Has anyone had any success with smaller clubs and if so how?

• Thread starter Thread starter Fanty111
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 12
  • Views Views 2K

Fanty111

Reaction score
i always find it so difficult with smaller clubs...i really am having to hold back from a rant and i dont want to do that.

can anyone share any tips for smaller clubs e.g southampton standard liege sporting cp

im losing my mind im sure there a vendetta against my teams

if anyone aware also of a glitch where a defender will slide tackle in a box then the ball bobbles round and the person was meant to be tackled scores a simple goal? it really frustating me. i have players markign with their backs turned to forwards aswell (Collochini) this wouldnt happen IRL

Well, im not sure if this qualifies, but i start as Munchen 1860 in German D2, got promoted via playoff in my first season, and am currently sitting mid table, largely with the same team i came up with, although i did make a few purchases. A lot of the players i started on the team are actually worse than the younger players i've given a lot of time to.

i always find it so difficult with smaller clubs...i really am having to hold back from a rant and i dont want to do that.

can anyone share any tips for smaller clubs e.g southampton standard liege sporting cp

im losing my mind im sure there a vendetta against my teams

if anyone aware also of a glitch where a defender will slide tackle in a box then the ball bobbles round and the person was meant to be tackled scores a simple goal? it really frustating me. i have players markign with their backs turned to forwards aswell (Collochini) this wouldnt happen IRL

what season? Also be more cautious in your play. Counter attack often works well for smaller teams.

i lol'd at the fact that you considered the saints and sporting and the like, when I was struggling with St.Albans in the BSS!

But srsly, I think the best thing to do is play counter attacking football, get a couple of the recommended youngsters on the cheap, maybe....i don't think you should expect success immediately.

The glitch....i have never seen my defenders attempt a slide tackle in the box without a penalty being given, so no, no glitch.

I have won the capital one cup with notts county and got them into the champions league by 2018 runners up in the fa cup as well and championship winners you can have success with smaller teams just takes time.

buy kara build your team around your best player it will all come to place all so have an average of 23 this is what I did at notts county.

Last edited:
Use simple tactics, don't try and be too clever to begin with. Direct, counter attacking football. Young players with high determination, with a few experienced heads thrown in aswell. Southampton are great to play with, lots of good young players. If your budget is tight then buy a few wonderkids and be patient for a few seasons whilst they develop.

Direct counter attacking football...Also, for money, try signing players on free in december, then sell them a year later... also buy a good cheap striker and playmaker..fierro, maupay.. then mccarthy, verrati, shelvey

I managed to win the Champions League and Seria A with Siena at the 3rd season (gametime) and 1st for me at Siena by playing counter attacking football even beating off Barcelona at the final 2-0

Contrary to what most people are saying, I don't think you necessarily need to play counter-attacking, I think if you have a good philosophy and implement it well, you can beat most team with a reasonable squad. A lot of the time you can go out and attack and if your tactics are good enough you'll come away with a win. In saying that, this only comes off sometimes for me, I'll try to attack a big team and occasionally just get rocked. Play to your teams strengths

I find the start of second season transfer window is a brilliant way to do some serious strengthening of your squad, given you'll have a new transfer budget which is generally a lot bigger if you've done ok in competitions. It's generally going to be a pretty slow build to get a lesser team to higher levels, but that's just like real life I suppose.

2nd season with southampton i won the europa league playing with a barca style tactic, also won the EPL 3rd & 4th season with my own attacking tactic, just finished the 4th season on 96 points.

I won all major leagues in first season with small clubs.

Fulham,Southampton,HSV,Troyes,Istra

also I won with Volves in second season when I have been in Championship European league.

even with worst team I can be top 4 the FM is so easy for experienced players

managing big teams don't requires any skill

Last edited:
Won the EPL with Derby County in '16-'17, and the Europa League in the same year. I played offensive football. I mainly focused on developing young players, like i always do, and in the end it payed off. I was aiming for a promotion in the first year, but due to this "tactic" i only managed to do it in the 2nd season. But on the long term, i would say it was better like that.

Back