Reaction score
View attachment 183221

It's early in the season and have drawn my first three games (Hertha, Monaco and Dortmund)which isn't the problem. The problem is that i'm trying to emulate the Ballack/Lampard role into my team, however so far there are has been no success. Any tips on how I could try and achieve this?
View attachment 183220His attributes and preferred moves seem to fit the role.

His attributes and preferred moves seem to fit the role.
That may be true, but your tactic needs to suit him/the role too. How are you going to create chances for him?

From what I can see, you're working the ball forward very quickly. You're playing wide so the wingers will get the ball quickly and get in an early cross for a forward that has dropped deeper and a CM/A who isn't there yet. Is this what's happening?

Yes, I want lots of crosses being put into the box due to his Aerial threat.

The thinking behind the striker dropping deeper was to try and pull the CB out of position for the cm to exploit

but yes is seems like there is no one in the area because we don't have many shots.

Yes, I want lots of crosses being put into the box due to his Aerial threat.

The thinking behind the striker dropping deeper was to try and pull the CB out of position for the cm to exploit

but yes is seems like there is no one in the area because we don't have many shots.
So the challenge is then to either get players into the box sooner or delay your crosses until you have players to aim for.

So the challenge is then to either get players into the box sooner or delay your crosses until you have players to aim for.
so how would delay the crosses but still make sure their frequent

So the suggestion seems to get the player scoring more goals.

however my tactic has now become really inconsistent
View attachment 182820View attachment 182819

Ive put the Wings backs on a defend duty instead of support because they always seemed to be out of position. This has kind of helped, but still get caught out alot. Also the forward isn't involved much in the play, but i think this is due to exploiting the flanks. Hard finding balance between attack and defence.

View attachment 1017591View attachment 1017592

Ive put the Wings backs on a defend duty instead of support because they always seemed to be out of position. This has kind of helped, but still get caught out alot. Also the forward isn't involved much in the play, but i think this is due to exploiting the flanks. Hard finding balance between attack and defence.
You're focusing on the flanks, so there's not too much need for him to.

Why do you have a half back in the team?

Are you now achieving the goal of getting the CM/A into the box when the crosses come in?

Yes all of his goals have come from some sort of cross into the area, he is actually the top scorer.

Why do you have a half back in the team?

The thinking behind the half back was to cover defensively for the wing backs by making a three man defence when the opposition had the ball and they were out of position. But then make up numbers in middle as an option in attack

The thinking behind the half back was to cover defensively for the wing backs by making a three man defence when the opposition had the ball and they were out of position. But then make up numbers in middle as an option in attack
But a half back doesn't do that? He drops between the DCs in possession, not while defending. He's on your screen as a DM, so he'll defend as a DM. Are you watching games at all?

Btw, he can cover for a wingback, but neither of yours are instructed to move up field much.

Last edited:
But a half back doesn't do that?
the game description states they are an aggressive sweeper, which to me would mean they cover the centre backs but push out when they have the ball ?

I'm still tweaking the wing backs, thinking of making them Fullbacks attack, so they get further forward whilst also remembering their defensive duties

the game description states they are an aggressive sweeper, which to me would mean they cover the centre backs but push out when they have the ball
But surely you look in a match to see if players are doing what you want them to?

But surely you look in a match to see if players are doing what you want them to?

From what I can see the half back drops into the penalty area when the opposition are close to my box.

From what I can see the half back drops into the penalty area when the opposition are close to my box.
If you're that deep, then of course he will. Normally, he defends at DM and is a 3rd DC when you have possession. That's the whole point of a half back and what the team you're trying to imitate did.

I never saw the half back as the problem, I feel that the full backs leave the flanks exposed.

I never saw the half back as the problem, I feel that the full backs leave the flanks exposed.
I didn't say it was one. I asked why you're using a half back. The point of one is to keep possession better by spreading the back 3 and also releasing the fullbacks.

In your case they are on Defend duties, which defeats the purpose and also doesn't follow what Leverkusen did.