Hargreaves training with Man Utd

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 18
  • Views Views 960

BBC Sport

BBC Sport News Headlines
Reaction score
Owen Hargreaves is back in training with Manchester United as he seeks to start his first match for two years.

More...

The Question is does he still have the ability to play the highest level after 2 years

This was the article with Dr Steadman last week:

Owen Hargreaves 'closing in on return'

By Simon Austin

Owen Hargreaves has made an excellent recovery from a career-threatening knee injury and could soon be back, says the knee surgeon he has been working with.
Hargreaves has not started a Manchester United game since September 2008 and many feared his career could be over.
But the renowned Dr Richard Steadman told BBC Sport: "Things are looking good for Owen, it's all worked out.
"He's close to playing fitness, although it's obviously up to United to decide when he plays a match."
Steadman, who has previously worked with Ruud van Nistelrooy, Michael Owen and Alan Shearer, operated on Hargreaves in 2009.
The 29-year-old midfielder has since made several visits to Steadman's clinic in Vail, Colorado, as he continued his recovery from the surgery.
Steadman, who rarely gives interviews, explained: "The problem was with the tendon attached to the patella on each knee, which is difficult to resolve.

I always find the Premier League guys a pleasure to work with. They just never give up
Dr Richard Steadman
"After the surgery, the key was rest and working hard on recovery. Owen has spent a lot of time with us here in Colorado and he just has such a great work ethic.
"He's never given up and we never gave up on him. The recovery was arduous and took a long time.
"But Owen is a patient patient and his condition looks promising now. You can't rush this type of injury and have to be very patient.
"He was with us a few weeks ago and is doing really well though. He was sprinting, twisting and turning."
Hargreaves was named in United's 25-man Premier League squad, but left out of their Champions League squad.
Steadman paid tribute to the work his colleague Luke O'Brien has done with the midfielder.
"Luke has a lot of experience with Major League Soccer and understands footballers and the demands placed on them.

"It's been about building the area of the knee to deal with the intense demands that will be placed on it.
"Football is all about rapid start, stop and kick. And you can't overstep the bounds with the recovery. Owen still knows not to push too far.
"We used a machine that allows you to be weightless when you run. Then gradually you can build up the weight placed on the joint."
Steadman is widely regarded as the world's leading knee surgeon and has worked with a host of Premier League footballers.
He says he particularly enjoys working with them, mainly because of their work ethic.
"I work with a variety of sportsmen and women and must say I always find the Premier League guys a pleasure to work with. They just never give up," stated Steadman.
Hargreaves secured his move from Bayern Munich to Old Trafford in July 2007 for a fee of about £17m after signing a four-year contract.

That was the first time hes spoken with real confidence about hargreaves in the lst 18 months

Great news. Hope he is still a good player though :P

---------- Post added at 02:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:55 PM ----------

Great news. Hope he is still a good player though :P

Sorry but its rare that players come back the same from serious injuries..I doubt Hargreaves will be as a important cog as he was in the United wheels now

Sorry but its rare that players come back the same from serious injuries..I doubt Hargreaves will be as a important cog as he was in the United wheels now
wes brown, ole gunnar solskjaer, ruud van nistelooy, paul scholes

Think will be bit part player in the respect that probably not play more then 2 games in a row. In his prime very important player for Man U and England as he had great tactical awareness (learnt from being brought up in European football).

i only named the united players, plently more out there. beckham has come back for one, but all it means is that its possible and comes down to the inidividual. you cant draw conclusions until he steps out onto the pitch. lots of players come back from serious injury lots dont. but you have to look at it player by player

Great news :D. Hopefully he wont get injured before he returns again :(

i likes Hargreaves but i fear for him, i believe he will struggle to reach any sort of level he was at 4-5 years ago.

So in 2 years, Hargreaves has played a minute of premier league action, and very little in other competitions. I wonder what his pay packet has been every week for the last two years. :S

I will be very relieved to see him back on a football pitch, a great player who's career has been ravaged by injuries, if he manages to get some games and some form for United, hopefully he will force his way back into the England set up and take the role of the much needed holding midfielder.

Used to love Hargreaves. I wish him all the best when he returns, hope he pushes into the centre with Fletcher.

We'll see how long it is before he's injured again.

Back