WimbleDan

Reaction score
Guys, started off with Wimbeldon, finished almost mid table in first season due to poor defence mainly. Got a 4-3-1-2 tactic off here and it didnt work for me , got sacked in the 2nd season for dropping into the relegation zone.
Started the game again with Hayes and Yeading, got off to a decent start, but I'm slowly dropping into the bottom 4 in the 2nd half of the season, so grabbed a BSP 4-5-1 tactic off here and its hardly making a difference. Its like the AI is intent on making me lose regardless.
I've tried tweaking the tactic and using various touchline shouts, but its just not working for me.
At the moment the two wingers play as an attacking role, the touchline shouts I've been recommended is retain possession, pass to feet (if away), pass to space (if home), and play wider. The squad is pretty much default in this first season with the exception of a winger (who isnt bad).
I'm sure its the advanced tactics to blame, as it appears complicated for a BSP team that hasnt really been modified, but I also feel the bare minimum would be just as bad.
I've been predicted to get relegated, but I'm pretty sure I can avoid it.
Any advice, touchline shouts or less complicated 4-5-1 tactics appreciated, as this is heading the same way as it did when I managed Wimbeldon.

What is causing you to lose, failure to take chances or crappy defending? I've got 3-or 4 guys that are L1 standard so this may not work for you. Overall my squad is a pretty good passing team (lowest value is 7 is my starting11) and pretty fast for this level (wingers are 14 for pace). It's a control setup, with retain possession, pass to space and stay on feet shouts. Depending on if the pitch is short,narrow,long, wide I adjust the line and width accordingly. It's a modified version of this http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/downloads.php?do=file&id=1257. I don't change either home or away. I only ever change if I'm playing a L1 team or higher with either counter or defensive setup. I'm not going to say this is an unbeatable tactic - far from it. It's what currently working for my squad of players, I usually control possession for around 55-60% and +17 goal differential over 12 games.
This is how I set mine up currently

And I'm retraining a guy to be aDM do I give him time at that position. Hence the red dot

I've tried complete dominance at BSS level with one of the central midfielders as an advanced playmaker and it works if you have the players to do it. None of the tactics are plug and play IMO you have to tweak player roles for your individual players strengths and weaknesses. I had a striker which could jump and head the ball (18jumping and 9 heading)but slow as mollasses last season for example so I used him as a target man with wingers (+pump ball into the box shout) instead of inside forwards.

Also it does take a little time for your players to understand so it may be because they're not familiar yet which is causing the formation to fail

I'm looking at the Hayes and yeading lineup on the 10.3 patch your best winger IMO is Andrej Stolkers but he's too slow to be an effective winger I'd retrain him to be central midfielder though because he'd be a great deep lying playmaker at this level. Speed kills at this level. This is how I'd probably setup Hayes and yeading in a 4-5-1 in the first year, but really I'd be looking for a right winger with better attributes ASAP to make it effective

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:
Hi. Thanks for the reply. Because I have exactly the same formation as you've shown, I only have one upfront and the two default wingers. I've tried changing their roles match to match, as at half time my assistant isnt happy with the way they play.
I think the defence is better than my attack, I concede usually in the last 20 minutes of a game, which either makes me lose or draw, and I always fail to win comprehensively. I've now gone 12 games without a win, and the last win finished 1-0. Thats how poor my attack is, and even the defenders are getting into the 6 yard box during set pieces but they also fail to score. Chances are few and far between, but when it arises nobody can finish them.
My main gripe is the half time analysis, the assistant points out the passing either doesnt connect or goes straight to opposition, and the forward is being outnumbered by opposition defenders..I think the assistant doesnt realise its the case because the formation is one upfront, and should really be pointing out a solution as oppose to the obvious.
At this point I'd be tweaking the advanced tactics/shouts (but keep the 4-5-1) to try compensate for the lack of action, but it seems like the gateway to losing by a goal or two. I've also been trying to adapt to the oppositions pre match analysis, most are 4-4-2 counter attack, what shouts/tactics at the start will get past that formation? I seriously must've tried everything while trying to keep it relatively simple on every option.
Being the first season I'm not expecting promotion with this club, but its no fun when its ridiculously difficult to get a win in 12 games, and 4 points adrift of safety.