Goals from throw ins

• Thread starter Thread starter atomkins04
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 1
  • Views Views 2K

atomkins04

Reaction score
I am playing with Bolton and had a great start and by December I was in the top 4. Everything started falling apart and now in Feb I am 7th. I am conceding a lot of goals from throw ins. How does one stop goals from throw ins ? It is making me go mad. Almost every goal AI scores against me originates from a throw in. Is this a bug or do I have to change my tactics.

And this throw in nonsense does not stop even when the opposition is down to 10 men.
Away at Anfield, I am 2-0 up with Bolton at half time. And the blasted Andy Carrol scored 2 goals from throw ins.

At home to my rivals Wigan, who are down to 10 men, I am leading 1-0. They barely have any possession. They get a throw in and its a goal. Hugo Rodallega.

What happens is this:

One of their central midfielders / wingers take a throw in. They throw it to their full back. Their full back makes a lobbed pass that would make Fabregas proud. It goes exactly to the foot of their striker who is being man marked by one of my center halves. Their striker is suddenly possessed by the spirit of Dennis Bergkamp and he immediately controls the ball. He then spins past my center half like a ballerina and smashes it into the top corner.

Again and again and again.

Against bigger teams like Chelsea more comedy happens. This time their left full back makes a diagonal lob towards his right winger after getting the ball from a throw in. The ball is in the air for a long long time. Both my center backs just stand there and watch it instead of heading it away. My full back also stands still without doing anything. Their right winger collects the ball just outside the box and smashes it into the top corner.

Why is this happening ?

I play 4-1-2-2-1.

LB - FB support - Paul Robinson - Zonal marking, no tight marking.
RCB - BPD cover -Gary Cahill - Zonal, no tight marking
LCB - CD stopper - David Wheater - Man, tight.
RB - FB support - Steinsson - Zonal , no tight
DM - Muamba - zonal, tight

MCL - Ruben Yttregard Jensen / Stuart Holden - deep lying playmaker support - zonal
MCR - Darren Prately / Harmeet Singh - box to box - zonal

STC - David N'Gog = DLF attack
AML - M.Petrov - Winger attack - man mark full back
AMR - Mario Santana - Adv Playmaker attack - man mark full back

If the pitch is short, I play with a deep line and if the pitch is long , I play with a normal defensive line.

The Bergkamp swivel and shoot happens in short pitches
The winger scores in long pitches.

How do I stop this nonsense ?

One reason could be the marking you have, for example you have got some players on zonal and others on man, so in my opinion and experience those man marking will get dragged out of there positions and leave big gaps which I pressume is whats happening, I always prefer zonal marking as you can cover this space, so maybe try and set everyone to zonal marking and leave the oi blank, let me know how you do :)

Back