Goalkeeper

• Thread starter Thread starter tommyd150
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 17
  • Views Views 4K

tommyd150

Reaction score
Looking for a goalkeeper for Hull City 1st season id rather buy a new GK and use Allan Mcgregor as back up and sell Steve Harper.

Budget £2m and wages under £30k....P.S I dont want Khune.

Try scouting Fernando Pacheco from Real Madrid Castilla.
He has all around stats for a low-mid Premier League squad, he has plenty of room to grow (he's 22 years old after all) and shouldn't be too expensive since his contract ends at the end of the first season (1,5 to 2 million €* you should be able to get him if you're not willing to wait one year)

*£1,18M to £1,64M

Its not going to be too easy to get a keeper who is a clear upgrade over McGregor for that amount. You can find some decent keepers who are bargains, but most will be on a similar level. The young ones you can snap up might have potential to be better - some significantly better - but they aren't to start with. McGregor isn't bad - I just half a season with Hull and he performed reasonably well.

In addition to Pacheco noted above, there are about a half dozen solid young keepers in Spain with some amount of potential. You can find most of them in the U21 and U19 national teams. There is some randomness to their start stats, so they might not always be that useful. Some wont' come to Hull because, well, its Hull.

Sondre Rossbach is a decent shout. He joined me at Hull in a save, and only costs a touch over 1m. Had to offer him rotation as he will go to somewhere like Everton or Atletico Madrid if you just offer him Hot Prospect team status. Might not be ready to supplant McGregor from day one, but he improves quickly.

Rossbach's teammate, Andre Hahn might be one of your best bets. I almost went after him. He should be a slight upgrade over McGregor. Not sure how much Molde will want for him, but you can sign him on a free for December, though it likely means giving First Team status. You can then try to buy him out to have him come early, although it seems random as to when the other club will let that happen and when they won't.

Maybe i should just keep McGregor for a season then.

Probably your best bet. If anything, target one of the younger keepers and give them a few matches here and there. After considering buying a clear upgrade (lack of money, wage room, and club reputation made that pretty much a no go), I ended up signing Rossbach in my save. I had him on a previous Vitesse save, where he started out a clear step below my starter and ended up on level with my #1 after one season. You can also watch for high quality regens, as you can find players at Prem-quality by 17 or 18 years old.

Its really hard to find a clear upgrade from McGregor without having more money, wages, and reputation to play with. And McGregor isn't likely to be the weakest spot on your squad.

Where else do you think i should improve the squad?

It really depends on what you want to do tactically, etc.

Playing a 4-3-3 (or 4-1-2-2-1 if you prefer), I targeted the right side of the squad. Particularly rightback. I signed Pavel Kaderabek, who is an excellent attacking rightback (though a bit limited defensively) and my primary "big" addition to the squad. Expected him to be my only signing that would start immediately. I wanted to sign a developmental right winger but whiffed on my targets for that. Ben Arfa is adequate but just on loan, plus I dislike his mentals and attitude. Turns out that Sagbo and Snodgrass are solid there, so more than covered. I also wanted a more creative central mid, as the current crop are solid but more all-around talents. Whiffed there as well, as I landed three developmental players instead of an immediate starter - Simon Gustafsson, Lewis Macleod, and Humam Tariq, with the latter needing a Work Permit. I focused on youth & depth rather than more immediately starters - the money can only stretch so far. I wasn't intending to, but sold James Chester to Souhamton and got Eder Alvarez Balanta as a replacement, with money left over for a couple of defensive depth players.

Outside of righback, there isn't any overriding immediate need positions. And even at RB, Elmohamady likely performs to an adequate level. Its an aspect that makes Hull an interesting save, because there really aren't any "untouchable" players in the squad. The closest are probably Abel Hernandez and Andy Robertson, and both will develop if you give them matches. Ince might as well. Most of the squad is similar to McGregor - adequate, decent, not an outright weakness, but yet replaceable if you can afford to. Having some money (and success, which is also key to getting money lol) will allow you to reshape the squad quite a bit.

So far ive solf Sago for £3.5m Alex Bruce for £625k brought in 2 young AMC players on frees, I want to try keep to ball because i think i want to utilise Tom Huddlestone.

Targets- David Pavelka CM, Gino Perruzi RB-(If Elmohamady leaves) I may try sign Suso on loan for cover because Ince is out on loan at Notts Forrest. Im also trying to sign Denis Straqualursi on a free for cover.

So far ive solf Sago for £3.5m Alex Bruce for £625k brought in 2 young AMC players on frees, I want to try keep to ball because i think i want to utilise Tom Huddlestone.

Targets- David Pavelka CM, Gino Perruzi RB-(If Elmohamady leaves) I may try sign Suso on loan for cover because Ince is out on loan at Notts Forrest. Im also trying to sign Denis Straqualursi on a free for cover.

Huddlestone is a neat player. Never really paid him much mind when he was with Tottenham. Played quite well in the save for me.

It seems that clubs will come in for some of your fringe players on most Hull saves. Figueroa, Rosenior, and Elmohamady always seem to get bids. Its a quick way to raise a bit of spending money. Does leave a bit of depth concerns, but there are quite a few versatile players so...

Peruzzi will be a fantastic buy. He will be an upgrade over Elmohamady and can turn into one of the better-performing RBs in the league. Similar to Kaderabek, but a bit more solid defensively.

Pavelka is a guy I've looked at but never signed. Going by memory, but I think the scouts tend to tell me he doesn't have a ton of room to improve. Certainly looks solid, but he isn't an overt improvement over the guys you already have at central mid, and since you have several players with higher squad statues there, you can end up with players moaning over playing time. That was part of why I ended up going with developmental depth players. Also worth nothing - Jake Livermore actually performed rather well for me, and was getting a few England caps.

Im a huge fan of Huddlestone IRL main reason i picked Hull, Dont listen to your scouts all the time Pavelka is a beast of a B2B or even BWM/Anchor Man.

Im a huge fan of Huddlestone IRL main reason i picked Hull, Dont listen to your scouts all the time Pavelka is a beast of a B2B or even BWM/Anchor Man.

I don't trust my scouts too far, but I do look for comments like the potential, injury proneness, big matches, etc. A good scout is usually pretty solid on that stuff, especially if a player is scouted multiple times. I've seen teh same comment about his potential a couple of times. Which isn't a problem if they are pretty good to begin with. Pavelka looks it, and given some comments I've seen about him, I have no doubt he's capable of delivering. He was one of a number of CMs I looked at when targeting a more attacking CM. Would hehdl me off on him - and many others, TBF - was that he was only going to be a marginal upgrade over what the club already has in Diame and Livermore. I've done that too many times in the past where I've gone for a player who is a tiny bit better, at least in terms of certain skills, but the side can end up losing out on other aspects, personality, leadership, or even just cohesion. So I try to be careful in my buys.

That said, it kinda all goes out the window when its a personal favorite. Someone you've had in other saves and you know how they delvier.... they are just too tempting. Pretty much exactly why I ended up getting Kaderabek.

Seeing as this is a thread for Hull (and there ain't many!!) I thought I might as well join in...

Firstly, I wouldn't sell nor replace McGregor first season as, at least for me, has kept me in many games... but he is getting on.

Bigpapa42, how did you get on with Hull? I'm in my first season (at the end of January) and currently sit 10th, about 20 points off relegation and about 6 points off 8th place, so nice and comfortable. I'm also through to the knockouts of the Europa league so hopefully I can progress further.

Regarding my transfers, I immediately terminated Ben Arfa's loan as I hate his attitude and I sold (is it Sako? Sagbo? A striker anyway) to Burley for £3m and bought Tielmans, Tariq, Mastour and loaned Donis Avdijaj for cover up top.

I alternate between a 4-1-2-2-1 (basically a 4-3-3 with a DM) and a 4-2-3-1 and am doing pretty well but the board are giving me NO money!! Dont know how much you two got...

Figeuroa and Dawson have been rocks, so has Livermore but Sone Aluko has been my star man. Do Not Sell Him. I either play him on the wing with Ince or on top on his own and he is a counter attacking menace!!! Top scorer now behind Hernandez who got a long injury.

Let us know how you're getting on as my first season with Hull so far has been one of my most enjoyable ever on an FM game and I'm only in the first season. Despite little money and limited success it feels very challenging but rewarding (especially compared to IRL ATM) at the same time so anyone else reading, I highly recommend.

I made it to the October international break and was sitting in first. A bit deceptive. We had played only Tottenham and Newcastle amongst the bigger clubs, whereas the bigger clubs had played at least one game against each other and that affected their points total. I had no expectation to keep that spot for too long. It was really just a test save that I didn't intend to have go beyond a few weeks into the season but was enjoying. Won't go further with it. But I am considering starting another save with them.

Wait till the end of the season and you can get Nicola leali for free and he's ace, although you need to train him on his positioning

Itumeleng Khune, can easily be had inside your £2m budget.

Wait till the end of the season and you can get Nicola leali for free and he's ace, although you need to train him on his positioning

^This. Or you can offer him a pre-contract in January to be sure. It has to be a "very acceptable" offer though, or else it will result in Leali considering your offer for a few days, during which whatever lousy Juventus contract offered will be accepted over yours.

Still, a very solid young keeper and one to go for.

Back