Giggs hints at Man Utd retirement

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 19
  • Views Views 1K

BBC Sport

BBC Sport News Headlines
Reaction score
Manchester United's Ryan Giggs has hinted that he could retire at the end of the season.

More...

good. Hes been ***** for at least 18 months

yup, no place for him in a top side anymore

good. Hes been ***** for at least 18 months

He wasn't that bad last season, wasn't a top performer. I think its evident he can't do it at the top anymore this season, although that hasn't been helped by Fergie playing him games where he can't match the pace e.g. Everton away etc. In a free role he can still do a job against weaker teams at OT, but thats it really. Hopefully we can win something this season and he can retire as one of the biggest legends the game has ever seen. It will be a shame when he does but the time is right.

Biggest legend this game has ever seen? Yeah, right.

On a side note, I was walking to uni one morning a while back and it had a newspaper headline outside by cloughie I think, or some Man Utd great and it read: "I'd rather have Giggs in my team than Ronaldo". I lol'd to myself.

Brian? hes dead

Id rather have Giggs at his peak than Ronaldo tbh. Look at how off the boil Ronaldos went becase there was some interest in him, Giggs would never do that.

Saying Giggs is ***** is a bit harsh, more said it to balance out Man U fans who still think hes good (although i think their coming round to the fact that like Neville that hes past his best) Liek you said Giggs is useful for home league games against non top 6 teams

Biggest legend this game has ever seen? Yeah, right.

One of the biggest I said. Read correctly. Anyone who disagrees with that is a bit of a moron, United fan or hater. Just look at the article:

Giggs is British football's most decorated player and his 28 winners medals include two Champions League victories, a record 10 Premier League championships and four FA Cup wins.

The 64-times Wales international, who broke Sir Bobby Charlton's United appearance record when appearing as a substitute in the Champions League final in May, has played 781 times for the Old Trafford club.

Giggs is the only United player to have played in all 10 title-winning teams, the only player to have scored in 12 consecutive Champions League tournaments and the only player to have scored in every Premier League campaign since its inception.
--
I suppose the most successful footballer in the history of British football, or the guy who has appeared more than anyone for the second-most decorated club in English football can't be considered a legend. God knows what I was thinking.

Keep your pants on Andy. He's one of the greats but I don't reckon he's anywhere near the top. How many medals he's won doesn't really mean he's a better player than the others tbf.

I dunno who it was Gregor I can just remember reading the headline on the stand.

Giggs is a brilliant player. I would in fact rather have him on the team than Ronaldo. He might not be that fast anymore but the reason he's been so successful at united is that he's changed his style of play. He's a great wise player on the field now. United wouldn't be complete without him and anyone who thinks otherwise is a ******* glory hunter. Well guess what, football is about more than flair and pace.

Giggs is a brilliant player. I would in fact rather have him on the team than Ronaldo. He might not be that fast anymore but the reason he's been so successful at united is that he's changed his style of play. He's a great wise player on the field now. United wouldn't be complete without him and anyone who thinks otherwise is a ******* glory hunter. Well guess what, football is about more than flair and pace.

It is somewhat important when you are a winger though!

Its not like hes Paul Scholes sitting in the middle of the park spreying passes around

Well Ad medals doesn't always matter but when you've won and done as much as he has, that says something about the class and stature of the player to have been able to do it for so long; as well as being able to remain key to a team that has vastly changed over the years.

United over the past 15 years wouldn't have been complete without him, but now the team is better without him in it, at least when it comes to the big games. It's a shame to say that but its true, and has been for over a season. But I probably would have taken the Giggs of the 1990s in a team ahead of Ronaldo-possibly :P

Well he even showed he can do it against a top four team as well today, couldnt believe it when he was in the first XI.Although on that performance, Chelsea hardly looked a top four side :P

ooo not sure, although I would have given that to Vidic or Evans

Haha he proved most people in this topic wrong. Wish he would of played for England though would of well and truly solved are left hand side problem. Quality player.

Haha he proved most people in this topic wrong. Wish he would of played for England though would of well and truly solved are left hand side problem. Quality player.

Yup, same thing he's been doing his whole career.

There's some crazy stuff being said in this discussion; Giggs being rubbish for 18 months being one of them.

He was instrumental in United winning the double last season, scoring the winning goal to clinch the Premier League and the winning penalty in the Champions League final just to think of two examples off the top of my head.

He couldn't have played for England, mind you, he's Welsh and was only eligible for England schoolboys because he went to school in England, not because he was in any way English.

I still say im right,

Giggs is useful but hes not great, he wouldnt be in the strongest team but obviously hes good to have in your squad. Was surprised he could still do it in a big game though after seeing him v Celtic where he was **** (although he did score a lucky goal, **** Boruc)

I still say im right,

Giggs is useful but hes not great, he wouldnt be in the strongest team but obviously hes good to have in your squad. Was surprised he could still do it in a big game though after seeing him v Celtic where he was **** (although he did score a lucky goal, **** Boruc)

He's long past his prime, but Giggs' prime was so ridiculously high that even a below-par Giggs is much more useful than say, a Richardson or a Pennant.

I must admit I wasn't expecting him to have such an effect against Chelsea as he ultimately did, but I'm glad that a player as talented as him can adapt like that. His days on the wing are gone, but Giggsy the instrumental playmaker is here to stay (for another year perhaps).

Giggs has had some bad games this season, but then United haven't been firing on all cylinders as a whole, I wouldn't single him out for any dropped points this season.

As they say, form is temporary but class is permament. Giggs has been nothing but class for Man Utd since he made his deubt. He is truly a world-class player. The fact that he had such an effect vs Chelsea shows just how good he is, even if he is 34 (I think, or is it 35?).

Back