HELP!!! Trying to emulate current man city tactics 4-2-3-1 and 4-3-3

• Thread starter Yuzo jr
  • Start date
  • Replies 11
  • Views 5K
Y

Yuzo jr

hello i need help in emulating the way city play currently in the premier league..they have been playing with 2 formations a 4-2-3-1 and a 4-3-3 with wide wingers next to the main striker,i think we have all noticed that it is quite attractive soccer they are now playing and emulating it on the game would really benefit those who want to use or are using man city..
4-2-3-1
Hart

Richards Kompany Lescott Clichy

Yaya Toure Barry

Silva Aguero Nasri

Dzeko

4-3-3
Hart

Richards Kompany Lescott Clichy

Milner Yaya Toure Barry

Silva Aguero Tevez

I haven't had much time to carefully study how they play but here is what i picked up...

starting with the 4-2-3-1...Richards is somewhat more attacking than whoever plays at left back, he goes upfront regularly as compared to the left back, the left back doesn't go forward as much, so richards would have an attacking role whereas clichy a support role, but i dont know if it should be full back or wing back...kompany is somewhat the stopper while lescott covers, so question is whether they are ball playing defenders, central or limited, yaya toure is an obvious box to box midfielder, whereas the role for barry i am not certain of, but i would think that barry is a box to box as well but given less freedom than toure and less attacking, aguero i would say is a trequartista as he plays just behind(a second striker) dzeko thus creating opportunities for him, we then have dzeko, his form this season has been magnificent...but what i have noticed about him is that he drops far less deeper this season thus contributing more which would mean that he is a deep lying forward(with attack duty ofcourse), now the question is between nasri and david silva who is the advanced playmaker ? or is it both? and if so, who is the primary playaker? surely david silva has been banging the assists, but so has nasri, so that is quite a challenge....but what i have noticed is that aguero is the primary target man and in turn he sets the assissts for dzeko.. and his target man supply is run onto ball..

The next part is the team instructions i reall dont know what to set here at all, is it fluid or very fluid philosohy, attacking or control strategy, and so on and so forth..but what i have picked up is that they play speed first touch passes, almost as though recreating total football..

When coming to their secondary formation the 4-3-3, nothing should change except that there will be no trequartista as it will be aguero who is the main striker and instead there will be one more midfielder to support toure and barry, milner on right, toure middle, and barry left..so are all 3 box to box midfielders, and if so will toure now be set to less attack minded so as to allow milner more freedom or is toure now a ball winning midfielder and milner is now the sort of attack minded box to box midfielder, however it is, there should be two box to box midfielders surrounding the man on the middle, obviously in this own, if nasri is not playing and tevez is instead, david silva is the main playmaker and tevez is an inside forward and aguero deep lying forward and target man just like in the 4-2-3-1..but if the primary playmaker in the 4-2-3-1 is nasri then should he come on as a subsitute for tevez for example what we can do is bring nasri's position to the left so he can be the playmaker(but this is only if nasri is the primary playmaker in the 4-2-3-1) but if its silva who su the primary playmaker then should you sub nasri in no changers should be made

Thus people if you have read my thread, i hope you can help me emulate man city's way of play, with high attacking, LOTS OF SHOTS ON GOAL(KEY POINT), LOST OF POSSESSION(KEY POINT AS WELL)and banging the goals, you can help me by giving me team instructions and player instructions based on what i have given you that will really seek to emulate how they REALLY play, or if you think i have given you enough ideas to go ahead and make this tactic on your own..please do, but please post it, it will only be wonderful if there is lots of possession, passes, shots on goal, and goals, the speed first touch play of man city is awesome now, almost barca like, the players have very good understanding, so lets help each other to bring that to football manager..so please help people..

Last edited:
I see this emulate according by your mind or with real life stats ? Cause for me city didnt exactly play like what your describe (or may I'm wrong as I'm not following them :D)

And you say about lots of possession, passes, shots on goal, and goals. So this what generally people want with possession tactics.

Aguero plays as striker with Dzeko, he just roams and drops deep to get the ball. So more like a 4-4-2, other striker dropping deep and wingerds spending much of their time inside.

I feel they play a 442 as stated above with Aguero dropping deep to get the ball to run at the defenders.

Id use the 4-2-3-1 formation I feel it suits Man City better.

Id set it like the following:

Hart
Richards/Zabaleta ---- Kompany ---- Lescott ---- Clichy
Yaya ---- Barry/De Jong
Silva ---- Nasri ---- Aguero
Tevez/Dzeko

City tactics...

Option A:

View attachment 195633

Team settings:

Philosphy: Fluid
Strategy: Attack
Passing: More direct
Creative Freedom: Default (set individual PI's sparingly with high creative freedom)
Closing down: Pressing
Tackling: Default
Marking: Zonal
Crossing: Default (if you have big strikers with good jumping and heading then float, otherwise defualt as it mixes it up)
Roaming: Roaming

Defensive Line: High (on the border of normal and high)
Tempo: Quick (just on border of normal and quick, this helps with the speed of counter and attacking)
Time wasting: Sometimes (just on border of never and sometimes)
Focus passing: through the centre
Counter: No
Offside: No

Similar to this:

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...ng/65421-raikan007s-perfect-4-3-3-tactic.html

Option B:

The original Deathslayer tactic:

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...raining/82379-deathslayer%99-raikan007-9.html

Option A:

View attachment 195633

Team settings:

Philosphy: Fluid
Strategy: Attack
Passing: More direct
Creative Freedom: Default (set individual PI's sparingly with high creative freedom)
Closing down: Pressing
Tackling: Default
Marking: Zonal
Crossing: Default (if you have big strikers with good jumping and heading then float, otherwise defualt as it mixes it up)
Roaming: Roaming

Defensive Line: High (on the border of normal and high)
Tempo: Quick (just on border of normal and quick, this helps with the speed of counter and attacking)
Time wasting: Sometimes (just on border of never and sometimes)
Focus passing: through the centre
Counter: No
Offside: No

Similar to this:

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...ng/65421-raikan007s-perfect-4-3-3-tactic.html

Option B:

The original Deathslayer tactic:

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/football-manager-2011-tactics-training/82379-deathslayer%99-raikan007-9.html

Wondered how long it would be before you posted your tactic ;)

hahaha, I actually took quite a while to draw up my little picture above and give him guidance on how to go about setting up his own tactic :)

Of course Raikan tactic is the better one for this :D

P.S : I had wanted to suggest my tactics as a basic. But my tactic didnt allowed the players to run with ball often. Totally different with MCity play. :D

Of course Raikan tactic is the better one for this :D

P.S : I had wanted to suggest my tactics as a basic. But my tactic didnt allowed the players to run with ball often. Totally different with MCity play. :D

Altough there are players dribbling with the ball (Nasri, Aguero, Silva mostly), they play very good passing football, quick passing and nice one-twos.

yep, iv set the formation to a 4-2-3-1, i have the team instructions figured out,jus a few player instructions left to get the realistic play

---------- Post added at 04:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:31 PM ----------

and that is exactly what i am trying to bring into the game

---------- Post added at 04:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:32 PM ----------

u should watch them more often to see how they play, its exactly like how i described it

---------- Post added at 04:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:33 PM ----------

thanks, i will use your ideas based on what you just drew, but in form of a 4-2-3-1

yep, iv set the formation to a 4-2-3-1, i have the team instructions figured out,jus a few player instructions left to get the realistic play

---------- Post added at 04:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:31 PM ----------

and that is exactly what i am trying to bring into the game

---------- Post added at 04:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:32 PM ----------

u should watch them more often to see how they play, its exactly like how i described it

---------- Post added at 04:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:33 PM ----------

thanks, i will use your ideas based on what you just drew, but in form of a 4-2-3-1

It isn't a 4-2-3-1, it was until Aguero came in, but now I think you should use the "modern centre forward" role created by iNickStuff, you can find it from amateur tacticians chalkboards thread.

About City's current tactic, I think Mancini just set a simple 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 . The fullbacks are bombing forward while the CM hold their position in front of the CB (but Yaya Toure is allowed to get forward more) and the attacking trio (Silva, Nasri, Aguero) is allowed to do everything they want, and Dzeko play as fox in the box. They are playing beautiful flowing football this season because the signing of Aguero and Nasri (notice last season their football was **** boring) . So I guess City's good start is because the quality of their player, not Mancini's brilliant tactical mind