Help with defending/attacking set pieces?

• Thread starter Thread starter Scotty98TR
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 3
  • Views Views 3K

Scotty98TR

Reaction score
I am Arsenal, just finished the 1st in which I won the domestic double.

But I got knocked out the Champions League in the first round by Barca, despite having most of the possesion at home, where I lost 2-0 (Won 4-3 away after being 3-0 down)

But in the 2-0 loss, the first was from a corner. And although Arsenal are well known for being ineffective at corners due to their short players, surely I should be able to stop Villa? Plus I had fellaini, Mertesacker, Chamakh and Vermaelen!

Also in the league I didn't score a single corner, and only 1 free-kick! I was also repeatedly told by Cruyff (My Assistant) that we need to work on corners!

For defending corners, I set my 2 CBs to Mark tall players. I had my 2 full-backs on the posts, with Gervinho (My AMR) staying up front and Cazorla waiting on the edge of the area. I then set all my other players to man mark.
I also had defending set-pieces as my match preparation for most of the time!

Thanks for any help!!! :D

Hard to say where you go wrong with attacking corners as you have not written anything about your setup ( although focusing in defensive set pieces will take away some of the focus on the attacking set pieces).

As for conceding from a corner, naturally Villa can score against you. They/He is/are professional footballers. Just because you are better in the air does not mean they dont stand a chance of scoring goals from set pieces. After all, he knows how to turn up at th right place at the right time.

Last edited:
Hard to say where you go wrong with attacking corners as you have not written anything about your setup ( although focusing in defensive set pieces will take away some of the focus on the attacking set pieces).

As for conceding from a corner, naturally Villa can score against you. They/He is/are professional footballers. Just because you are better in the air does not mean they dont stand a chance of scoring goals from set pieces. After all, he knows how to turn up at th right place at the right time.

Fair enough about not being able to stop him, but as I said I always get told by Cruyff that we need to work on defensiv corners, and we have conceded quite a few from them.

And sorry, I thought I had written up what I do for attacking corners, must have deleted that part by accident :/

I have my 2 fullbacks and my defensive midfielder as stay back if needed, and have Cazorla on the edge of the area (Because he has 20 long shots) and I have Chamakh as attack near post, Mertesacker attack back post and Vermaelen/Koscielny as attack from deep, everyone else is set as go forward, and the delivery is just set to mixed.

Back