Help! Confused about Euro Cup Sorting Rules

• Thread starter Thread starter waywardzzt
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 5
  • Views Views 1K

waywardzzt

Reaction score
Can someone explain to me what's going on? I feel like I just got screwed out of a trip to the knockout round -- this despite not taking care of business earlier in group play:

In group play I tied with a team. We each had 9 points with three wins and three losses. We each beat each other (I won 1-0, they won 4-2). I have a goal difference of +1. They have a goal difference of 0.

Sorting rules are results between teams first then goal difference. Is them winning by two goals the difference?

View attachment 213353

And go figure they score on a 92 minute strike while a man down to break a tie, but whatever...I'm not concerned about that. How do I have a higher goal difference than the team I split two games with and somehow end up on the wrong end of the group?

u can check the rules for europa league groups stage . and imo, it might be something else related which i cant remember.

I'm not an expert on this area, but i'd figure that it's their bigger (4-2) win, compared to your 1-0 that makes the difference in their favour

I ended up looking up what results between teams meant in the real life rules. Looks like my star center back's own goal in the closing minutes of game #2 screwed me. Otherwise we would have been tied and gone to goal difference.

Still, nearly getting out of the euro group stage in 2015 with a BSS team is accomplishment enough. I beat Ajax 6-1 in the last game to give myself a chance. That feels good too.

its goes with the goal difference against each other i got screwed that way aswell i was celtic and i beat real madrid 2-1 to go joint 2nd in the group and because they beat me 2-0 they went threw

Back