to concede and just wait for that moment.

I am trying to perfect it though because in terms of goals it can get a little frustrating when i'm smashing a team but the ball isn't going in. That could just be down to a low quality of striker though :(

Back