NachoManya

Reaction score
I´m currently managing Peñarol (Uruguayan 1st division) and I´ve decide to put up a 4-4-2 diamond narrow mainly because that way I´m able to fit all my best players into the starting lineup. I would love to recieve some advice on how to adjust the players roles in order to achieve a fluid passing style of football.

The lineup is:
GK Guruceaga (Nothing to say here)
CD Guillermo Rodriguez & Carlos Valdez (More physical central defenders, not great passers)
WB Maximiliano Olivera & Matías Aguirregaray (Good all-around wing backs, good crossing stats)
BWM Nahitan Nandez (Decent tackling and marking stats, also good technique and work rate)
BBM Tomas Costa ( Very complete midfielder, great physical stats and very nice mental and technical stats too with almost everything above 11)
DLP Luis Aguiar (Very good technical stats, great passing and technique. However, not a great defender or physical player)
AM Maximiliano Rodriguez (Also great technical attributes, passing, dribbling and technique are very high and he is very pacey too.
F9 Diego Forlan (Best player of the team in terms of technical attributes and mental attributes, lacks physical attributes such as acceleration due to his age)
TM Mauricio Affonso ( Big man with very decent technical attributes such as heading, first touch and technique)

Here are some screenshots of the starting lineup and team instructions:
View attachment 173582

View attachment 173581

Hi, I'm glad you picked 4-4-2 Diamond Narrow tactic which is my cup of tea.

And I can tell I'm quite knowledgeable of that tactic style. So my advice would be like this.

If I was in your shoes, I would convert both WB to CWB. Cuz this tactic is way too centralized in central midfield.

Therefore, most of teams have tendency to gather in the middle of the pitch and you are not able to

destroy the congested defensive lines. Then which part of the pitch would be easy to break?

Of course, both sides would be easier to break the defensive lines.

I have the same tactic but I've been using Cresswell and Janmaat as CWB with Newcastle United.

And they always achieve 7.5~9.5 ratings.

However, your both sides would be in danger if you are not capable of keeping the ball safely.

When it comes to that, I would slow the tempo a bit to decrease mistakes from midfield and defense lines.

Additionally, I would recommend you to get rid of the "Exploit The Middle". It just makes your players

keep attempting to move forward in the middle and there would be no way to break the congested defense

lines. Also, if you are interested in using CWB instead of WB, it would be necessary to turn on "Look For Overlap"

And sorry about my poor English. English is not my first language. :)

Thanks for all the advice, I´m definetely trying it out!

Some comments though, do you think Look for Overlap would be effective? I say this because both CWB have great crossing stats and I´m playing with a big Target Man with very good aerial skills. Wouldn´t Early Crosses instruction be a better choice as crosses are also very OP in this game?

Furthermore, can you think of anything which could prevent the opposition wingers from destroying my defense at the counter-attack when my CWB are on the attack?

Also, do not worry about your English mine is also not very good. ;)

Music to my ears that you're content with my advice. I hope things are working well according to your plan :)

Like I said, I've been managing Newcastle United and those teams who have specialized wingers such as Chelsea(Eden Hazard), Man Utd(Memphis Depay), and Man City(Sterling).
I usually convert them to FB(Support). But I just set them as CWB for a few minutes. And all I do is just wait and see. If we're not having plenty of possession in the middle and they try to break our defensive lines from both flanks. You should change them to FB(Support).

And what about changing your both Center Midfielders to Box To Box Mid. Then they would participate into attacking and defensing situation simultaneously. Simply, you would have more players in both situation to get the upper-hand.

What I could do is change formation to a 4-3-1-2 thus playing with two box to box midfielders when I need possesion and more offensive power since I´ve got two midfielders who can play perfectly well that role and are very well rounded both offensively and defensively. However my other midfielder is more of a playmaker so I should stick him to that role shouldn´t I?