Good defender and defensive midfielder recommondations

B3rtman

Reaction score
Hi guys, been waiting for the 18.3 update so i can begin my Arsenal save. I already managed to get rid of that calamity mustafi and replaced him with de ligt but, hes to young to trust in all the games, with chamber sand holding not ready enough (in my opinion) to play in the big clashes so any ideas for a solid cheap centre back to play with Kos while de ligt developes abit. Ive also managed to get rid of Elneny and Xhaka, replacing xhaka with Diawara from Napoli but, again im in search of a good quality defensive midfielder to back up diawara and replace Elneny. Any ideas of who would be good sort term solutions for those two aforementioned positions?

Hi guys, been waiting for the 18.3 update so i can begin my Arsenal save. I already managed to get rid of that calamity mustafi and replaced him with de ligt but, hes to young to trust in all the games, with chamber sand holding not ready enough (in my opinion) to play in the big clashes so any ideas for a solid cheap centre back to play with Kos while de ligt developes abit. Ive also managed to get rid of Elneny and Xhaka, replacing xhaka with Diawara from Napoli but, again im in search of a good quality defensive midfielder to back up diawara and replace Elneny. Any ideas of who would be good sort term solutions for those two aforementioned positions?

If you can get him :wub::wub::wub:
View attachment 61996

I've also started an Arsenal save after the updates. I've bought Denis Zakaria (13 mil. after public pressure) from BMG and has been great for me. You could play him as Defensive Midfielder.

I play a special type of gengenpressing and Zakaria as BWM(D) has been incredible (7.35 after 10 games) - great aggression, tackling and physical presence in the game. He is a bit weak when it comes to passing, but if he is not depolyed with many responsibilities in the build-up phase (short passing and no risky passes) can be a cheap asset to your team.

Last edited:
For allround defensive midfielder with high potential i recommend: Wendel (Sporting), Torreira (Sampdoria), Danilo (Braga), Sander Berge (Genk), Rodri (Villareal), Lewis Cook (Bournemouth), Claudio Gomes (PSG).

For relatively cheap defender: De Vrij (Lazio), Nastasic (S04), Jonny (Multifunctional player from Vigo), Llorente (Real San Sabestian)

Wendel & Franck Kessie .. i have managed both of them for a longer period .. Kessie imo is little better n galactico material .. In my current Arsenal save, i play Kessie as my def-mid ahead of Asensio & Savic in a 433 ...

Santiago Caseres from Velez has had a massive update, looks to be the new Busquets. I play him as a DM, but he is very comfortable in any role in the DM spot and has a release clause of only £9M. Only real downside is he is poor aerially.

Short-term Leonardo Ponzio from River can do an awesome job for a season or two. Being 35 (36 at the end of January) means he is at the end of his career, but scouts still rate him as a leading Premier Division player and he will rarely misplace a pass or lose a tackle. Again, poor aerially, but for less than £1M, I don't think there's a better DM out there. Did excellently for me at Southampton and Man U, probably my favourite player this year.

Stark
upamecano
Malang Sarr
Nico Elvedi
Arthur (Gremio)
Bernardo RBL
Diego Demme
Wendel

Zakaria is a great shout for a DM. As others have said, you'll need to limit his instructions to make sure he doesn't try do too much with the ball. Just win it and get it away to someone with better passing. I have a lot of success with Xhaka at CM as a DLP (defend) though...

What tactic are you playing?

Belgian youngster Bastien is very good as is Walace from Hamburg