Help with Fulham 3rd season

jamesmccree

Reaction score
I'm currently maanager of Fulham in the 3rd season of the game having taken over two months into the second season when they were languishing in the Championship having been relegated in the first season. I quickly whipped the team into shape and won the Championship with over 100 points and 100 goals with a good defensive record as well. I had a problem though that Hangeland and Senderos (i know he's useless in real life so the Championship could be his level!!!) were out of contract at the end of the season and were leaving on Bosman's so they had to be replaced.

I thought I had pulled off a coup by replacing them with Dann, Roger Johnson and Boyata but I am shipping goals left, right and centre (literally) and currently after 10 or so games am bottom with 2 points having conceded at least 2 goals in every game and 3,4,5 or 6 even in others. It always seems to be one player having an absolute stormer and my players not even able to get close to them. I even went with 4 defenders and 2 defensive midfielders in my last game and still conceded 5 to Sunderland (who I was manager of in my first season but got sacked after finishing 12th and showing interest in the Liverpool job, but that's another matter!!!)

Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to get the best out of these particular players to stop me conceding, scoring goals is not a problem, jusst conceding. I have tried amending my formation, tactics, training, team meetings etc to put a stop to the rot but still no joy.

My first 11 is:
GK Stockdale
DR Baird
DL Briggs
DC Dann, Johnson, Boyata or Pablo
DM Abu (man city) or Sidwell
CM Murphy
MR Ruiz
ML Marveux
CF Zamora, and some mint regen player from Germany who is going to be a massive star!!!

Just want peoples advice before daring to go back on as I was really looking forward to this season and now I am having my worst ever!!!

Sorry about the length of the post by the way!!!

On Match Preparation change it to "Defensive positioning" that always sorts it out for me.

set your central defenders to zonal marking and no tight marking! closing down in own area!

set your fullbacks to close down whole pitch, man marking and tight marking!

set the rest of your team (even fullbacks) to close down at the same level!

@Raikan: Your idea of setting closing down at the same level for everyone is simply brilliant! The team moves like a single man, an old Sacchi's dream is becoming true :D

what formation and what style do you use?

Back