Help with Finances

hembrough747

Reaction score
So the scenario is this....

I took over at Chelmsford City (Blue Square South) 4 seasons ago. We have been promoted three times in a row during the last three seasons. I have not spent alot on transfers, and have actually only ever paid money for about 3 players (about 10 grand each).

But....my club is financially insecure and in debt. I have arranged friendlies to get some money at the start of the season. But because there is no money my board won't upgrade the 5000 seater stadium or anything else that might bring in more money.

Looking at my finances i see that i spent 1.6 million in scouting costs last year...i'm debating whether or not i should fire all my scouts (just for a year to generate some profit)....any other ideas?

Basically, you just have to find a good wage balance, sure you'll make a loss over the course of a season, but check the last 4 years and see if you are making a profit, also check the length of the loans remaining, you should be able to figure out how much longer you will be like this.
Other forms of possible revenue would be to grab free transfers in January and sell them in the summer, reduce the wage bill by using youth/regens and selling more established higher paid players. Commercial links to other clubs would increase merchanising, and a decent parent club based in England or a top euro nation would allow you to take decent youngsters without having to pay their wages, as the parent club does this, a good Goalkeeper/CM and ST would carry you through the season ahead, basically for free.

Firing the scouts is an option, perhaps just do a staff search to see if you can get scouts as good as you've got for less wages?

Basically, you just have to find a good wage balance, sure you'll make a loss over the course of a season, but check the last 4 years and see if you are making a profit, also check the length of the loans remaining, you should be able to figure out how much longer you will be like this.
Other forms of possible revenue would be to grab free transfers in January and sell them in the summer, reduce the wage bill by using youth/regens and selling more established higher paid players. Commercial links to other clubs would increase merchanising, and a decent parent club based in England or a top euro nation would allow you to take decent youngsters without having to pay their wages, as the parent club does this, a good Goalkeeper/CM and ST would carry you through the season ahead, basically for free.

Firing the scouts is an option, perhaps just do a staff search to see if you can get scouts as good as you've got for less wages?

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately the board will not consider another parent/feeder club. Also, selling players isn't really an option as most of my players are worth around 50 grand and clubs prefer not to pay for their players in the lower leagues. I have sacked all my scouts except my best one and cancelled all his trips for the year.

Back