GRASSHOPPER ZÜRICH|A SWISS REBIRTH|SEASON 1 PREVIEW OUT NOW!!

KeelanM182

Reaction score
Prior to my first series story on Football Manager, I am going to introduce to all to Grasshopper Zurich. A Club you may have heard of but defiantly not much about. During the 1990's they won pretty much every domestic trophy in Swiss football on a regular basis and established themselves as one of the most successful teams in Swiss football, winning the Raiffeisen Super League, a record, 27 times and 19 Schweizer Cup wins to go along with that.

View attachment 511440

However when it came to Europe, the club just couldn't cut it. Apart from a run to the UEFA Cup semi final in the 1977-78 season but ultimately spending their time bouncing around the Europa League for a long time until disaster hit the club. After their incorporation the club began to deteriorate, failing to win any league titles since the 2002/03 season and slowly dropped further down the league, finishing 8th and 9th in recent years. Despite finishing runners up to Basel during the 12/13 and 13/14 season, they began to drop further and ultimately, the club found themselves relegated to the second tier of Swiss football for the first time in their history, after finishing bottom of the title, winning just 5 matches and 25 point during the 18/19 season.

View attachment 511442

So to begin the 2019/2020 season, here we are. Grasshopper Zurich, 27 time Swiss Champions will begin their first ever season in the second tier of Swiss Football. Despite being the most reputable team in the league, Grasshopper are evens favourites to win the title and a predicted to finish as runners up to Lausanne-Sport. Grasshopper are a club that credit themselves on their excellent youth recruitment and their ability to bring through youngsters, who go on to become full internationals and venture into Europe. Currently in the first team they have 2 youngsters who as manager I will be aiming to bring through and develop them into key first team players.

View attachment 511443
Rustemoski is an 18 year old prospect coming through the academy and made 5 appearances for the first team in the Super League. With a 12 on finishing, a 14 on his off the ball movements and a 14 on technique, We are given a good foundation to drive Rustemoski on to become a key part of the Grasshopper team of the future. The aim for me in my saves is to always find that one striker who will score goals on top of goals. Obviously the danger we do have is that if we can turn Rustemoski into a 20 goal a season forward then eventually we will have a few sniffs from Europes elite(potentially) and this could see us lose a talisman...

View attachment 511444

Next up we have Elias Mesonero, a natural central defender who is also accomplished as a right back. With defenders there's 3 attributes that we look at first, which are Heading, Marking and Tackling.. literally the 3 things main things to be a defender. With 12s and 13s on these attributes, again we have a foundation to push on and develop Elias into a first team member, and with a leadership of 11 there is slight potential he could become an influential member of the group but we'll have to wait to find out. Standing at 6'1 he will be menace to strikers and battle them to the end.

Throughout the first season I will be letting these guys play as often as I can. Sooooo, that's a couple of youth team players covered but we do have some key first team players who will be able to propel the team back up to the Super League.
View attachment 511445
Starting with Swiss U21 International, Oliver Buff. He joined the club during the summer from Cypriot side, Anorthosis Famagusta on a free after venturing over to Spain to spend 2 years with Real Zaragoza. In Buff we have a solid AMC and at the age of just 26 he can be a real mainstay in this side. Coming through the youth system of City Rivals, Zurich FC, he will know all about the Swiss Super League and will defiantly be itching to get GZ back up there. Most suitable to playing as an Advanced Playmaker, he has strong stats with a 15 on his first touch, 14 on free kick taking and a 14 on passing, which means we could see plenty of assists from Buff and possible the odds long range goal with his 12 on long shots. All in all, we have ourselves a tidy AP here, who could be with us for years.

View attachment 511446
Next up we have, Nassim Ben Khalifa, a 27 year old Swiss international, joining the club in the same summer as Oliver Buff. Ben Khalifa is no stranger to Grasshoppers after enjoying 2 stints with the club before returning to Letzigrund this summer. During his second stay at the club he lifted the Schweizer Cup in a season where he scored 6 goals in 33 appearances. Despite being also being an Advanced Playmaker like Buff, I would like to see Ben Khalifa in a Winger role on either flank(Still undecided!). With a 13 on his flair, 14 technique and all his physical stats being nothing less than a 12, he could fit nicely into a winger who is willing to run at defences, deliver crosses to our No9 down the middle and hopefully add to his Schweizer Cup win of 2013

We play our home games at the 26,000 seater stadium, Letzigrund. Since 2007, GZ have showcased their football in the stadium, but are yet to deliver a league title to their loyal supporters who pack the stands out on the regular basis... especially on derby day against city rivals, Zurich FC. In a derby that already has intensity, both Zurich clubs play their football at the Letzigrund. One thing is for sure though, Come derby day, this stadium will be sold out to the max!

View attachment 511447

So that is all today, you've have your background into one of Switzerlands most successful and reputable clubs and now is the time play. I will be updating 3 times during the season, Before the season starts, at the midway point of the season and at the end of each season to evaluate our finish and how we did in regards to results, cup competitions, transfer and so on. Also from this point on I shall we referring to Grasshoppers as GZ. It's fair too long of a name for my fingers to type.

For now, its goodbye from me and I shall see you all in January!

Keelan