• Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 3
  • Views Views 2K
I

iNickStuff

The Guardian
Andy Gray: I considered killing myself after the Sky sexism row

• "I would be lying if I said I didn't."
  • TalkSport presenter still finds it hard to accept.

Andy Gray: I considered killing myself after Sky sexism row | Football | guardian.co.uk

The former Sky Sports presenter Andy Gray has admitted that he considered killing himself after being sacked by the broadcaster for making sexist remarks about a football official and a fellow colleague.

Gray, 56, made the admission in an interview with the Evening Standard in which he also said he has found the decision to sack him and the stain it has cast on his reputation hard to accept. Asked if he has considered taking his own life since his dismissal, he said: "Yes. I would be lying if I said I didn't. I had never felt like I have felt from January 25th [last year] onwards."

And despite resuming his media career with a job as a Talksport presenter alongside Richard Keys – who was sacked by Sky along with Gray – the former Everton and Scotland striker has found it hard not to dwell on what happened at Sky. "It happened on a Saturday morning," recalls Gray. "I got a call on Monday from Andy Melvin [deputy head of Sky Sports] just telling us, 'Don't come in today for Monday night football. It escalated from there for some reason, I've no idea why.

Gray was later sacked by Sky's head of sport, Barney Francis, after footage emerged of him making sexist remarks about the assistant referee Sian Massey to Sky's pitchside reporter Andy Burton and also of an incident caught on camera a month earlier in which he made a suggestive comment to his colleague Charlotte Jackson.

Gray is still adamant that the incident does not cast him in a true light. "This was a private bit of banter released to the social media and for some reason the press etc tore us apart," he said. "I have no problems with a woman referee. It wasn't a criticism, it was a light-hearted quip. "I wish I'd never said it and, if I caused Sian any problems, then of course I'm terribly disappointed. Richard [Keys, who resigned after he was seen laughing with Gray in the footage] phoned her, apologised on our behalf and she said, 'Don't be so stupid, guys.'"

As for what happened with his colleague Jackson, Gray said: "Again, it's probably an old man trying to be funny. It was no more than that. Charlotte knows us very well. For 17 years, my life was a dressing room and everyone who's been in a dressing room knows what kind of banter goes on.
"It's a place where you can get ripped apart at times by your fellow players. We had that type of dressing room at Sky where we wanted people to feel comfortable and we had conversations about many things.

"In 20 years in studios up and down the country I've heard people saying things off camera that would make your hair curl. I do not see myself as sexist. Not in a million years. I have four daughters and I was brought up by a wonderful mother on her own. She's 91 and is distraught about what happened."

-------------------------------------

It's quite worrying how suicide and depression are creeping up in football. This has been a talking point for a while now and, not long ago, Dean Windass admitted that he considered attempting suicide after he filed for bankruptcy. What is going on? How can this be attended to more with precautionary measures in mind?

Boo-fuckity-hoo.

He lost his job because of his own actions. He should man up and stop crying.

IiioqLDdvFn4YM7xS0Wy4HFKRTKxYsXzWazfQ2bm5tmsxnsXej+Ozp8a3fkwR36fzPWs46yMSeWAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC
View attachment 228124

Last edited:
I think the article is a bit more serious than a man whining about losing his job Chaz. He accepts that what he said was stupid - He has "man[ned] up" by calling Sian and apologizing for what he said. People ask him about the situation and he has always been a straight shooter and will tell it the way it is. I feel for Gray with how quickly all this happened and his reputation has been skinned. It's sad that he would contemplate suicide, especially since he has 4 daughters that is a difficult thing to accept within the family. There does need to be much more action taken with the affects of depression within the game. Yes these players get paid millions of pounds every year to play sports - but there is a very heavy emotional exploitation of these players. The Media drag all their dirty laundry out into the yard for the whole country to see, every thing they do is scrutinized by millions of people. They are constantly traveling and are away from their families which in itself can lead to worse things - cheating exploitation of these actions hardships at home etc.

Yes many of you could just say "Oh well that is their own fault" - Is it really though? The player may already be depressed and might have a few drinks and then women will be throwing them selves at them purely because they are a football player. Of course there will be an eventual lapse in his ability to say no - from there it will just steam roll and get worse.

In Canada (where I currently reside) there is a massive push to explore the dangers of depression within athletes (Most Hockey players here) as at least 3 have died ("suicide") within the last year or so. Landsberg: His depression and his friend, Wade Belak There is an article by one Micheal Landsberg who recently released a documentary here about how depression affected his own life during his hockey career.

Basically what I am saying is that there needs to be some sort of support blanket for these players - I know that not many of them can actually realize that they are "clinically" depressed nor are they actually going to admit it, but allowing for this sort of system would help increase awareness and give those players who are in dire need something to look to and seek help. You may "hate" certain players but never would you want to see one of these superstars kill them selves, or even older stars do something like that. I know how shocked I was at the Gary Speed suicide, It affected me and makes you wish that something could have been done. INick this topic is becoming more and more prevalent in all areas of athletics. To be frank I believe it is down to the Media and how they portray these players - Some of what is written about them is Libel and most is definitely slanderous - It's unfortunate for these athletes that we all live in a Free-speech era and that the Media can run any sort of article they want.

Boo-fuckity-hoo.

He lost his job because of his own actions. He should man up and stop crying.

IiioqLDdvFn4YM7xS0Wy4HFKRTKxYsXzWazfQ2bm5tmsxnsXej+Ozp8a3fkwR36fzPWs46yMSeWAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC
View attachment 228124

That's a bit far, don't you think?

It's not so much about thoughts about suicide, it's in conjunction with other stories that have broken out like Dean Windass talking about it and the tragedy in Gary Speed's death. He's obviously regretful of his actions.

Back