Greece Euro 2004 Tactic

• Thread starter Thread starter t9kane
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 19
  • Views Views 11K

t9kane

Reaction score
I need help.
I am currently managing Al-Wasl (club from United Arab Emirates) they are underdogs and are expected to be relegated. I want to find a way to have a solid defense and deadly counter-attacks.

Is there any tactic out there that can help me? ( Although I play FM for 6 years, I am not good with the tactics:@)

I dont think there is one.

I am also desperate of a tactic that will give me first of all solid defence.

So that i can depend on it and focus on squad building and other managment duties.

I hate exploit tactics, i hate winning 5-2 and 7-3. The tactics uploaded here and there will give me big margin wins in most of the matches, but there will come the day that i will be completely smashed by a better and quicker team and because of high defensive line i will have no answer to that.

I want ONE tactic for all competitions that will give me easy 1-0, 2-0, 3-0, 3-1 wins because of solid structure in the back and good use of the flair i have upfront in my league agaionst poorer opponents, and pure solidness in Champions League.

I also dont like shoots and OIs. I want my team to have the best solid structure possible, and if i lose its ok. I will know that next year with two or three transfers i will be better.

And i dont ask much there was some tactics with this philosophy that actually worked in previous patches.

Anyway last hope is Hazza's try of Greece 2004 tactic.

I am trying for a long time to built one myself but i cant find the balance. Either it doesnt work OR if it works it has more balance in the defence and when you conceed a stupid cross, corner or penalty you struggle then to turn over the match. The bold is why i find a stable solid defensive tactic imposible to work in FM. The only way it will work is if you have world class defenders with great positioning, strenght, jump, concentrations, decisions, aggression, composure etc.

Best defence is attack in this game only. I hope someone proves me wrong.

PS. I found out that loose marking and hard tackling to all players seems to work. They keep their positions and tackle hard in the correct time. I experiment now with closing down to see what happens. but i dont have the time the knowledge and the patiense to make it right.

Last edited:
I dont think there is one.

I am also desperate of a tactic that will give me first of all solid defence.

So that i can depend on it and focus on squad building and other managment duties.

I hate exploit tactics, i hate winning 5-2 and 7-3. The tactics uploaded here and there will give me big margin wins in most of the matches, but there will come the day that i will be completely smashed by a better and quicker team and because of high defensive line i will have no answer to that.

I want ONE tactic for all competitions that will give me easy 1-0, 2-0, 3-0, 3-1 wins because of solid structure in the back and good use of the flair i have upfront in my league agaionst poorer opponents, and pure solidness in Champions League.

I also dont like shoots and OIs. I want my team to have the best solid structure possible, and if i lose its ok. I will know that next year with two or three transfers i will be better.

And i dont ask much there was some tactics with this philosophy that actually worked in previous patches.

Anyway last hope is Hazza's try of Greece 2004 tactic.

I am trying for a long time to built one myself but i cant find the balance. Either it doesnt work OR if it works it has more balance in the defence and when you conceed a stupid cross, corner or penalty you struggle then to turn over the match. The bold is why i find a stable solid defensive tactic imposible to work in FM. The only way it will work is if you have world class defenders with great positioning, strenght, jump, concentrations, decisions, aggression, composure etc.

Best defence is attack in this game only. I hope someone proves me wrong.

PS. I found out that loose marking and hard tackling to all players seems to work. They keep their positions and tackle hard in the correct time. I experiment now with closing down to see what happens. but i dont have the time the knowledge and the patiense to make it right.

That is EXACLTY what I meant!. You explained it perfectly! I like to win always 1-0 :D

Last edited:
That is EXACLTY what I meant!. You explained it perfectly! I like to win always 1-0 :D

YES mate.

I wonder if its possible.

I guess what we need is :

1. a good POSSESION tactic, but suitable SOMEHOW for mediocre technical team, and that it can keep the ball even if you play deep (as you must do to cope against Ronaldo, Messi, Gervinho etc)
2. the best availiable defensive settings for the time you DONT have the ball even if it requires specific attributes (for example tall full backs to defend well crosses, or wide midfielders with tackling positioning and marking of 13 in a supposing 4-4-2 tactic) and settings that make the tactic cope against quicker opponents (for example low closing down)
3. good defensive set pieces setup
4. defense minded attacking set pieces setup so you dont get caught in counter attacks
5. the same for throw ins
6. to find out a good cheap (as if you are underdog you cant buy ter Stegen or Muslera etc) Goalkeeper like Ochoa or Vilar was in previous FM versions.

Either its not possible in this ME or there are not much people out there like this approach.

Last edited:
YES mate.

I wonder if its possible.

I guess what we need is :

1. a good POSSESION tactic, but suitable SOMEHOW for mediocre technical team, and that it can keep the ball even if you play deep (as you must do to cope against Ronaldo, Messi, Gervinho etc)
2. the best availiable defensive settings for the time you DONT have the ball even if it requires specific attributes (for example tall full backs to defend well crosses, or wide midfielders with tackling positioning and marking of 13 in a supposing 4-4-2 tactic) and settings that make the tactic cope against quicker opponents (for example low closing down)
3. good defensive set pieces setup
4. defense minded attacking set pieces setup so you dont get caught in counter attacks
5. the same for throw ins
6. to find out a good cheap (as if you are underdog you cant buy ter Stegen or Muslera etc) Goalkeeper like Ochoa or Vilar was in previous FM versions.

Either its not possible in this ME or there are not much people out there like this approach.

Do you know anyone out there capable of making a tactic like that?

I dont know if its even possible.

Possesion tactics require GOOD technical and off the ball attributes.

And counter attack tactics that worked brilliantly concceeding a little (and scoring a realstic amount of goals. Not 100+ goals and Corner bug) in previous patches dont work anymore with this patch.

I dont know if its even possible.

Possesion tactics require GOOD technical and off the ball attributes.

And counter attack tactics that worked brilliantly concceeding a little (and scoring a realstic amount of goals. Not 100+ goals and Corner bug) in previous patches dont work anymore with this patch.

We don't need possession. If we can defend well, covering the empty spaces, the opponent can have the ball just as long as he likes that they can't do nothing with the ball.

Also, I want deadly attacking set-pieces, not only corners and that infamous bug (which I don't like) but free-kicks have to deadly aswell, with someone like Beckham...:D. If that tactic was created, I would win the EURO 2012 with Greece :D

Last edited:
Djibril Cisse - I think you have pretty much explained THIS tactic.

Well balanced between defence and attack. You wont score an incredible amount, you wont concede an incredible amount. Use the link, take the advice of the OP in that thread, have patience, build the team around the tactic and you WILL get success.

Good luck.

Also, if anyone knows a "park the bus" tactic for the last 10 minutes of a game it would be magnificent. My opponents in Serie A always score in the final minutes of the game...:(View attachment 273363 this is an example. They scored at the 85 minutes...

Yes, I have been working on a defensive tactic based on the Greek achievements in 2004 and it is starting off really well but I've barely tested it. The formation looks very weird and will take some getting used to. So far I have done the tactic which worked against France and the Czech Republic but not the one they used against Portugal in the final. There are no intentional exploits except the corner one. This is because they were known for having solid set-pieces.

Yes, I have been working on a defensive tactic based on the Greek achievements in 2004 and it is starting off really well but I've barely tested it. The formation looks very weird and will take some getting used to. So far I have done the tactic which worked against France and the Czech Republic but not the one they used against Portugal in the final. There are no intentional exploits except the corner one. This is because they were known for having solid set-pieces.

Hey Hazza, I am new here but I've heard good things about you! That is EXACTLY what I am looking for. The corner exploit is perfect for the way Greece played in 2004, and if the tactic worked agains France (which is clearly bigger than Greece) than, I think it is what I am looking for. I don't really care if it not the formation Greece used against Portugal in 2004, I just want to play like they did. Can you post some screenshots? I am really excited :D

Hey Hazza, I am new here but I've heard good things about you! That is EXACTLY what I am looking for. The corner exploit is perfect for the way Greece played in 2004, and if the tactic worked agains France (which is clearly bigger than Greece) than, I think it is what I am looking for. I don't really care if it not the formation Greece used against Portugal in 2004, I just want to play like they did. Can you post some screenshots? I am really excited :D

I have currently been testing it with a created team I made on the editor. I will do some further testing on with others teams if you like.

I have currently been testing it with a created team I made on the editor. I will do some further testing on with others teams if you like.

That would be cool. Can you send me a link with the tactic so I can test it aswell? Thanks a lot BTW

That would be cool. Can you send me a link with the tactic so I can test it aswell? Thanks a lot BTW

The tactic I have created is only for when facing teams that play 2 strikers. I am still creating another version for teams that play one striker. I will send you the link of the first one but I have not really tested it.

The tactic I have created is only for when facing teams that play 2 strikers. I am still creating another version for teams that play one striker. I will send you the link of the first one but I have not really tested it.

This is how I am gonna play.View attachment 273451 The formation surely looks weird but just as long as it works I am fine. Going to set-up a friendly to test it and give you feedback after. :D

Back