jay2dee

Reaction score
Arsenal FC

I have been reading a lot of stories and tactic discussions enjoying them all and decided as I have never done this before to create a story/help discussion on how I'm doing as the new Arsenal Manager but getting feedback from you on how to help me progress.

I'm never really a big team but as always during beta or 1st run through I play as Arsenal my supported team.

Pre Season

I shall start with transfers so I can include them when talking about performances. I haven't used any wonderkid list here, I want to build a solid platform and then scout for the kids when I'm comfortable challenging at the top.

View attachment 979568

Jorginho - I wanted a decent defensive minded player to challenge Coquelin and after browsing around we went head to head with PSG for him and managed to acquire him easily in the end with no high wages.

De Sciglio - I find the left back position with Arsenal very weak. De Sciglio improves the 1st team, has many years ahead of him and is very versatile on where he can play. Good Price as-well. Monreal was the casualty.

Austin - I wanted to find backup to Giroud, I didn't want to pay mega bucks that i have seen many players do like Higuain or Moratta. I came across Charlie Austin. Cheap, English, Good stats, and prepared to play a back up role. More on him in a while as he becomes my star signing!

Martins Indi - Mertesacker is aging and is slow, Gabriel for me isnt performing at all and with chambers on loan I needed backup and again he came at a decent price with very good stats.

So overall instead of the one blockbuster signing I have gone for sqaud depth and filled in key areas every Arsenal fan screams to Arsene that we need to Improve.

Tactics

View attachment 979576

I have gone for the very popular 4-2-3-1 as its probably the only tactic that fits Arsenals best 11 into.

GK - Standard Def

FB - I have got both full backs set to support, its great when they bomb forward but Ive seen it in the past leaving the defense exposed so more of a balanced look.

CB - Again these are set to the basic Defend, I tweaked about with them but had bad performances resulting from it.

BWM - Set to defend, with the attacking options we have I need somebody to break up play and help back in defense.

DLP - Support, I feel exposed so i like Ramsey to create plays but not get forward at every chance.

AP - Support, This is the only option I feel I can get the best out of Ozil and he still is hot and cold.

Wingers - Support, I wanted to play into the strengths of Giroud and having them as wingers and not IF gets plenty more crosses onto the head of Giroud.

TM - The best suitability for Giroud to make the most of his strength and heading attributes.

Overall not the most attack minded I have seen but I',m having issues conceding and I'm trying to counter it. I cant buy a clean sheet against mid table and up.

Main 11

Cech - Good goalkeeper who I can use still for the next few years. Puts in some solid performances, nothing special. I think he doesn't perform as-well as he should compared to real life but that might change with release of the game.

Bellerin - I think everyone knows hes brilliant and consistent on this version. Always one of my top performers and grabs a lot of assists.

Koscielny - Our best CB, Hes very consistent but has had a few bad games.

Mertersacker/Indi - I rotate between these, Indi is the better defender IMO but I can trust the BFG to do a job.

De Sciglio - Not hit the heights I was expecting and had to call in Gibbs a few times to show his position is not safe.

Jorginho/Coquelin - Both doing a not so bad job, nothing special, rotate them both.

Ramsey/Cazorla - Ramsey again hasn't done anything brilliant yet hasn't been bad. This is where Cazorla misses out to accommodate a defensive midfielder.

Theo - Been very good for me out on the wing and has an average rating of around 8 at the moment, had a few injuries as usual so missed a few games.

Ozil - I never know what to do with him. I get such hot and cold performances. One game he will score 2 and grab an assist and others i get a rating of like 6.1

Alexis/Chamberlain
- The Arsenal norm on injuries. he got injured in a testimonial match againt Chelsea and missed almost all of my games. The ox has provided cover and done a brilliant Job.

Giroud/Austin

So as i stated earlier. I wanted to play to Girouds strenghts and the 1st few games it work well. 3 goals from him in 4 appearences. Curse of the Arsenal injury AGAIN and hes out for 5-6 weeks. Up steps my star player.

Charlie Austin - 7 goals in 7 Games. He was meant to be backup. now Giroud is fit and cant get a game. I could of spent 40-50 million on a star player but 9.5 mil and a return on 7 goals in 7 games. Could he be my gem this season?

The first 10 games.

View attachment 213540

As you can see its very tight at the top of the table, Man City was running away with it playing 7 won 7 but they have lost there last 3 games and we have them next at home. Good time to play them?

View attachment 213538

I had a good pre-season then had chelsea twice in a testimonial and the Comunnity sheild. Lost them both and could see how this season was going to end.

Very tricky start to the league with Man Utd and Liverpool my 1st two games. Great results but I cant pretend we deserved it against Man Utd. They bossed it but we got a 2 goal lead and hanged on.

3-0 against Barca. Went 1-0 up and they went down to 10 men, Expected to see out the game and the extra man made it an easy victory.

Loss to Chelsea again! Mehh 1-0 away. is what it is.

My Concerns are the Norwich game. Take a look at this beaut.

View attachment 213535

I'm having issues keeping a clean sheet. Yes my last 2 games were clean but it was home to BMG and away to Bournemouth.

If i want to win the title I cant be 2-0 up with 5 to play and draw 2-2. Fuming!

So overall so far so good. I need help tweaking the defense. BPL we are challenging. Champions league were up there, dissapointed to lose to Lyon but Lacazette bent me over.

Capital One Cup i'm not botherd about. Played a reserve 11.

Let me know guys what you think. How can I improve. Should I buy anyone in the winter. Hope you ejoyed!

Update

Just a quick update to my progress.

Been a bit of a mixed bag of results but after 20 games we have found some form in the league leaving us top by 2 points. Ourself, Man Utd and city have created a bit of gap to the rest but still only 2 points between us.

Champions league

It's not good news as we're out! We went into the the last 3 games top of the table only losing to Lyon. We played Barca away and maybe not deserved but purely painfully after taking a 1-0 lead on the counter attack. Barca equalised in the 92nd minute.

We also had a 2-0 lead against BGM and finished 2-2 conceding late goals.

Finally after taking the lead at home vs Lyon where a win would top the group with Barca. Lacazette scored a hatrick and send us crashing out of the tournament.

If you think it gets any easier we got Fenebache in the Europa league and if we get through that it's Man utd.

Transfers

Out
Gabriel - started moaning about not enough games. The players took my side as he started to disrupt the dressing room. He refused to move to bayern because of salary issues and joined Monaco for about 3 mill less grrrr.

Coquelin - Sadly didn't perform for me and when a offer came in for around 17 mil was to good to refuse.

In

Only one transfer in Emre Cann. Liverpool are doing really bad in the league currently 15th. He was unhappy and I managed to pick him up as a replacement for Coquelin for 23 mil.

The board has increased my budget to 93 million!! Not sure what to spend the rest on as I have will wilshere and welbeck near return.

Daniel sturridge is also unhappy at Liverpools league position. A bid of 40 million was rejected from us and not sure if I want to go back in with a 2nd offer or wait it out to get him cheaper.

Finally a quick update on my strikers. Charlie Austin fizzled out his goalscoring streak but is still decent back up. Giroud is really benefitting my tactics to basically go wide and cross and is approaching 20 goals in January.