Help with Emulating Man utd - Season 2007/08

Cris7

Reaction score
I would like to play like Manchester United with Ronaldo in season 2007/08 in FM 2013.
Can somebody reccommend tactics and role ?
Please help

Last edited:
I changed the name of the thread so you can get better help and get the discussion going :D

The actual shape was an asymmetric 4231. However, for the purposes of fm I think you are best setting a defensive 433 formation with 2 dms and a cm and then using the player roles and instructions to get the team playing how united did that season. Asymmetric formations are hard to create on fm, I only really got it working wonders on fm 09. For now i think its easier putting the players in a basic formation then instructing them to drop deep/ make runs etc which would essentially give you the asymmetric shape they played with. Hope that makes sense.

It's the same way managers write on paper they are playing a 442 but due to the instructions they give their players it often looks in-game like they are playing a 4411 or 4231.

The aim here is to have a balanced mentality throughout the defensive line and the 2 holding midfielders, the 3rd, more attacking midfielder had a slightly more fluid mentality and the top 3 were playing an incredibly fluid game. You definitely want to be playing and attacking strategy and tick counter attack as the team utilized that too. Again the back 6 played a more short passing game whilst the top 3 were much more direct. The front 3 closed down heavily but once the ball passed them the team stood off the tackle and allowed pressure before winning the ball back outside the box and getting the ball back quickly to the more attacking cm who launched a fast counter attack with the front three (The best example of this can be seen against arsenal in the champions league semi final 2nd leg).

I have a bit more information on this setup, but here's just something to kickstart the discussion. I'd be interested to see TBH's thoughts on this actually.

According to Tactical Thereoms 10 this is how they set up (sorry the line up is Middlesbrough - never worked with them LOL)

View attachment 371615

The formation tries to get the best out of Ronaldo in the AMR position. With Ronaldo, Tevez and Rooney in the front 3 positions they could be used across three positions. Evra as wing back helped out since Giggs at ML had little if no pace.

Line up from Tactical Thereoms 10 was

GK - Van der Sar
DL - Evra
DC - Vidic
DC - Ferdinand
DR - Brown
DMC - Hargreaves/Carrick
MCr - Scholes/Fletcher
ML - Giggs/Park
AMCL - Tevez/Rooney
AMR - Ronaldo
FC - Rooney/Tevez

It does not mention the style of play or the passing focus - thinks thats up to you to decide - hope that it helps.

Link to Tactical Thereoms - FM-Britain - Tactical Theorems ’10 | Football Manager 2012

I saw one from fm12 i made it myself never tried with FM13 Want me to upload it ??