Helenio Herrera Grande Inter Recreation Tactic

maxy67

Reaction score
View attachment 256311

[video=youtube;tPRxmTtbnWg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPRxmTtbnWg&feature=channel_video_title[/video]

This is catenaccio - the sweeper system in full effect. The brainchild of the great Herrera, it might not have been pretty but it was effective. This defence was like a locked door. The team was not without creativity, with the spanish playmker Luis Suarez and great attacking midfielder Sandro Mazzola, but it relied on the counter-attack. The team above is the one that lined up for the European Cup Final in 1963. Inter were to reach two other Finals in the 1960s.

Catenaccio predicated itself on always having a spare man in defense. It accomplished this by using man-marking; each Inter player knew who he was meant to be keeping tabs on in his half of the field. The spare man was the sweeper.

Tactic:

View attachment 256312

Important roles or unusal roles in the system:

Libero (sweeper): Plays behind the two central defenders, sweeping up any balls or players who get through the defensive wall.

View attachment 256313

Left Fullback: Under Herrera Inter's left full back Fachetti was very attacking, and added a positive outlet that other Italian sides who practiced Catenaccio did not.

View attachment 256314

Regista (Deep Lying Play-Maker): The main playmaker of the side

View attachment 256315

Tornante (Here the Wing Back on the right hand Side): Expected to cover the whole of the right side, in attack and defence.

View attachment 256316

My Results:

View attachment 256317 View attachment 256318 View attachment 256367 View attachment 256368

Grande Inter.tac

Last edited:
Your tactics are usually very good, and this is an especially hard one to master, so good job on this.

Your tactics are usually very good, and this is an especially hard one to master, so good job on this.

Thank you, I'm also working on Nereo Rocco's version of Catenaccio as well. Which is a little more attacking.

Trying this out with italy because it appeals to me cause of the players i want to play

tried this with man u worked really well, very tight defense lots of possession around 60+ per cent only thing is not many goals but nice football