Help needed creating Guardiola/Bayern style 4-1-4-1

fryer

Reaction score
Ok, so I've been playing fm for some years but really only ever used downloaded tactics.

Now I want to create my own. I wanted to base it on one of the most attractive and tactically in depth tactics around so I chose Bayern under Guardiola, specifically the 4-1-4-1 used by him from 2013-2014.

I've been doing some reading;

Understanding the 4-1-4-1: Schweinsteiger, Guardiola’s vision of the single pivot, and the transition into attack - Bavarian Football Works

Creating A Tactic - Design, Create and Maintain

And it would seem that I would play the basics as;

Mentality: Attacking
Team Shape: Highly structured?

Team Instructions:

Possession
- Retain possession
- Short passing
- Play out of defence

Penetration (none)

Shape
- Play wider?
- Push higher up

Defending
- Close down more

General
- Higher tempo
- More disciplined?

You'll see I have some question marks against a few things.
1) Team Shape - So bayerns team seems highly organised, but does this mean highly structured. For example, Bayern use a lot of pressing, I'm concerned that with highly structured shaping the players may not come out of position to press quickly. Conversely I'm worried that players will act with too much freedom in a fluid system.

2)Play wider - Bayerns strategy in defence is to press the opposition to a wide position, but at the same time defending narrow. So will wide play ruin that? At the same time I need to utilise the wide players in attack.

3)More disciplined - as with the structure, should I avoid a disciplined approach as it might encourage players to stay routed to there position?

Player Roles

GK-sweeper keeper
LB - FB - support
CB - CD - Defend
CD - CD - Defend
RB - FB - Attack
DM - Half Back - Defend
LM - WM - attack
CM - Deep lying playmaker - Support
CM - CM - attack
RM - WM Support
STC - False 9 - Attack

I'm not entirely sure on how these roles compare to Bayerns, what I want to recreate is the effect of Bayerns play which starts with the DM dropping back between the centre backs and the full backs pushing on. Then to play forward from that the next move would be one of the CM's dropping back to receive the ball from the DM. I'm not quite sure how I can recreate this so advice would be appreciated.

Player Instructions

FB's - get further forward, pass it shorter, stay wider, run wide with ball
CB's - close down less, pass it shorter
DM - close down less, pass it shorter
LM/RM - close down much more
CM - pass it shorter, close down more
CM (DLP) - close down more
ST - close down more, hold up ball

The 'close down less' instruction might seem counter intuitive but my thinking is I want to keep the defensive players in position rather than running out to close down players and breaking the shape of the back line.

Player Attributes
Not sure here, can anyone recommend specific attributes for this type of tactic?
I'm thinking you'll need high technical ability, teamwork, work rate, stamina etc But I need more help defining the roles for sure.

Would appreciate any help with this type of tactic, anyone that has attempted this type of thing before?