Half-Volleys and Two-Footed Tackles - A Luton Town Story.

PeterKnives

Reaction score
Chapter 1 - Half Volleys and Two-Footed Tackles

September 1996, and a naive, bright eyed 18 year old walked onto the Kenilworth Road pitch, 8 minutes and 52 seconds later, and he's being stretchered off it. He'd just taken a shot, a half volley that hit the crossbar, when he'd found himself writhing in agony. A defender had dived in with two feet, straight into his knee. 4 hours later, the naive 18 year old was told it was extremely unlikely for him to walk again, let alone play professional football.

If you hadn't guessed, I was the naive, 18 year old that was wheelchair bound. However, after half a year of learning to walk, and another year of learning how to play football again, I was walking onto a football pitch again, this time for St. Albans. A few years later, my semi professional career came to a halt, due to another knee injury, and another two footed tackle.

It took me two years too walk again this time, to a standard I was happy with anyway, but as I was unable to walk more than a 100 yards without a cane, playing football at any level was out. I spent the next half a year or so moping, until my mum got fed up of it, and paid for me to receive my coaching badges. Got my badges within a year, and a job at St Albans a few months after, was a coach for a few years, then became assistant manager until my contract ran out in 2011. I was job hunting when Gary Brabin left Luton, citing medical reasons, and decided that applying for the job wouldn't hurt.

A few days later, Gary Sweet called me, and asked me to come down to Kenilworth Road, for an interview. The rest of the board was there as well, and I spent the next hour and a half answering questions. In my opinion, it went well, but I still didn't expect the job, I mean, who in the right mind would sign a previously untested manager, when they're expecting promotion? Gary Sweet and Nick Owen, that's who, I got a call the next day, from Nick, saying I'd got the job, and was told to start the next day, Tuesday 5th of July, 2011.

---------------------
And my story is started, hoping to update every other day or so, pre-season update should be up either tonight or tomorrow. Constructive criticism is incredibly welcome.

Last edited:
I'm surprised there have been no comments so far! Please continue this story, sounds really interesting. :)

Back